Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,757 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Sara Lodgeoffers a lively introduction tothe critical historyof one of the most widely-studied nineteenth-century novels, from the first reviews through to present day responses. The Guide also includes sections devoted to feminist, Marxist and postcolonial criticism of Jane Eyre, as well as analysis of recent developments....more
Published January 15th 2009 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2008)

Lauren Fidler
i love this novel. it's predictable in its "romantic" plotline (except for the whole "bluebeard" thang with bertha in the attic) and yet intricate in its scope. i love the religious undertones (and not so subtle overtones - i.e. the name "helen burns"), the symbolism (fire! birds! animals! the forest!). i even love mr. rochester and all his mindgamery.

still, what resonates best for me are the glimpses into a long dead past. like, physiognomy! those crazy 19th century bastards and their need to...more
Project
Loved it. It added "It's a Jane Eyre thing" to my collection of catchphrases.[return][return]I was so impressed by the language that i created a dictionary.com flashcard set for it. Check it out here.
Celine Costa
I read withering heights so thats how i was introduce to the bronte sisters her style is slightly different from her sisters but equally as thrilling. Enjoyed this book very much.
Denyse Farrell
One of those books I discovered in junior high. I go back over & over again- and I am never disappointed!
Beverly
Jane Eyre begins life as an orphan in the household of her hateful aunt. Despite the oppression at home and torture at boarding school, Jane emerges with her spirit and integrity unbroken. She becomes a governess at Thornfield Hall, where she finds herself falling in love with her employer— Mr. Rochester. But an explosive secret tears apart their relationship, forcing Jane to face poverty and isolation once again. Classic novel.
Feisty Harriet
More and more I find I don’t really like books of this era, I hated Pride & Prejudice (an opinion I still maintain) and I really didn’t love Jane Eyre. I think Mr. Rochester is an emotionally manipulative bastard and Jane is a masochistic prude who insists on self-sacrifice for no measurable, positive result. I found myself scolding Jane and yelling at Mr. Rochester throughout my reading, and didn’t really find any of the characters all that likable. I understand that I am from a completely...more
Sibyl
Having reread 'Jane Eyre' recently, I've been trying to - somehow - separate the novel from the Bronte mythology. Having read a Charlotte Bronte biography which, inevitably, tracked the links between Charlotte's life (her schooling, her years as a governess, her correspondence with Monsieur Heger) and incidents within the novel - it felt like time to try a bit of literary criticism.

The book, a sort of historical digest of the way in which 'Jane Eyre' has been received is clear and well-organised...more
Fraser Coltman
I was amazed by this novel. Jane is such a strong character. A survivor of mistreatment at the hands of an unloving aunt. Then a survivor of life in an orphanage run by a pastor with a sadistic view of holiness. A servant tutoring a young girl and struggling with her feelings for her employer. A young woman, rejecting a relationship she regards as immoral, and another she finds loveless, then returning to the first one through forgiveness and trust. It is a powerful story of faith, love and hope...more
Kirtandasi
Slow moving beginning but stick with it! A great read in the end. Thank you to Sarah Dickey for putting it in my hands.
Lois
This is another story I read when very young in an abbreviated version although I have read it often since in the original. Which child could not be excited and horrified by poor young Jane's treatment and experiences with her aunt the ghastly Mrs Reed, and then at Lowood School? Who could not be enthralled by the unlikely and doomed romance between Jane and Mr Rochester? This book has everything!
Charlotte Coleman
I like this much more before I had to study it. I like the character Jane but the more I looked into her via character analysis the more I found her to be a bit dramatic. Nevertheless, I recommend it, as I do most, and did enjoy the book. The ending is wonderful.
Christina
This is a romantic favorite. I read the book after viewing a BBC Jane Eyre broadcast starring Toby Stephens as Rochester. I love Jane's strength and that she is not afraid to stand up to anyone; that she is a woman of character and principle.
Sherilyn
This is my most favourite books of all time and the book that got me loving literature as a little girl. It's a timeless classics that I personal never get tired of.
Juliana
Jane Eyre is an essential read for anyone who enjoys a novel with twists and intrigue surrounding a perfectly written, timeless love story.
Rebecca
Another one of those book that I had to read for a course, thought I was going to hate it and ended up quite liking it.
Kate
As a total classics monomaniac, I think all her novels are brilliant...What's not to love, love, love, come on!
Sheri Schlondrop
My most favorite book of all times!
Kat Ioannides
Better every time i read it :)
Nikol Likja
Very, Very beautiful...
Joanne
A fabulous mystery - read it.
Hannah Maule
Hannah Maule marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Gudbjorg Anna
Gudbjorg Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • Madame Bovary de Gustave Flaubert
  • A Room with a View / Howards End
  • Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment (Monarch Notes)
  • The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction
  • Golden Boy
  • Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Persuasion
  • The Nature of God: 50 Christian Devotions about God's Love and Acceptance
  • The Origin of Species/The Voyage of the Beagle
  • Invasion of the Body Squeezers, Part 2 (Goosebumps Series 2000, #5)
  • Achebe's Things Fall Apart
  • The Da Vinci Code \ Up And Down In The Dales \ The Return Of The Dancing Master \  A Gathering Light
  • Crippen
  • The Portable James Joyce
  • Paranormal Pleasures: Ten Tales of Supernatural Seduction
Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre (Readers' Guides to Essential Criticism) Thomas Hood and Nineteenth-Century Poetry: Work, Play, and Politics Thomas Hood and Nineteenth-Century Poetry: Work, Play and Politics The United Nations Zuleika Dobson