Start by marking “Whirlwind” as Want to Read:
Whirlwind

Whirlwind

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From the author of the "New York Times" bestseller "Vertical Run" comes this action-packed adventure. When a Russian spy stumbles across a top secret technology called Whirlwind, disgraced former CIA operative Charlie McKenzie is hired to track her down. He is the best at what he does, and what he does best of all is the CIA's dirty work. At least he did until his bosses d...more
Mass Market Paperback, 404 pages
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Whirlwind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whirlwind

Katherine Clark
I was torn with this one. For about 1/2 the book, I really enjoyed it. I loved Garber's first book, VErtical Run, and was mostly pleased with this one for awhile. But. I hate torture and gratuitous violence, but I gritted my teeth and moved on. I hate gratuitous romance ;-); you know, when a book appears to be a male fantasy? Yech, takes me right out of the story. But I continued gritting my teeth and read on. Then, at about a 1/4 of the way left, the author shows us one of our protag's secrets,...more
Dana
What a fantastic book. Nearly as good as vertical run. Joseph R Garber was on a level of Baldacci, Flynn, Ludlum, and others in that group of amazing authors. What a great loss to literature, I know he had much more to contribute.
John
I did not think Joseph Garber could write another novel as good as Vertical Run ... I was wrong. This is indeed a splendid read.
Frederick Bingham
Charlie MacKenzie is a former CIA operative who had been used to do a dirty job and sent to jail to cover up for his superiors' mistakes. He did his time quietly.A few years later he is out of the the CIA and in private life. He gets a call from the President's National Security Adviser. Someone has stolen one of the nation's most important secrets. It was stolen by a Russian agent by the name of Irina Kolodenkova. Charlie is given the task of finding this woman and retrieving the secret device....more
Farhan
A run-of-the-mill, predictable thriller from the author of sensational debut novel Vertical Run. Charlie McKenzie, a CIA agent who is out of favour with the Company, decides to get even with his employers for double-crossing him. Interesting premise, bland execution.
D.K.
Disgraced CIA agent Charlie McKenzie had waited years for his former employer to call him and when it happened, Charlie made his employer pay big to bring him out of his mundane existence. Charles is ordered to find a young inexperience Russian female agent and to bring her back with the secrets she has stolen.

Accepting the assignment, Charles real motives are to clear his name and to receive the recongnition he truly deserves. If it meant aiding the Russian agent, then so be it.

I first notice...more
Joan
I wish the author had more books for me to read. I love his writing style; he has a great vocabulary, which he uses to express thoughts perfectly. Whirlwind is a fast-paced novel with an engrossing plot and likable characters.
Dave Goldfarb
Agree with those who say its not the most compelling thriller, but it kept me interested most of the way. Its really all bout how the Government hides it dirty little secrets, and when a man of integrity and wits threatens to expose them, the will stop at nothing to silence him. Charlie is a character who is always several steps ahead of hi handlers and enemies, but he merts his match when Russian spy Kolodnikova, steals Whirlwind. Good read for a rainy afternoon.
Rich
Must have read this a couple of years ago. Got it yesterday at a used book store and started it last night. Read about a page and a half before I realized I had already read it. Must not have been all that great since I didn't even remember reading it.
Pete
This was the second book I read by Mr. Garber, and I liked it. It was another spy-ish thriller with much government intrigue. It had a few twists, but mostly predictable. Still an enjoyable read, and I plan to add more of his works to my reading list.
Jim A
I didn't find this book anywhere near as good as his previous effort, Vertical Run. I thought Garber was trying too hard to be cynical and satirical in the dialogue and the character's self examination.
Bryan457
I started this in the late afternoon, finished it in the early morning hours sometime, and I can't remember a thing about it. It was apparently a real page turner to keep me reading till I finished it.
Julie
Listened to the audio version. The narrator was ridiculous- his South African character accent -sounded like an Irish-Australian pirate. The author is also not a very good writer- totally laughable.
Mark Stone
Cheesy action/adventure/spy/thriller. Don't look for deep thoughts or ultra-cool gadgets. This is simply a fun little read that will help lovers of Patterson and Sanford pass the time away.
Shannon Dishon
A typical government-crime suspense novel with a few twists
Mary
Mary added it
Oct 01, 2014
Mau
Mau marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Joseph R. Garber was an American author, best known for his 1995 thriller Vertical Run and for the articles he wrote on technology for Forbes magazine.

Garber was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, moving often as an army brat. He attended the University of Virginia, but quit to join the U.S. Army himself, eventually graduating from East Tennessee State University in 1968 with a philosophy degree....more
More about Joseph R. Garber...
Vertical Run In a Perfect State Rascal Money Fuite Infernale Milliardenpoker. Feindliche Übernahme Einer Firma