Start by marking “Alice Walker.” as Want to Read:
Alice Walker.

Alice Walker.

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Boxed Set, 0 pages
Published August 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Alice Walker., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice Walker.

Katelyn Bradbury
Oct 14, 2007 Katelyn Bradbury rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone able to deal with the cruelties of life.
Katleyn Bradbury
Mrs.Kuhn
English 111
14 October 2007

While reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker I found myself uncomfortable, yet compelled to discover more about Ceile and her dysfunctional family. I "asked" Ceile a few questions. Even though the book was written as Ceile's diary, at some times it was dificult to understand what she was discribing.
1. What was it like to be constantly looked down upon by the men in your life(Mr.____ and Alphonso)?
-The men made me feel badly about myself. I lea
d-pain
The Color Purple is a good book. If you seen the movie, then you know what it is about. If you don't know then it is about a young girl Ceilie and her sister, Nettie. Celie is 14 years old, and she has already have two kids. They are by her stepdaddy. Ceilie's stepdaddy takes the kids off, so she never got to see them grow up. There real father died, so Fonso, the stepdaddy, marries the mother. Ceilie and Nettie mother loose her mind and goes crazy afther her husband dies cause of him being lyn ...more
Karen
The story of an african american woman and her daily life living with a husband she was forced to marry, looking to be loved and being apart from her only happiness; her sister nettie.
She endures pain and hardships as well as life-changing people. She builds a family through blood and friends and recording it as if she were writing to God or her distant that sister she misses terribly.

I thought it was a good book; its hard to relate to considering we live in a modern era in time, whereas this bo
Kriangkrai Vathanalaoha
Dramatic sequences of black literature. I found this book quite fascinating to describe its hidden depression over the edge. Nettie and Celie are quite tremendous characters in this one for the fact that they reflect the purest love of familial relationship in time no matter what. Men are cruel, aren't they?
Jeni
I was prompted to read this book after seeing the musical...a strange order, I know. But, I loved the way it was written like a diary. A book filled with turmoil and emotion.
Maggie
Syd
This was my last shot at Walker's poetry. It's hard for me to conceive that I could like her prose so much and not her poetry...but there it is.
Morgan
This was part of my radio book club. We could have spent two hours on this book. So many great themes to discuss and dynamic characters.
Brittany Yelland
great book sad but eventually in the end the character grows strong - read it in high school loved it then
Wendy Reed
Everyone gets in a hard place but we must be strong enough to come out of that place.
Sarah kerr
Changed my life when I read it, way back when...
Shannon Magers
The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1985)
Heather Ingerson
such a great writer!
Rebecca Varicak
The Color Purple
Lakesha Heath
good book
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Tarshia Austin
Tarshia Austin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Mdeych
Mdeych marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Kirsten Joosten
Kirsten Joosten marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nikkameefarillon
Nikkameefarillon marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Terri D
Terri D marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Gabrie'l Harris
Gabrie'l Harris marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Tory Smith
Tory Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Honorable Azis
Honorable Azis marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
  • The Catcher in the Rye/Franny and Zooey/Nine Stories/Raise High the Roof Beam
  • To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee: Novel Guide
  • The Secret Apartment
  • Part of Me: Stories of a Louisiana Family
  • Slaughterhouse Five; The Sirens Of Titan; Player Piano; Cat's Cradle; Breakfast Of Champions; Mother Night
  • The Ways of My Grandmothers
  • I Love Myself When I Am Laughing... And Then Again: A Zora Neale Hurston Reader
  • Three Genres: The Writing of Poetry, Fiction, and Drama
  • Women's Strength Training Anatomy
  • A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: Text, Criticism & Notes (Viking Critical Library)
  • Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  • On Deconstruction
  • Alice Walker: A Life
  • The Jungle
  • Three Plays of Euripides: Alcestis/Medea/The Bacchae
  • One Way Forward: The Outsider's Guide to Fixing the Republic
  • The Desert of Ice
  • Shakespeare's Kitchen
Alice Walker (b. 1944), one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, an ...more
More about Alice Walker...
The Color Purple Possessing the Secret of Joy The Temple Of My Familiar In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose Meridian