Start by marking “I Am Phoenix: Poems for Two Voices” as Want to Read:
I Am Phoenix: Poems for Two Voices

I Am Phoenix: Poems for Two Voices

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
At first light the finches
are flitting about the trees

Flittering
flittering
fly
painted finches
fly.

In this companion volume to Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices, the winner of the 1989 Newbery Medal, Paul Fleischman celebrates the sound, the sense, the essence of birds. Written to be spoken aloud by two voices, sometimes alternating,
Published September 14th 1989 by HarperCollins (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Phoenix

Angela
Jul 12, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
Poetry is not really my thing, but I listened to these instead of reading them, which was much better with synchronized poetry reading.
Sara Kreps
Apr 05, 2016 Sara Kreps rated it it was ok
Not as good as joyful noise.
Diana Pettis
Jun 24, 2012 Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
I read this with Xavier tonight and he told me it was hard to follow because the author has two voices reading each poem. It was hard to keep his focus on what the message of the poems were. Then I went online to get the guided reading level which their is not one. All it said that the grade level equivalent was 5.5. I think to read this with groups of kids they would need lots of exposure to poetry.
Rachel Remer
Jun 10, 2016 Rachel Remer rated it really liked it
Same as the other two voices book except I liked this book even better. A couple of the poems really stood out to me as stellar.
Lisa Rathbun
I liked this better than "Joyful Noise" because I like birds better than bugs! I remember reading this together with my sister years ago; sometimes the lines are in unison, sometimes they alternate, sometimes they conflict, but all together each poem captures the feel of the different birds. Wonderful!!!
Nielson
May 29, 2008 Nielson rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poem: "Dawn" pg.3. These poems are meant to be read together with a child side by side so sometimes you will both be reading the same or different words at the same time. I think this gives a more of a flighty, birdy feel which is neat. However, it has the potential to be confusing.
Andrew
Nov 16, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it
This book, by Paul Fleishman was about very different poems based on nature. what was very creative about his poems was that it was ment for two people to read. most of his poems were very descriptive and good.
Harrison
May 03, 2010 Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good
this book is amazing and you truely have to have two people to read it, you also have to read it several times before you fully understand it. collin and i are going to read the poem phoenix for our grade:)
Kelli
Aug 30, 2009 Kelli rated it really liked it
Like Fleischman's book "Joyful Noise," this collection is amazing. "The Passenger Pigeon" and "Warblers" were family favorites. We read in two voices from this book all evening.
Maria
Jul 08, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
It was interesting to listen to this book instead of read it. Definitely a good choice, though some of the readings seemed overly theatrical to me.
Lynn
Nov 16, 2013 Lynn rated it it was amazing
From my Honors Children's Literature class. So much fun with two readers! Hope my grandchildren and/or their parents will give it a try!
Alyssa
Nov 13, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: families.
Recommended to Alyssa by: my mommy
How much fun this book is! Not only does it promote poetry, but it promotes sharing poetry and the spoken word.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Budding Birdwatchers
Shelves: children-s
This book of poems describes birds and I think is equal to it's counterpart "Joyful Noise."
Hilary
Oct 05, 2009 Hilary rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-alouds
Fine readers theatre. I'm still partial to "Joyful Noise," by the same author (same genre).
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 Marya rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-poetry
Well I guess you have to have a beta. Thank heavens he went on to write Joyful Noise.
Liz
Aug 31, 2010 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Another great book filled with Poems for Two Voices.
Jimmy
Aug 14, 2012 Jimmy rated it liked it
Not as good as Joyful Noise, but still interesting.
Austin
May 30, 2008 Austin rated it liked it
I read the poem, "The Phoenix."
Ruth E. R.
Ruth E. R. marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Nyla
Nyla marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Debbi  Tehrani
Debbi Tehrani rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Rachel Kinsey
Rachel Kinsey rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Isabella
Isabella marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Ally
Ally rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Tori
Tori rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
  • If Not for the Cat
  • Forget-Me-Nots: Poems to Learn by Heart
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems
  • Borrowed Names: Poems About Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J. Walker, Marie Curie, and Their Daughters
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
  • Among a Thousand Fireflies
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child's Book Of Poems
  • When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons
  • Birmingham, 1963
Paul Fleischman grew up in Santa Monica, California. The son of well-known children's novelist Sid Fleischman, Paul was in the unique position of having his famous father's books read out loud to him by the author as they were being written. This experience continued throughout his childhood.
Paul followed in his father's footsteps as an author of books for young readers, and in 1982 he released
More about Paul Fleischman...