Start by marking “Sister to the Wolf” as Want to Read:
Sister to the Wolf

Sister to the Wolf

Quebec, 1703. In this rough town, indien slaves are routinely mistreated. As Cecile Chesne watches the branding iron burn into young Lesharo's flesh, she knows she must act. Defying convention, the headstrong girl buys the slave's freedom and treats him as an equal. Lesharo is Pawnee--the People of the Wolf. Sworn to protect Cecile, he accompanies her and her father, a cou ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Kids Can Press

Dreamergirl
Sep 05, 2011 Dreamergirl rated it it was amazing
I have a very good amount of reasons for giving "Sister To The Wolf" an amazing 5 stars. It was rich in historical details, and will fulfill your every need for an amazing fiction novel.

First 3 Stars:
The characters were deep and the story very thought-provokating. It touched subjects like race, religion, Native American injustice as well as slavery while still keeping it's interesting tone and absolutely stunning characters. Maxine also made it geographically interesting and showed the wilderne
Tara Chevrestt
Oct 03, 2010 Tara Chevrestt rated it it was ok
At first, I really liked this. It goes from Quebec to Detroit and is very rich in historical details regarding French trappers, forts, the Miami Indians, and the Pawnee.

Halfway into it tho, I realized something: Nothing interesting was happening. Cecile and her father and an young Indian man travel to a fort. Life at the fort sucks. They move outside the fort. Cecile cooks, cleans, does laundry, babysits the most demonic children, and is a total pushover. Meanwhile, there is a "mine is bigger t
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
well-done, realistic, and compelling historical fiction.
i enjoyed the details of life in 1700s quebec and detroit.
i liked both the heroine and her father, which is nice because so many fictional parents are awful! there was a cross-section of believable characters from the time period, including french settlers, various indian tribes, and soldiers. i loved the local priest, who handed out severe penances with a barely concealed glee.

recommended for the younger teens and up, for some scenes of v
Cassie
Jul 22, 2009 Cassie rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I just love the unbreakable bond between Lesharo and Cecile. Throughout the whole book, you just know that Edmond can't really come between them. Then there's the whole issue of racism, the ever present problem that divides the white man from the indian. This book is so powerful to me, I can't even describe it. Maybe if I go read it again, I can do better.
Juliamkennedy
Dec 31, 2008 Juliamkennedy rated it it was amazing
this book was AMAZING and i loved it. it was really cool to see how the Indians and the French Canadians interacted. the girl in this book is awesome and well..........just read it! i finished it in half a day cus it was sooooooo good!!!!! i also loved the ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michelle Krabbendam
Nov 05, 2013 Michelle Krabbendam rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book again, again, and again. It's one of my favourites. Definitely worth reading!
Brooke
Dec 04, 2010 Brooke rated it it was amazing
i don't know how many times i've read this book but all i know is that it's amazing!
Tina
Mar 03, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-have-read
Amazing
Marigold
Oct 22, 2016 Marigold rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting and well-paced historical fiction about the French colonizing Canada and the trading between the French and Indians. I appreciated the descriptions comparing Catholicism and the native belief system. The characters are gripping, the action exciting, and the end very satisfying. A good book all-around.
Emily Jones
Feb 24, 2016 Emily Jones rated it liked it
The book, Sister to the Wolf, by Maxine Trottier takes place in the early 1700. The main characters of the story are Cècile Chesne and Lesharo. Cècile is free spirited. She rather stay with the Indians than at the fort and wears the Indian clothes as said on page 239. She is caring about others feelings and apologized right away when she had a disagreement with her father on page 34. She is strong willed and doesn’t change her mind when it’s made up. The text directly state's “...Guilt will not ...more
Eden
Cecile sees an Indian slave being branded one day and can't get the image out of her head. She takes what money she has and buys him from the person who owns him.

And Cecil frees him. But Lesharo feels that he owes her his life and must protect her. When Cecil and her father journey to Fort Detroit for work, Lesharo joins them and they all experience this strange new place.

