What Lincoln Said

What Lincoln Said

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The story of one of Ameri a's most revered presidents--in his own words!

"I could scarcely believe my eyes. By honest work I had earned a dollar." Abraham Lincoln resolved always to work hard and be honest. With much perseverance, he became a lawyer and a politician.

"Just think of such a one as me as president!" he laughed when his wife said he could lead the country.

But Li...more
Published December 23rd 2008 by Collins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Lincoln Said, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Lincoln Said

CH13_Lisa Matthews
This book summed up Abraham Lincoln’s childhood, early career and some of his presidential challenges as told in his own words. Upon earning two silver half dollar for rowing two men out to their steamboat, Abe wonder what else could he do if he tried and so begin Abraham Lincoln journey. As an adult her worked several jobs but his most important job that lead to his presidency was that of a lawyer.

What Lincoln Said highlighted a time in American when there were four million slaves in the Unite...more
Alice
This is a very concise and basic history of Lincolns life...easy so that kids could understand it. I also like in the back it clarifies and expounds on some of the important historical facts.

My only complaints on this book were the pictures are not my cup of tea, but I think they were trying to make Lincoln look gangly and weird...over emphasizing his already sharp features.
Kathy Ogg
This was a fun book to read. I enoyed the idea that the author took actual quotes from Lincoln's life and put a context to the statements. It helped me to understand lincoln as a person. Anytime we have a person as famous as Lincoln was, they become larger than life. Thompson brought a human quality to lincoln which other books do not do. This is a great book for young kids that does not rehash lincoln's life but gives a different prespective for kids. I want this for my school.
Terry
Learn about Abraham Lincoln's life in his own words. Specific events - like how he earned his first dollar - are presented side by side with some of his most recognizable statements. This picture book uses famous quotes by Abraham Lincoln to tell the story of his life.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.

Sandy Brehl
Primary source quotations, well-chosen and fluently embedded in the narrative text. At first the illustrations were not appealing. After reading the illustrator's notes I changed my opinion. Not my favorite Lincoln book, but a great addition to any collection. (Compare to Abe's Honest Words by Doreen Rappaport, illustrated by Kadir Nelson.
Liz
Liked the actual Lincoln quotes that were sprinkled throughout the story. (Would have liked the sources used. Did I miss those somewhere?) Appreciated the illustrator's note, and I looked at the art in a more appealing way. Good to use with the plethora of Lincoln books that have been published in the last three years!
Shelli
This is a small picture book that tells a little bit about one of our nation’s most beloved presidents at a level that small children can understand. This book is good for young readers but not something informational enough for students to use as a resource for a report.
Kayla
This is another biography that uses many quotes to tell the story. The quotes are wisely chosen and I feel that it enhances the story. This is great book that describes who Abraham Lincoln was and what he did that he found to be the most important thing he did while president.
Jennie
Jul 02, 2009 Jennie added it
Recommends it for: K-2
Recommended to Jennie by: Marianne Costello
Using the primary source of direct quotes from Abraham Lincoln, a story of his life is told with emphasis on his presidency. Includes a biographical timeline and directly addresses “Abraham Lincoln and Slavery” on last last pages.
Julie Heidingsfelder
Biography. I think I learned more about Abe Lincoln from this book than from any other source in the past. Sad, I know! I appreciate how the book relates his humble beginnings and good nature. He was the all-american success story.
Amy
I really enjoyed this book. I liked it much better than Abe's Honest Words by Doreen Rappaport because author, Sarah Thomson was actually able to incorporate Lincoln's words (quotes) into the story she was telling.
Sam Bloom
There have been so many new picture books about Lincoln this year... and with such a variety of choices, this one certainly wouldn't even be in the top ten.
Sandybear76
good book and nice illustrations. Each page or so told a story aobut Lincoln and used something he said about the event happening within the pages.
Ashley
Great book for a history lesson. Gives details about Lincoln life, in his own words. Very interesting, and I actually learned a few things.
Jennifer Nydahl