Start by marking “The Purpose of Man: Designed to Worship” as Want to Read:
The Purpose of Man: Designed to Worship

The Purpose of Man: Designed to Worship

The one great obsession of A. W. Tozer’s life was worship. Many have written about worship, but Tozer surpassed them all in simple passion and supreme purpose. Compiled from material never before published, this book presents Tozer’s systematic teaching on worship, the subject close to his heart. One of the first in evangelical circles to call attention to the doctrine of ...more
Published February 16th 2009 by Regal (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Purpose of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purpose of Man

Stumbling Toward Faith by Renee N. AltsonA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverA Fragile Stone by Michael Card
2013 C
10th out of 100 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Frans Karlsson
Oct 02, 2016 Frans Karlsson rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about worship and how to approach it. Wise and challenging chapters.
Justin
Oct 01, 2011 Justin rated it liked it
In the introduction the editor claimed that the reader's views would be changed by the end of the book. I was skeptical, but decided to read on. At first I was not so sure that I agreed with that a lot of what Tozer said. I had to actually think about it more to figure out that he was taking more of a black and white view.

I really loved that he ended each chapter with a prayer. It was a really good example for incorporating the chapter into something I could understand better.

The read wasn't as
Amber B.
Mar 16, 2011 Amber B. rated it it was amazing
After reading a quote by him in an article ("Faith is the gaze of a soul upon a saving God."), I was interested to learn more about him and his writings. Knowing not much more than the title of this book, I ordered a copy. I never realized how timely this book would be. It was a God-sent and it's quite possibly one of the most life changing books I've ever read. It is well worth the read, and will more than likely draw you closer to God in the process.
Dan Mills
Jul 27, 2011 Dan Mills rated it really liked it
I would definitely recommend this book to someone who is new in their journey with Christ. Although I do not agree with everything Tozer writes, I believe the majority of it will benefit my spiritual life. He even states towards the end of this book when discussing the use of 'devotional reading' that you may not agree with everything they say but as long as you got something out of it, it was beneficial to have read. The final chapter 'Maintaing a vibrant worship lifestyle' was the most ...more
Aaron
Dec 15, 2015 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
The writings of Tozer always bring something to light, and are often rich and full of truth.
In “The Purpose of Man: Designed to Worship” Tozer talks about Man, how we started out and how we messed up his purpose and the restoration of his purpose for worship. what worship is and what all in entails and how we can worship, where we are to worship, and he even talks some about our sometimes misguided ideals of worship, and many just think of singing praise songs when it comes to worship, but wors
Esther Morrow
Jul 07, 2011 Esther Morrow rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on worship. Tozer wrote these notes several decades ago but they sound like he's still alive today. I think it's very important that we learn how to worship God appropriately, especially today when it seems anything goes. The imparitive is in Ch 13 when he says that if we fail to worship God well today, the next generation will not worship at all. I believe this is true and something we are seeing in this country now. Let us return to appropriate, meaningful, true worship!
Rachel Dawson
Jan 08, 2016 Rachel Dawson rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-radreads, faith
I had started this book months ago, and when I saw it on my bookshelf with the bookmark in the middle, I decided to finish it up. I enjoyed it-- I love learning more about what true worship looks like, and Tozer brings rich wisdom and insights to the table. I would highly recommend reading just the last chapter even if nothing else-- it's called "Maintaining a Vibrant Worship Lifestyle" and has wonderful practical applications and advice. At just shy of 200 pages, this is an easy to read and ...more
Jeff
Jun 15, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book. Not only should this be read by every Christian, it's one of those books that should be read every couple of years. It really shows that we were made to be worshippers of God, and anything less than that, we are not fulfilling what we are made for and what we will be doing for eternity. Great book!
Brandon
Sep 28, 2013 Brandon rated it liked it
A collection of Tozer's sermons on worship. I'm not crazy about books formed by throwing together loosely related sermons. Thus, as a whole, the book suffers. But that is not to say that there are some chapters (sermons) that really shine. Not a must-read, even for the subject of worship. But a worthwhile read for fans of Tozer.
Tim
Mar 20, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing
Though I might not agree with everything Tozer taught or suggested in this book, I am drawn to him because in his writing and life, it is evident that he knew God.

