2030: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Winner of the 2012 Grand Canyon Reader Award for a Non-fiction book

Global events and new technology change how we live from moment to moment. So, what will our world be like in twenty years? Come take a look as futurists Amy Zuckerman and James Daly examine what a kid?s daily life might be like in the year 2030. Inspired and informed by trends and scientifi c and technolo...more
Published March 19th 2009 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about 2030, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2030

Kathryn
This is a really fun book that explores "A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids" (to put this in perspective for kids reading it today, they might be interested to know that this could be what life is like for THEIR own children, twenty or so years from now!) It is based on some scientific research and advances that are going on now, and has an extensive bibliography in case you are curious to read more about things like teeny tiny robots that are injected into your body to help fight diseases, sp...more
Rachel
The book 2030: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow’s Kids gives its readers an insight into the future. This non-fiction book written by Amy Zuckerman and James Daley tells a story about what a typical day will be like for a kid in 2030 based on current research. Many inventions are introduced including a dog collar that allows the dog to “speak” and holograms that allow students to travel to another location and time period. A fiction book that it could be paired with is The Outlandish Adventures of...more
Brenda
This is a wonderful look at what a futuristic day would be like for a child. 2030 includes some wonderful illustrations that are bright, colorful and would be very engaging to children. The information presented is gleamed from what scientists believe are the trends for the future and some really cool gadgets are highlighted. I especially loved the idea of broccoli that tastes like fries.
Dylan
2030 by Amy Zuckerman is a GOOD book. It is about what life for kids is like in 2030 it is fun and entreating book. My favorite part of this book is when they say what buildings are made of. They are made out of Lego’s with plumbing and electrical wiring already built in. I also liked what the transportation was - double decker buses and cars that don't need steering wheels. The cars also tell you if traffic is on a certain road and where it isn't on other roads to get you to your destination, j...more
Josh Jackson
A great book to have students thinking about their own future. Some very neat ideas are in here - with the subtle hint of the needed sustainability of our environment and lifestyles. A great book to talk about scientific advances. Even a hint to the future of Media Centers but a continued need to fall asleep with a good book :)
Becky
-Schools made of interlocking plastic blocks (LEGOs?!?)
-Magnetic hoverboards (use magnets' repelling properties)
-Final page - drift off to sleep with favorite entertainment...a BOOK! How will we read books in the future? On a device? On glasses? On your wrist? On something smaller than your hand? Good segway into SRP.
Dana
The authors have created a fascinating look at what life might be like for kids in 2030 - from a data orb that allows them to stay in touch with people all over the world to environmental friendly materials used to build homes and schools to places of entertainment, like malls that use moving tracks that transport people from store to store.
The authors used available research to make their suppositions.
Really enjoyable.
Cathy
Daly, J., Zuckerman, A. (2009). 2030: A day in the life of tomorrow’s kids. New York, NY: Dutton Children’s Books, Penguin Young Readers Group.
Explore a futuristic day in the life of a boy in 2030. Discover exciting new technologies that are being developed today and how they will be used in everyday life in the future.
While John Manders’ illustrations are captivating and lively, they seem out of balance with the weighty amount of information in the text. First glance made me categorize this as...more
L13_Patty
A fascinating look at what the world may look like in 2030! The author notes that some of the speculated gadgets and creations were inspired by trends and scientific research. A teenage boy takes us through a day in his life. From Talking dog collars to smart magnetized skateboards, this adventure into the future is amazing. There is also an environmental component woven within the story. Sit back and enjoy the ride!
Kimberlydaniels
Genre: Science Fiction/Concept Copyright:2009

FUN BOOK, but I am a science fiction freak anyhow. I had fun seeing the life of a boy in 2030...I loved thinking to myself about all the gadgets and new ideas "could that really happen?" I think in a small lit circle this book would be fun to read, so much to go through.
Ann
I originally thought of this for a battle of the books option, but the picture book format doesn't work. Instead, I found a good option for higher grade read alouds and for young readers reading at a higher level. Fun to see what we think life might be like in 20 years!
Pam
After all the dismal political, financial, judicial news of the week, this book was a shot in the arm. Thinking about the future is the best way to ignore the foibles of my fellow citizens. Good book to borrow from the library but not to buy.
Anjali Derhgawen
I thought that this was an extremely interesting book. It is about how the world has progressed with time and what things are going to be like in 2030. It was not a fantasy book because all of the ideas that they gave were possible.
Allison
I can't even believe this brand new book belongs in non-fiction. It talks about how in 20 years we will apparently each own a talking robot, and play virtual baseball through a crystal ball. No thank you.
Karen Arendt
Very interesting ideas about how technology will change the way we live in just 20 short years! I found it interesting and thought provoking. Children will find it cool, no doubt!
Henry
It's about the future. Animal translators! Robots that clean the house for you. Holograms--I'm looking forward to the holograms because I can have an Elvis concert in my room.
Jack
This will excite kids to perhaps become scientists and researchers. Plus it'll get them excited about the future. I really like that idea.
Kevin Hodgson
I really like the ideas here, and I have used this in my classroom. A good resource for the elementary/middle school classroom
Anne-Marie Lavoie
My fourth graders really enjoyed this book.
Hilary
Jul 29, 2009 Hilary marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Recommended at the BYU Symposium.
Gina Pecoraro
Jan 31, 2010 Gina Pecoraro marked it as to-read
Shelves: award-winning
Book Links 2009 "Lasting Connections"
Diana Rosa
Diana Rosa marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nelly Perez
Nelly Perez marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Sanjit
Sanjit marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jun 25, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Supply Chain Management (Express Exec) Exporting & Importing: How to Buy and Sell Profitably Across Borders International Standards Desk Refernce 2030: A Day in the Life of Tomorrow's Kids Managing Technology