I didn't know what to expect going into reading this. I just know the title caught my eye and I am really happy that I read
Veevee
Feb 28, 2014 Veevee rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-fav
I read this book for the first time many years ago, and loved it. "Sister to the wolf" is just an unforgettable story that has stuck with me throughout the years. I think of it often, especially when I am learning about Canadian history; the first nations and the fur trade especially. Cecile is a wonderful main character, I love her strong headed female will power and loyalty. Robert and Edmund are both great supporting characters, and the little boys are such cuties. My favourite of course is L ...more
Lynley
Aug 07, 2012 Lynley rated it did not like it
I was not a huge fan of this book. The religion part of it was very pluralistic. Cecile is Catholic and the guy she falls in love with is an Indian who worships his own gods. Towards the end of the book, they do mention his interest in God, but that's quickly followed up by Cecile telling him that she will only share about her God if Lesharo (the indian) will continue to share with her about his. Can anyone say King Ahab? Also, iIf my daughter did half the things the girl in this book did, we'd ...more
Hannah Power
Jun 20, 2016 Hannah Power rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was an amazing read. It was very captivating and I had trouble putting it down. I loved the character of Cecile because of her kind nature and her very interesting attitude. It seems as though a ton of research was put into this book by the author which made it very believable and realistic. The romance between Cecile and Leshero was a very interesting and exciting relationship to read about. I also loved learning about the culture of the natives and the french Canadians in t ...more
Miranda
Mar 01, 2011 Miranda rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-want
I picked this up thinking it would be an okay book, but boy was I wrong! It was such a good storyline, with some great messages. The only thing that I didn't like was that the POV was a little strange. It's like, it would switch from third person to first person to another first person, but stay all in the same chapter and format. I didn't really like that. But other than that, it was amazing!
The history, slavery, and attire described in this book gave it flavor to the unique almost twisted telling of beauty and the beast. You have Lesharo, a captured and enslaved Indian boy and Cecil, a free and jovial character in the book who frees Lesharo. The book contains humor with Cecil's father and shows Lesharo quickly venture out of his shell. The plot has an ending that screams a sequel.
Chelta101
Nov 06, 2011 Chelta101 rated it liked it
Okai first thought when I had to choose this for an L.A project I said great I won't remember a single thing one sentence in to it. But as I read I knpinda liked it.. I guess I am kinda liking romance novels now... But I'm coming slowly to it cause I kept forgetting in some parts.... But I loved this book and I hope you do too!
Ariel
Feb 28, 2010 Ariel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone .
This book was amazing , I checked it out from the library thinking it would just be okay and something to read when I ran out of other books . Boy was I wrong I absolutely loved it ! It was a very good storyline and had some great messages . This would be good for YA (which it's intended for) and adults alike to read . (:
Finvarra Penn
I adore this book. I have ever since the day I first brought it home from the library and read it in, oh, three hours maybe. It's the book I turn to when I have nothing else to read (I own it now! <3) and love it every single time.
Ryan
Sep 01, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the time spent in the woods, journeying to Detroit. The narrative waned for me when they arrived at the fort and the storytelling took a pseudo Jane Austin turn. Meh. I'd recommend it to some teen looking for something like, but different, from the Twilight story arc.
Angelica Galanis
Jan 10, 2014 Angelica Galanis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, jan-13
this book was really good, I have never read a book on historical fiction and I think it was interesting how Maxine Trottier made a book like that, even though many other authors have written historical fiction books as well.
Lydia
Jan 14, 2009 Lydia rated it it was amazing
This book was very good...and the ending was very satisfactory...not abrupt or anything, just very nice... :D
Charity
Apr 04, 2016 Charity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It was inspiring an heart felt. It showed that love can reach over any and all ideas we have of love!!
Sara
Sep 26, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
SOOO cool. I just love this book. I would buy it if I could. Robert or what's his name is a great father. And Lesharo is awesome.
Sara
Feb 27, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing novel that everyone should read. Trottier weaves together a beautiful story with wonderful imagery that will change the way you look at the world around you.
Rachel Kitchen
Sep 11, 2014 Rachel Kitchen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Those who like historical fiction and Native American culture
With a flavor of "indien" culture and excerpts from Cecile's journal, the Sister to the Wolf portrays conflicting cultures in the Quebec/Detroit area.
Danielle
Jan 17, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
The book that got me into reading, many years ago. I love this book, and the story and it's characters are close to my heart.
Moraa
Feb 19, 2008 Moraa rated it it was amazing
THis is an amaizing book. it teaches to not judge people, but get to kno them before you make a conclusion. They might end up being you best friend.
Amal
Amal rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
  • Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive
  • Redemption
  • Stolen Child
  • Branded Hearts
  • Danegeld
  • The Beaded Moccasins
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • An Earthly Knight
  • Beloved Enemy
  • The Forgotten Man
  • Savage Lands
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard (Dear Canada)
Maxine Trottier is the award-winning writer of numerous books for young people, including Claire's Gift (winner of the Mr. Christie's Book Award), Laura: A Childhood Tale of Laura Secord, the Circle of Silver Chronicles, and The Tiny Kite of Eddy Wing (winner of the CLA Book of the Year Award).

A former teacher and an avid sailor, Maxine has long been fascinated by history. She is now an associate
More about Maxine Trottier...