Start by marking “There Is a Flower at the Tip of My Nose Smelling Me” as Want to Read:
There Is a Flower at the Tip of My Nose Smelling Me

There Is a Flower at the Tip of My Nose Smelling Me

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  35 reviews
There is a road
At the bottom
Of my Foot
Walking me.

Published May 9th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about There Is a Flower at the Tip of My Nose Smelling Me

L11-Sharri Moses
This picture book is written in short verses accompanied by illustrations of vibrant colors. The author, Alice Walker, shows us how we are connected to nature and art. She also helps children see the world in a different perspective. I had to read this picture book a few times to really take in the meaning. After I read it a few times, I began to feel that connection. Instead of writing “I am smelling a flower, Walker writes, “a flower smelling me.” She also writes, “There is water at the tip of ...more
(NS) Laura Jackson
This is a poetic story about seeing the world in a new perspective. The author starts out with the line “There is a flower at the tip of my nose smelling me”, and continues out the whole story in the same format on each page. It almost turns ordinary actions upside down, promoting a new way to think about things. This book is poetic in its format using repetition and the same basic format on each page. This book could be used as a mentor text to encourage children to generate poems in different ...more
Leah
Leah Sherrod
Professor Holland
EDTR 115 EMA
20 October 2011
Poetry Reflection Assignment
Title: There Is a Flower at the Tip of My Nose Smelling Me
Author: Alice Walker

The poem talked about everyday things you would see. Reading this book was like taking a walk and having the world observe you. For example the book talked about a flower smelling me instead of the person smelling the flower. The same with the sky “There is a sky At the end Of my Eye Seeing Me” Towards the end of the poem the book chang
Jill
In a series of short verses, Alice Walker praises the world around her: “There is a sky/ At the end of my Eye/ Seeing Me.” “There is a dance/ That lives In my bones/ Dancing Me.” "There is a song/ Deep in/ My body/ Singing/ Me."

Appropriately one of the verses is "There is a poem/ In the cradle/ Of my Soul/ Rocking me." The pictures by fabulous Stefano Vitale capture the joy of the young girl as she celebrates her life and the glory of the Earth.

Walker writes in an Afterward that this book came
Kristina
Good book about perspective and acknowledging the world around you.
Frank Newhart
Superb piece of literature...affirmations for days
Stefano Vitale's illustrations are simply gorgeous, bursting with vibrant, deep colors. I have no idea what the medium used is; it's not something I can identify, but it has grains running through it that add texture. The poetry is very simple with each two-page spread only having six lines or less. It's not clear whether these are intended to be seperate poems or one long poem, but each poem or stanza has the same basic structure. This could be used as a writing prompt to encourage students to ...more
Mary
Oct 21, 2008 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Illustrated by: Stefano Vitale
Level: Early to Late Elementary

This a a very beautifully written book. The language is beautiful and very poetic. I plan on using this book during our poetry unit. The wording is very different that it makes you stop and think and imagine what is being discussed. It would be interesting for students to write their own page in the story.
Crystal
Alice Walker wrote a poem of thanksgiving that celebrates the connection between nature and her after an afternoon walk. That poem became this picture book that glories in the beauty of the world. The vibrant pictures show how the woman/girl is a part of the world and the world is a part of her. This is a song of the brilliance of the world.
Keelin
Genre: Poetry
Awards: None
Grade Level: K-2
I would use this book in my classroom to celebrate Earth Day. After reading the book I would have the students draw something from nature and have them write a poem about their drawing. This book is important because it teaches young readers about poetry and also about finding themselves in nature.
Paula
In a beautifully poetic and gently provocative text, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Alice Walker invites readers young and old to see the world -- and our place in it -- through new eyes. Glowing colors and radiant images accompany this joyous celebration of the connections and interconnections between self, Nature, and creativity
Angela
Alice Walker brings her poetic voice to a delighful picture book about seeing the world from a different perspective. This is one I imagine my younger self reading again and again. Memorizing. Reciting. Relishing.

earthy
Gorgeous art that complements the clever, interestingly worded poem. Though it's relatively short, I found myself rereading it several times just to notice all the details in the art and the unusual way the words fit together.
Jocelyn
Jan 29, 2008 Jocelyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with kids
My sweet friend L Boogie read this to her 4 year old niece while I was in Seattle a few weeks ago. It was so sweet. I think I enjoyed it more than the baby. It's very lyrical and a good introduction to metaphor and poetry.
Dolly
Oct 11, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A nice poem of gratitude that turns most actions upside down (flowers smelling you, for example). It has vibrantly colored illustrations and is short enough so that children will stay interested.
sarafem
This poem, with beautiful illustrations, is about learning to see the world with new eyes. Are you changing the world or is the world changing you? Connects nature and creativity with the individual.
Cara Byrne
This is a gorgeous, empowering, deceptively simple picture book about the ways in which natural and creative forces that inscribe themselves upon one's body.
Eris
Open your mind, alter your perspective, and begin to feel the world as a child feels it: fundamentally and poetically connected.
Julie
Very abstract and sort of silly, not sure what the author is aiming for with this one. The illustrations are beautiful though.
Jackie
Everyday activities are turned around and are not being done BY the person, but being DONE to the person, thus the title.
Karli
In poetic language that speaks to all ages, Walker asks us to rethink our relationship to the world around us.
samantha
Sep 06, 2008 samantha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: julia, christine
ah, poetry in the form of a children's picture book! if you love the title, you'll love the book. it's truly lovable.
Debra
Beautifully written and illustrated book turning around our understanding of our connection to the earth. Lovely!
Melissa Harbin
Really loved this picture book! Would be great to use in a discussion on perspective and personification.
Sally
I adore Vitale.

Loved the illustrations. Poetry was alright; not my style, but good.
Ashley
Interesting idea, just too weird for my husband and kids who read this tonight for bed.
Snorkle
This is such a sweet and beautifully illustrated book, I'd love to own it.
Zayla
PERSONIFICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Story and accompanying illustrations are beautiful!
missy ward-lambert
My little girl and I seem to love this gem equally.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My People
  • The Chicken-Chasing Queen of Lamar County
  • The Secret Science Project That Almost Ate the School (Paula Wiseman Books)
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • Peeny Butter Fudge
  • Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors
  • Precious and the Boo Hag
  • Surprising Sharks (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards))
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
  • Tell Me About Your Day Today
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies
  • Technically, It's Not My Fault: Concrete Poems
Alice Walker (b. 1944), one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, an ...more
More about Alice Walker...
The Color Purple The Temple of My Familiar Possessing the Secret of Joy In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose Meridian