Roastbeef's Promise

Roastbeef's Promise

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In this, his first novel, David Jerome combines two of his passions: travel and comedy writing, into one warm, and funny, travel-adventure. A Promise, An Urn, And An Atlas is loosely based on the author's experiences while visiting the 48 contiguous United States during the mid-1990s.
Published March 1st 2009 by Smack Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Roastbeef's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roastbeef's Promise

Marvin
David Jerome's novel about an affable loser who sprinkles his father's ashes in 49 states is very funny and quite alarmingly compassionate. The author claims that some, though not all of the events, were taken from his own travels which leads me to wonder which ones are for real and which ones aren't. Some critics have complained that many of the events are unbelievable but, having traveled throughout the states extensively myself, I could believe about 75 percent could be based on actual experi...more
Celia
To hear him tell it, in this rollicking account of the most disaster-prone road trip ever, if it weren’t for bad luck, poor young Jim “Roastbeef” Hume would have had no luck at all. He has embarked on a marathon journey through all 48 continental US states, in obedience to his adoptive father’s deathbed wish to scatter his ashes in every one of them. With not very much in his pocket, or a particular itinerary in mind, he drops out of college and sets out bravely, with 3/5ths of his father’s ashe...more
emi Bevacqua
Quirky, quick read about an adopted son named Roastbeef who decides to honor his beloved father's dying request that his ashes be strewn throughout the contiguous United States. At the time this promise is made Alzheimers has the dad believing he's FDR, but nevertheless Roastbeef is a 21 year old of his word, and doesn't have any apparent other commitments so off he goes on a crazy adventure. There were a couple egregious editing errors in the beginning, for example on page 16 "we road the numbe...more
Keith
What a marvelously funny novel. Since I’m usually not a fan of “Road Stories” I was not particularly drawn to this book but I’m really glad I made the effort to read it. It’s the story of Jim “Roastbeef” Hume who promised his dying father that when the time came he would scatter his ashes in every state of the contiguous lower forty eight. His adventures in pursuit of this mission are not only unpredictable but outrageously hilarious. The author has worked as a joke writer on various TV shows as...more
Melissa ownsbey
i thought the cover was good
the book was great it made nme laugh
so hard i cried
great book i won this book on good reads
Gregory
Quirky, fun, good times.
Easy read. Did I mention fun?
Carrie Kilgore
Tough book to rate... The writing is competent for the most part, and many times the humor made me smile. But if you're looking for character development, this is not the place. A son promises to sprinkle his dad's ashes in all 48 contiguous states... and we travel along with him. We meet some quirky characters, we have car trouble, we have money issues. Travel stories can obviously work--just think of all the road trip movies you like. The difference, of course, is that most hand you a couple o...more
Kristin
I like to buy the occasional book published by independent publishers for the library. I thought this one looked good - but then I also thought it was non-fiction.

First there were the grammar errors, your instead of you're, and extra quotations, "Like this," he said."

Then there was the narrative style. It was very "and then, and then, and then, and then..." And then (he he) the most ridiculous things happened to this guy in EVERY STATE. I can understand one or two things, but this was just too m...more
Estella
I went to the L.A. Times Festival of Books and met David Jerome. He was offering a free copy of this book to bloggers, and on his insistence, I took one. He said the book didn't sell as well as he'd wished when he published it three years ago (it did receive some critical acclaim), and this was a final attempt to garner some new readers. He seemed like a nice guy. The premise sounded familiar and intriguing, so I was looking forward to reading it.

Knowing Jerome's situation, I really wanted to l...more
Michael Delaware
A completely entertaining book from start to finish. I won my copy of this book from a Goodreads contest, and the story interested me from the start. The story is a humorous account of one man who decides to fulfill his father's dying request to have his ashes scattered in all 48 continuous states in the U.S.

I do not want to spoil the story by giving too many details, but I will say that every chapter seemed to bring to new levels the outrageous situations that the main character got himself int...more
Lisa
What do you want your loved ones to do with your body when you die? I’ve actually had this conversation with my family; both my parents want to be cremated. I also want to be cremated, and though I’m not entirely certain what I want to do with my ashes, I hate the thought of them sitting in an urn on someone’s mantle. So I liked the premise behind Roastbeef’s Promise: Roastbeef’s father has died and he wants his son to sprinkle his ashes in each of the contiguous 48 states. One helluva road trip...more
Aaron
Soory, Mr. Jerome. I wanted to like your book, but I couldn't get past how absurdly ridiculous it is. The premise itself is a winner, but it just isn't plausible to have something incredible and wacky happen in every single state. This much wackiness just doesn't happen to people in real life.