This is one of those books that will draw you into a deeper knowledge of God. It is a book that will stir your affections for Christ. Once you put this book down, you will be moved to pray.
Drew Dixon
Jun 28, 2013 Drew Dixon rated it really liked it
In reading Knowledge of the Holy, I discovereds that Tozer's words were rich and full of truth and mystery and awe. In this book I have found that his heart is filled with an incredible passion for one simple thing: the glorious exaltation of Jesus Christ. This, Tozer says, is man's purpose. I am challenged and encouraged to forever seek after the presence of God in a life of worship to Him!
Deepak Jariwala
Sep 21, 2015 Deepak Jariwala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Believer in Christ must read

This book presents Worship of God as a lifestyle and not as an event. This book has challenged me to be a worshipper , a real one and not just mechanically
Jeff
Aug 31, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the most impactful books I have read. You can feel a stirring in your heart as you read. Grateful that God grips the hearts of men to release His simple wisdom on the Earth. Praise Him!
Bobby Baden
Jun 11, 2016 Bobby Baden rated it really liked it
Tozer shoots straight with his passion for worshiping God, and his intolerance for the lukewarm Christianity of his day. This book helps you to get to the heart of worship and kindle anew your love for the only One who is worthy of our worship.
Daniel Bates
Apr 14, 2013 Daniel Bates rated it liked it
this was good, not great. Tozer only wrote nine books in his life, but hundreds and hundreds of articles. this book is a compilations of tozer's articles, not very coherent at points, not as authoritative as his other works.
Andrea
Mar 17, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Tozer again shakes up what we think about God and in this case, worship, by pointing us back to the idea that God defines what is acceptable worship. Chapter 14 gives concrete suggestions for making worship a lifestyle, not an event.
Emily Whelchel
Sep 27, 2014 Emily Whelchel rated it really liked it
I truly wish I had the opportunity to meet a man like A.W. Tozer. This simple and short book opened my eyes a little more to the depth and passion behind worship. Worth a read.
Jason Cooksey
Dec 28, 2010 Jason Cooksey rated it it was amazing
Absolutely mind-boggling! This book will definitely give you fresh perspective on worship, if not an entirely new one! I need to read this book again!
Ron
May 13, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: church
I read this book in preparation for a church class on worship. A lot of what Tozer has to say is as pertinent today as it was when he wrote the book (around 1960).
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Adrianna Miller
Adrianna Miller rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Seth Winterhalter
Seth Winterhalter rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Dinayen John
Dinayen John rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Ian Fallon
Ian Fallon rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Kelly Wilks
Kelly Wilks rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Trux
Trux rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2010
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2013
Rich Gatlin
Rich Gatlin rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life
  • Unceasing Worship: Biblical Perspectives on Worship and the Arts
  • Engaging with God: A Biblical Theology of Worship
  • Real Worship: Playground, Battleground, or Holy Ground?
  • The Works of Jonathan Edwards
  • A Taste of Heaven: Worship in the Light of Eternity
  • Yawning at Tigers: You Can't Tame God, So Stop Trying
  • One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus
  • The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Swans Are Not Silent, #3)
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Worship by the Book
  • Worship Old and New
  • Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship v. 1 (Face to Face: Intimate Worship)
  • Let Justice Roll Down
  • Teach Me to Pray
  • Inheriting the Trade: A Northern Family Confronts Its Legacy as the Largest Slave-Trading Dynasty in U.S. History
  • Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God
  • Leaders Who Last
Aiden Wilson Tozer was an American evangelical pastor, speaker, writer, and editor. After coming to Christ at the age of seventeen, Tozer found his way into the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination where he served for over forty years. In 1950, he was appointed by the denomination's General Council to be the editor of "The Alliance Witness" (now "Alliance Life").

Born into poverty in we
More about A.W. Tozer...

“To maintain a lifestyle of worship, we must attend to it on a daily basis. If you regulate worship to a once-a-week event, you really do no understand it, and it will take a low priority in your life.” 1 likes
“Worship,” Tozer explained, “is to feel in your heart and express in some appropriate manner a humbling but delightful sense of admiring awe and astonished wonder and overpowering love in the presence of that most ancient Mystery, that majesty which philosophers call the First Cause but which we call Our Father Which Art in Heaven.” 1 likes