Start by marking “2030: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids” as Want to Read:
2030: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids

2030: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Winner of the 2012 Grand Canyon Reader Award for a Non-fiction book

Global events and new technology change how we live from moment to moment. So, what will our world be like in twenty years? Come take a look as futurists Amy Zuckerman and James Daly examine what a kid?s daily life might be like in the year 2030. Inspired and informed by trends and scientifi c and technolo
Published March 19th 2009 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about 2030, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2030

Kathryn
Jan 19, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This is a really fun book that explores "A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids" (to put this in perspective for kids reading it today, they might be interested to know that this could be what life is like for THEIR own children, twenty or so years from now!) It is based on some scientific research and advances that are going on now, and has an extensive bibliography in case you are curious to read more about things like teeny tiny robots that are injected into your body to help fight diseases, sp ...more
Rachel
Apr 10, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
The book 2030: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow’s Kids gives its readers an insight into the future. This non-fiction book written by Amy Zuckerman and James Daley tells a story about what a typical day will be like for a kid in 2030 based on current research. Many inventions are introduced including a dog collar that allows the dog to “speak” and holograms that allow students to travel to another location and time period. A fiction book that it could be paired with is The Outlandish Adventures of ...more
Brenda
Nov 28, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful look at what a futuristic day would be like for a child. 2030 includes some wonderful illustrations that are bright, colorful and would be very engaging to children. The information presented is gleamed from what scientists believe are the trends for the future and some really cool gadgets are highlighted. I especially loved the idea of broccoli that tastes like fries.
Dylan
Mar 31, 2011 Dylan rated it really liked it
2030 by Amy Zuckerman is a GOOD book. It is about what life for kids is like in 2030 it is fun and entreating book. My favorite part of this book is when they say what buildings are made of. They are made out of Lego’s with plumbing and electrical wiring already built in. I also liked what the transportation was - double decker buses and cars that don't need steering wheels. The cars also tell you if traffic is on a certain road and where it isn't on other roads to get you to your destination, j ...more
Josh Jackson
A great book to have students thinking about their own future. Some very neat ideas are in here - with the subtle hint of the needed sustainability of our environment and lifestyles. A great book to talk about scientific advances. Even a hint to the future of Media Centers but a continued need to fall asleep with a good book :)
Rebecca
May 21, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
-Schools made of interlocking plastic blocks (LEGOs?!?)
-Magnetic hoverboards (use magnets' repelling properties)
-Final page - drift off to sleep with favorite entertainment...a BOOK! How will we read books in the future? On a device? On glasses? On your wrist? On something smaller than your hand? Good segway into SRP.
Logan Day
2030: A day in the Life of Tomorrows kids by Amy Zuckerman funny and makes an easy read for those student who are starting with chapter books, this book still provides picture that make the story. The adventures in this book will capture the read and keep them hooked till the end.
Dana
Jan 21, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
The authors have created a fascinating look at what life might be like for kids in 2030 - from a data orb that allows them to stay in touch with people all over the world to environmental friendly materials used to build homes and schools to places of entertainment, like malls that use moving tracks that transport people from store to store.
The authors used available research to make their suppositions.
Really enjoyable.
Cathy
Jul 13, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, edes-546
Daly, J., Zuckerman, A. (2009). 2030: A day in the life of tomorrow’s kids. New York, NY: Dutton Children’s Books, Penguin Young Readers Group.
Explore a futuristic day in the life of a boy in 2030. Discover exciting new technologies that are being developed today and how they will be used in everyday life in the future.
While John Manders’ illustrations are captivating and lively, they seem out of balance with the weighty amount of information in the text. First glance made me categorize this as
Elizabeth Meadows
Aug 29, 2015 Elizabeth Meadows rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, tweens
Fun look at a day in the life of a kid in the future, with lots of technological gadgets and innovative designs.
Cortny Green
Nov 06, 2015 Cortny Green rated it really liked it
2030: A day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids is a cute little short book about a fictional future. The story is fun and creative with interesting ideas ( clothes that can absorb or reflect heat and talking dogs). The book allows students to step into a futuristic world and explore countless of possibilities.

