Start by marking “Records of Shelley, Byron, and the Author” as Want to Read:
Records of Shelley, Byron, and the Author

Records of Shelley, Byron, and the Author

In 1822, after having been discharged from the British navy, deserted by his wife, and as good as disowned by his father, the thirty-two year old Edward John Trelawny set off for Italy to make the acquaintance of his hero, Lord Byron. "I have met today the personification of my Corsair," Byron wrote in a letter. "He sleeps with the poem under his pillow, and all his past a ...more
Published May 31st 2000 by NYRB Classics (first published April 28th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Records of Shelley, Byron, and the Author, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Records of Shelley, Byron, and the Author

--Records of Shelley, Byron and the Author

Appendix
Notes
Melinda Jane Harrison
We all have to ask ourselves what would have heppened if Shelley and Byron had not met Edward John Trelawny or if EJT had not met Shelley and Byron. Would history have changed?

I like Trelawny more than others. He's extremely interesting as a person and as a person who knew he had met genius.

Trelawny's work is always uneven, but as a glimpse into the lives of Shelley and Byron in those last days, it is essential reading.
Al Maki
Mar 29, 2014 Al Maki rated it really liked it
I've heard that there is some disagreement about the truthfulness of this book. Personally, I hope it is true. It certainly reads like an honest man or at least one who believes himself. His descriptions are vivid. You can feel the wind on your face coming off the sea at Shelley's funeral. I was an admirer of Shelley before reading this and admired him all the more after finishing it.
Eric
May 07, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
I realize the world was smaller then, and circles were narrower, but there's something wonderful about how people crossed paths even in foreign parts, in cafés in Geneva, in piazzas in Italy. It wasn't unlikely to find a dozen famous writers in one room by accident. Trelawney evokes this with brio and sharp opinion, and makes it convincing even though I know he is an unreliable narrator.
Catherine Corman
May 31, 2010 Catherine Corman rated it liked it
Byron formed his opinion of the inhabitants of this planet from books; personally he knew as little about them as if he belonged to some other.

-Edward Trelawny, Records of Shelley, Byron and the Author
Blankette
Blankette rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Katherine Duvigneau
Katherine Duvigneau rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2007
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Paul Hughes
Paul Hughes rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Clio
Clio rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Eppie
Eppie rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2010
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Kim Annabella
Kim Annabella rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2011
Shawn Sturgeon
Shawn Sturgeon rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2009
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Achilles Alex
Achilles Alex rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2011
Dessy
Dessy rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Roger Whitson
Roger Whitson rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2007
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Jennelyn Natividad
Jennelyn Natividad rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
alex
alex rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
George Kol
George Kol rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Tiny Keats
Tiny Keats rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016

“Swiftly gliding in, blushing like a girl, a tall thin stripling held out both his hands; and although I could hardly believe as I looked at his flushed feminine, and artless face that it could be the Poet, I returned his warm pressure. After the ordinary greetings and courtesies he sat down and listened. I was silent from astonishment: was it possible that this mild-mannered beardless boy could be the veritable monster of the world?–ex-communicated by the Fathers of the Church, deprived of his civil rights by the fiat of a grim Lord Chancellor, discarded by every member of his family,and denounced by the rival sages of our literature as the founder of a Satanic school? I could not believe it; it must be a hoax.” 0 likes