Sister to the Wolf

Sister to the Wolf

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Quebec, 1703. In this rough town, indien slaves are routinely mistreated. As Cecile Chesne watches the branding iron burn into young Lesharo's flesh, she knows she must act. Defying convention, the headstrong girl buys the slave's freedom and treats him as an equal. Lesharo is Pawnee--the People of the Wolf. Sworn to protect Cecile, he accompanies her and her father, a cou...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Sister to the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister to the Wolf

The Blue Castle by L.M. MontgomeryTo Catch a Pirate by Jade ParkerThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria HanleyWildwood Dancing by Juliet MarillierWives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
Best Lesser-Known Books
199th out of 722 books — 1,054 voters
The Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn MoriartyThe Golem's Eye by Jonathan StroudPoison Study by Maria V. Snyder
YA Novels of 2004
43rd out of 104 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Dreamergirl
I have a very good amount of reasons for giving "Sister To The Wolf" an amazing 5 stars. It was rich in historical details, and will fulfill your every need for an amazing fiction novel.

First 3 Stars:
The characters were deep and the story very thought-provokating. It touched subjects like race, religion, Native American injustice as well as slavery while still keeping it's interesting tone and absolutely stunning characters. Maxine also made it geographically interesting and showed the wilderne...more
Tara Chevrestt
At first, I really liked this. It goes from Quebec to Detroit and is very rich in historical details regarding French trappers, forts, the Miami Indians, and the Pawnee.

Halfway into it tho, I realized something: Nothing interesting was happening. Cecile and her father and an young Indian man travel to a fort. Life at the fort sucks. They move outside the fort. Cecile cooks, cleans, does laundry, babysits the most demonic children, and is a total pushover. Meanwhile, there is a "mine is bigger t...more
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
well-done, realistic, and compelling historical fiction.
i enjoyed the details of life in 1700s quebec and detroit.
i liked both the heroine and her father, which is nice because so many fictional parents are awful! there was a cross-section of believable characters from the time period, including french settlers, various indian tribes, and soldiers. i loved the local priest, who handed out severe penances with a barely concealed glee.

recommended for the younger teens and up, for some scenes of v...more
Cassie
I love this book. I just love the unbreakable bond between Lesharo and Cecile. Throughout the whole book, you just know that Edmond can't really come between them. Then there's the whole issue of racism, the ever present problem that divides the white man from the indian. This book is so powerful to me, I can't even describe it. Maybe if I go read it again, I can do better.
Veevee
I read this book for the first time many years ago, and loved it. "Sister to the wolf" is just an unforgettable story that has stuck with me throughout the years. I think of it often, especially when I am learning about Canadian history; the first nations and the fur trade especially. Cecile is a wonderful main character, I love her strong headed female will power and loyalty. Robert and Edmund are both great supporting characters, and the little boys are such cuties. My favourite of course is L...more
Juliamkennedy
this book was AMAZING and i loved it. it was really cool to see how the Indians and the French Canadians interacted. the girl in this book is awesome and well..........just read it! i finished it in half a day cus it was sooooooo good!!!!! i also loved the ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eden
Cecile sees an Indian slave being branded one day and can't get the image out of her head. She takes what money she has and buys him from the person who owns him.

And Cecil frees him. But Lesharo feels that he owes her his life and must protect her. When Cecil and her father journey to Fort Detroit for work, Lesharo joins them and they all experience this strange new place.

I didn't know what to expect going into reading this. I just know the title caught my eye and I am really happy that I read...more
Brooke ~pardon me while I burst into flames~
i don't know how many times i've read this book but all i know is that it's amazing!
Tina
Amazing
Lynley
I was not a huge fan of this book. The religion part of it was very pluralistic. Cecile is Catholic and the guy she falls in love with is an Indian who worships his own gods. Towards the end of the book, they do mention his interest in God, but that's quickly followed up by Cecile telling him that she will only share about her God if Lesharo (the indian) will continue to share with her about his. Can anyone say King Ahab? Also, iIf my daughter did half the things the girl in this book did, we'd...more
Hannah Clow
I waant to read it a second time!
Angelica Galanis
this book was really good, I have never read a book on historical fiction and I think it was interesting how Maxine Trottier made a book like that, even though many other authors have written historical fiction books as well.
Miranda
I picked this up thinking it would be an okay book, but boy was I wrong! It was such a good storyline, with some great messages. The only thing that I didn't like was that the POV was a little strange. It's like, it would switch from third person to first person to another first person, but stay all in the same chapter and format. I didn't really like that. But other than that, it was amazing!
The history, slavery, and attire described in this book gave it flavor to the unique almost twisted telling of beauty and the beast. You have Lesharo, a captured and enslaved Indian boy and Cecil, a free and jovial character in the book who frees Lesharo. The book contains humor with Cecil's father and shows Lesharo quickly venture out of his shell. The plot has an ending that screams a sequel.
Chelta101
Okai first thought when I had to choose this for an L.A project I said great I won't remember a single thing one sentence in to it. But as I read I knpinda liked it.. I guess I am kinda liking romance novels now... But I'm coming slowly to it cause I kept forgetting in some parts.... But I loved this book and I hope you do too!
Ariel
Feb 28, 2010 Ariel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone .
This book was amazing , I checked it out from the library thinking it would just be okay and something to read when I ran out of other books . Boy was I wrong I absolutely loved it ! It was a very good storyline and had some great messages . This would be good for YA (which it's intended for) and adults alike to read . (:
Finvarra Penn
I adore this book. I have ever since the day I first brought it home from the library and read it in, oh, three hours maybe. It's the book I turn to when I have nothing else to read (I own it now! <3) and love it every single time.
Moraa
THis is an amaizing book. it teaches to not judge people, but get to kno them before you make a conclusion. They might end up being you best friend.
Sara
Sep 26, 2007 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
SOOO cool. I just love this book. I would buy it if I could. Robert or what's his name is a great father. And Lesharo is awesome.
Lydia
This book was very good...and the ending was very satisfactory...not abrupt or anything, just very nice... :D
Wheresmybooklive.com
I enjoyed reading this book again, again, and again. It's one of my favourites. Definitely worth reading!
*Anna*
I liked this book because it was really well written (plus it has a lot of romance!!).
Jess Trebanna
Amazing! Loved the characters and subject matter and...just about everything!
Sofia
I read it a long time ago and got it from the library twice.
Alexa
Mar 22, 2012 Alexa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Indians and a red-head girl? Who could ask for more?
Robin
So great.
Detailed and heartwarming.
Love it
Corley
Kind of slow, but still enjoyable.
Andrea
Loved the historical detail.
*skittles*
Absolutely loved it :]
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive
  • Stones (Garnet and Raphaella, #1)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard
  • Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk
  • Hidden Roots
  • A True and Faithful Narrative
  • Jingle Dancer
  • The Whirlpool
  • An Earthly Knight
  • Look to the Hills: The Diary of Lozette Moreau, a French Slave Girl, New York Colony, 1763 (Dear America Series)
  • I Am Regina
  • Exiles from the War: The War Guest Diary of Charlotte Mary Twiss, Guelph, Ontario, 1940 (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • Savage Lands
  • Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein
  • Daughter of Venice
Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada) Migrant The Death of My Country: The Plains of Abraham Diary of Geneviève Aubuchon (Cher Journal) Blood Upon Our Land :The North West Resistance Diary Of Josephine Bouvier (Dear Canada) Three Songs for Courage