Start by marking “Ordinary Horror” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Horror

Ordinary Horror

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Frank Delabano is a retired science teacher living an unremarkable life in an unremarkable suburb. But in a sunny corner of his backyard lies his secret treasure: a magnificent rose garden. When his beloved blooms are threatened by a mysterious burrowing pest, he sends away for an organic remedy: an exotic tropical plant guaranteed to be "antithetical to garden varmints bu ...more
Published January 29th 2002 by Plume (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Horror

karen
"unforgettable climax???"

i have forgotten it and i have read it twice. i never did "get" this book. i did not find it scary, even in the "cerebral horror" sense, and i want to know why, please.if someone could explain it to me, i will be waiting by my computer.
Andrew Sydlik
Although I appreciate the attempt at what I suppose the author intends to be a "literary horror" novel, the few interesting passages did not make up for the lack of engagement for this reader. Lacking in character and plot, the uneven style feels more like a fiction workshop experiment than something an author would want to publish. Told from a third-person limited point of view, I did not care anything for the main protagonist. Nor did I understand much of the action and meaning behind the more ...more
Angie
This story had a nice leisurely pace. Not in a bad way, but in a way that let's you know something is building. I was expectant, and certainly getting into it (it's something of a very subtle Little Shop of Horrors).

But then came the end. Couldn't make heads or tails of it. This was the epitome of the ambiguous ending (which I don't necessarily mind). But if you're someone who needs the ends wrapped up tightly, this one might frustrate you.

Overall, the trip was worth it.
Lisa Wintler-cox
Hutch
So far, I'm liking it. It starts off creepy. I'm afraid it's losing steam or something, though. I think it's enjoying the idea that horror is most horrific when it's in your peripheral vision rather than in your face far too much, but who knows. 90% of this book is build-up and I have a hard time believing that the 10% of "the big reveal" will be at all satisfying.
Sophie Carsenat
Intrigued by the blurbs for this book (slow-burning lit horror), I was kind of surprised at the vehemence of the bad reviews elsewhere. It is dense and rather microscopic in its detail, but the tone and style really sucks you in - if you want to go there. Genuinely disturbing. All atmosphere, all the time, which is alright by me!
Kymberlie McGuire
This book made me feel such tension, waiting to find out what was going to happen. Honestly, I don't know if I even understood the end, but aside from that, I loved reading this and have already bought another one of his books.
Andy Plonka
If there is such a thing as literary horror, this book is it.
Keepcoolbutcare
i liked it. i think most people did not.
Patrick Nichols
Horrifyingly Ordinary.
Wes Young
Dear lord, where to begin. The first chapter starts out okay, and the bit about the little girl was just beginning to become interesting. Then it just devolves into ridiculous ramblings. I mostly skimmed the book from about page 50 on searching for any sign of a plot. The synopsis indicates there's an "unforgettable climax", but I have absolutely no idea what happens. Just as another reviewer asked, can someone who liked it tell me what the heck this "climax" was?!
Ryan
The most boring, tedious book I've ever slogged through. Ever. Who the fuck do you think you are David Searcy, carrying on single paragraphs for 2+ pages!? You're not fucking Melville dude, and this ain't earth-shattering stuff. Get a clue.
Chrystal Hays
I went into this with no expectations and was very pleased. It's not obvious, over-the-top, in-your-face horror. Very psychological, very slow and creepy. I look forward to him writing more.
Cody
Oh lord. I could honestly tell that the author has talent, he can create atmosphere and flesh out pretty good characters. It just goes absolutely nowhere.
Stephanie
This book had a lot of potential, and it started out great, but it never really built to anything, and the suspense just fizzled out.
Karen
Evocative of Hobbes - nasty, brutish and short, if by short one means interminable
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read
1st edition
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Brian Pappas
Brian Pappas marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Scottnshana
Scottnshana marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Gaelen Strnat
Gaelen Strnat marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Michael Fontenot
Michael Fontenot marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
  • The Dark Country
  • House of Windows
  • By Bizarre Hands
  • The Two Sams
  • Dark Sleeper (Western Lights, #1)
  • First Light