Start by marking “Ordinary Horror” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Horror

Ordinary Horror

2.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Frank Delabano is a retired science teacher living an unremarkable life in an unremarkable suburb. But in a sunny corner of his backyard lies his secret treasure: a magnificent rose garden. When his beloved blooms are threatened by a mysterious burrowing pest, he sends away for an organic remedy: an exotic tropical plant guaranteed to be "antithetical to garden varmints bu ...more
Published January 29th 2002 by Plume (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Horror

karen
Jul 26, 2011 karen rated it it was ok
"unforgettable climax???"

i have forgotten it and i have read it twice. i never did "get" this book. i did not find it scary, even in the "cerebral horror" sense, and i want to know why, please.if someone could explain it to me, i will be waiting by my computer.
Andrew Sydlik
Although I appreciate the attempt at what I suppose the author intends to be a "literary horror" novel, the few interesting passages did not make up for the lack of engagement for this reader. Lacking in character and plot, the uneven style feels more like a fiction workshop experiment than something an author would want to publish. Told from a third-person limited point of view, I did not care anything for the main protagonist. Nor did I understand much of the action and meaning behind the more ...more
Angie
Nov 19, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This story had a nice leisurely pace. Not in a bad way, but in a way that let's you know something is building. I was expectant, and certainly getting into it (it's something of a very subtle Little Shop of Horrors).

But then came the end. Couldn't make heads or tails of it. This was the epitome of the ambiguous ending (which I don't necessarily mind). But if you're someone who needs the ends wrapped up tightly, this one might frustrate you.

Overall, the trip was worth it.
Lisa Wintler-cox
Jan 22, 2014 Lisa Wintler-cox rated it it was amazing
Hutch
Aug 10, 2009 Hutch rated it liked it
Shelves:
So far, I'm liking it. It starts off creepy. I'm afraid it's losing steam or something, though. I think it's enjoying the idea that horror is most horrific when it's in your peripheral vision rather than in your face far too much, but who knows. 90% of this book is build-up and I have a hard time believing that the 10% of "the big reveal" will be at all satisfying.
Sophie Carsenat
Jan 31, 2011 Sophie Carsenat rated it really liked it
Intrigued by the blurbs for this book (slow-burning lit horror), I was kind of surprised at the vehemence of the bad reviews elsewhere. It is dense and rather microscopic in its detail, but the tone and style really sucks you in - if you want to go there. Genuinely disturbing. All atmosphere, all the time, which is alright by me!
Kymberlie McGuire
This book made me feel such tension, waiting to find out what was going to happen. Honestly, I don't know if I even understood the end, but aside from that, I loved reading this and have already bought another one of his books.
Andy Plonka
Nov 19, 2012 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it
If there is such a thing as literary horror, this book is it.
Keepcoolbutcare
Sep 04, 2007 Keepcoolbutcare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked it. i think most people did not.
Patrick Nichols
Mar 08, 2010 Patrick Nichols rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Horrifyingly Ordinary.
Brian Kaufman
Oct 01, 2015 Brian Kaufman rated it did not like it
Interminable, NOTHING HAPPENS, sentences for days that accomplish and convey nothing. I'll never get that time back...
Wes Young
Jan 27, 2009 Wes Young rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Dear lord, where to begin. The first chapter starts out okay, and the bit about the little girl was just beginning to become interesting. Then it just devolves into ridiculous ramblings. I mostly skimmed the book from about page 50 on searching for any sign of a plot. The synopsis indicates there's an "unforgettable climax", but I have absolutely no idea what happens. Just as another reviewer asked, can someone who liked it tell me what the heck this "climax" was?!
Steve
Sep 03, 2015 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody. Maybe insomniacs.
Recommended to Steve by: Nobody, thank goodness.
Ordinary, maybe. Horror? Not! I regret the time I wasted reading this pointless book. The best thing I can say about it is Meh!
Oakley Merideth
Apr 07, 2016 Oakley Merideth rated it it was ok
Shelves: fictions, garbage
I suppose the title did deliver on its promise as reading this was an experience of the most ordinary literary horror, so ordinary in fact I forgot to scream...or cringe...or care. Yes, it starts out with promise but eventually Searcy's prose with its over-the-top mediation and language just doesn't provoke the reader at all. Just because one experiments doesn't mean one invents plastic.
Ryan
Mar 24, 2010 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-lit
The most boring, tedious book I've ever slogged through. Ever. Who the fuck do you think you are David Searcy, carrying on single paragraphs for 2+ pages!? You're not fucking Melville dude, and this ain't earth-shattering stuff. Get a clue.
Chrystal Hays
May 09, 2014 Chrystal Hays rated it it was amazing
I went into this with no expectations and was very pleased. It's not obvious, over-the-top, in-your-face horror. Very psychological, very slow and creepy. I look forward to him writing more.
Cody
Mar 05, 2008 Cody rated it did not like it
Oh lord. I could honestly tell that the author has talent, he can create atmosphere and flesh out pretty good characters. It just goes absolutely nowhere.
Stephanie
Mar 10, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of potential, and it started out great, but it never really built to anything, and the suspense just fizzled out.
Karen
Jun 28, 2011 Karen rated it did not like it
Evocative of Hobbes - nasty, brutish and short, if by short one means interminable
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read
1st edition
Angie
Mar 22, 2013 Angie rated it did not like it
YAWN.
Sara Monahan
Sara Monahan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Amber Briggs
Amber Briggs marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Carrie Laben
Carrie Laben marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Jay Bolling
Jay Bolling marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Linette
Linette rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2016
  • Earthbound
  • Dark Gods
  • Wild Fell
  • By Bizarre Hands
  • Dark Sleeper (Western Lights, #1)