Have the students read the book or read the book to them, and then have them create their own futuristic gadget. Using different arts and crafts, let the students bring their ideas to life and
L13_Patty
Feb 13, 2013 L13_Patty rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
A fascinating look at what the world may look like in 2030! The author notes that some of the speculated gadgets and creations were inspired by trends and scientific research. A teenage boy takes us through a day in his life. From Talking dog collars to smart magnetized skateboards, this adventure into the future is amazing. There is also an environmental component woven within the story. Sit back and enjoy the ride!
Kimberlydaniels
Nov 26, 2010 Kimberlydaniels rated it really liked it
Shelves: 40-books
Genre: Science Fiction/Concept Copyright:2009

FUN BOOK, but I am a science fiction freak anyhow. I had fun seeing the life of a boy in 2030...I loved thinking to myself about all the gadgets and new ideas "could that really happen?" I think in a small lit circle this book would be fun to read, so much to go through.
Ann
Dec 30, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
I originally thought of this for a battle of the books option, but the picture book format doesn't work. Instead, I found a good option for higher grade read alouds and for young readers reading at a higher level. Fun to see what we think life might be like in 20 years!
Pam
Jan 23, 2010 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
After all the dismal political, financial, judicial news of the week, this book was a shot in the arm. Thinking about the future is the best way to ignore the foibles of my fellow citizens. Good book to borrow from the library but not to buy.
Anjali Derhgawen
Mar 11, 2012 Anjali Derhgawen rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought that this was an extremely interesting book. It is about how the world has progressed with time and what things are going to be like in 2030. It was not a fantasy book because all of the ideas that they gave were possible.
Allison
I can't even believe this brand new book belongs in non-fiction. It talks about how in 20 years we will apparently each own a talking robot, and play virtual baseball through a crystal ball. No thank you.
Karen Arendt
Jul 21, 2009 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very interesting ideas about how technology will change the way we live in just 20 short years! I found it interesting and thought provoking. Children will find it cool, no doubt!
Henry
Jul 31, 2013 Henry rated it it was amazing
It's about the future. Animal translators! Robots that clean the house for you. Holograms--I'm looking forward to the holograms because I can have an Elvis concert in my room.
Jack
Jul 23, 2009 Jack rated it it was amazing
This will excite kids to perhaps become scientists and researchers. Plus it'll get them excited about the future. I really like that idea.
Kevin Hodgson
Jul 28, 2011 Kevin Hodgson rated it it was amazing
I really like the ideas here, and I have used this in my classroom. A good resource for the elementary/middle school classroom
Anne-Marie Lavoie
Mar 04, 2010 Anne-Marie Lavoie rated it it was amazing
My fourth graders really enjoyed this book.
Hilary
Jul 29, 2009 Hilary marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Recommended at the BYU Symposium.
Gina Pecoraro
Jan 31, 2010 Gina Pecoraro marked it as to-read
Shelves: award-winning
Book Links 2009 "Lasting Connections"
Buzz
Nov 24, 2013 Buzz rated it liked it
It's ok.
Akki Bakki
Akki Bakki marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Wisarut Wattanachote
Wisarut Wattanachote marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Sathya Prasanth
Sathya Prasanth is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Sangita Kakar
Sangita Kakar rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
  • Georgia in Hawaii: When Georgia O'Keeffe Painted What She Pleased
  • Years of Dust
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • In Flanders Fields: The Story of the Poem by John McCrae
  • Can You Say Peace?
  • The Vincenzo Adventure (Fingertip Island, #1)
  • Dessert First
  • Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354
  • The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses
  • Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully
  • The Three Little Tamales
  • The Quest for the Tree Kangaroo: An Expedition to the Cloud Forest of New Guinea (Scientists in the Field Series)
  • After All, You're Callie Boone