Start by marking “The Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse: 1509-1659” as Want to Read:
The Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse: 1509-1659

The Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse: 1509-1659

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The era between the accession of Henry VIII and the crisis of the English republic in 1659 formed one of the most fertile epochs in world literature. This anthology offers a broad selection of its poetry, and includes a wide range of works by the great poets of the age - notably Sir Philip Sidney, Edmund Sepnser, John Donne, William Shakespeare and John Milton. Poems by le ...more
Published September 1st 1993 by Penguin Classics (first published March 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse

Andrea Zuvich
This is a very good collection of some of the best verse the Renaissance created for us. I recommend it heartily for those who want some beauty in their day, who also appreciate and enjoy reading works from this time period.
Charles
Reading & re-reading. A book of wonders. I first found Sir Walter Ralegh's 21th and Last Book of the Ocean to Cynthia here, and that alone is well worth the price, and more. I love this book.

updated feb 2011: no change. This is one of the best "period" anthologies I have ever encountered.
Emylie
Oct 07, 2012 Emylie marked it as to-read
Shelves: school, started
There is no way I'll be able to work through this entire book, but I'll see how far I get...
Alys
Alys marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Dom Salmon
Dom Salmon marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Tim Collins
Tim Collins marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Omar Sukkarieh
Omar Sukkarieh marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Ayako
Ayako added it
May 11, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Jul 23, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Tom And
Tom And marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Writing the English Republic: Poetry, Rhetoric and Politics, 1627 1660 Poetry and Politics in the English Renaissance The Way Things Are: The De Rerum Natura The Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse: 1509-1659 (Penguin Classics)