Example for readers who don't understand what I mean: in one sequence, the narrator's brakes fail as he's careening down a mountain. Okay. we're still good. Things like this happen all the time. BUT then th...more
Amy
A great debut!

After a co-worker discovered this, I just knew I had to read it. Unfortunately, we do not own this so I had to borrow it from another library. A big thanks to the Ashland, OH Public Library for sharing!

John "Roastbeef" Hume is a 21-year old college student. All his life, his dad has always been a staunch republican, but things quickly change and "towards the end", he thinks he is FDR!

The subtitle of this book is "When your dad's dying wish is to have his ashes sprinkled in each st...more
David Ketelsen
I won this book on GoodReads.

David Jerome's first book, Roastbeef's Promise is a funny and oddly compelling road adventure that follows Jim "Roastbeef" Hume on his quest to spread his father's ashes across the lower 48 states. As you might expect, few things go right for young Roastbeef and that's what makes the story work and contributes to the amusing quality of the plot.

Across the span of a year and a half Roastbeef Hume spreads the remains of both his father and one of his father's military...more
Michael Oates
Sometimes we read thinking novels, sometimes we read what are often referred to as candy bars. Jerome's novel Roastbeef's Promise is simply sweet humor that's good for the tummy but bad for the teeth. Nothing more. Try to read into it further than that and you'll spoil your appetite. So eat your James Joyce and your Faulkner and when you've finished your Hemingway you can have Roastbeef.
Colleen Estep
Roastbeef's Promise by David Jerome was a fun enjoyable read. I was glad to win my copy through Goodreads.
When Jim Hume's adopted Dad is diagnosed with Alzheimers, the most aggressive case the doctor's had ever seen, his time on earth and his mind in fact, is limited. He asks his son to promise him that he will have his body cremated and that he will scatter his ashes in the lower 48.
Jim, who wasn't doing well in college and was quick to decide he must keep this promise and takes a leave to...more
Marjorie
Given To Me For An Honest Review

If you want to laugh, cry and hope you have to read this book. It is about a son's promise to sprinkle his father's ashes in all 48 continuous states. It begins easy enough but before long trouble with a capital T comes along. This story takes you along with his car problems. He before too long has no car. Staying in a hostel Smelly is not the word for it. No money. On and On and On. But along the way he runs into those who are so kind as to help him along his way...more
DWGibb
Feb 24, 2011 DWGibb added it
Not a compelling read but a pleasant and amusing one. This guy who's spreading his dad's ashes across the Lower 48 has just about every obstacle you can imagine placed in his path, but somehow keeps on going. And he does it in good spirits, meeting a variety of characters along the way. His varied means of transportation and his methods of generating enough cash to keep going are ingenious and very entertaining. This method of interment sure beats a dreary funeral and a hole in the ground. The p...more
Diane
This book will entertain you, but how it entertains you depends on your age. For young people, it will be an adventure. For the middle age, it will make you ponder life. And for the elderly, it will make you wonder how far your family will go to fulfill your wishes, even after you're gone.

On the last few pages of the book there are directions, for those interested, to send pictures of the places mentioned where Roastbeef traveled. I am definitely going to do this as I am about on hour away from...more
Cathy
The book Roastbeef's Promise is the story of a young man who takes the ultimate road trip to fulfill his adoptive father's dying wish--to sprinkle his ashes in the 48 contiguous states. Although some of the situations are over-the-top and laugh-out-loud, I just could not find myself liking the main character and I was frankly put off with many of his exploits. Maybe I am just a little too old to appreciate this book--Roastbeef and my son are about the same age. I received this book in a Goodread...more
Philip
Once I got it in my head that I was reading a novel it was ridicuously funny the situations he put himself into to spread ashes.
Robert Keck
Sure, the road trip story has been done to death. But this road trip is about what happens after death. I love gallows humor and this book is really, really funny. Wait until you meet Uncle Spud. Hop in the back seat, don't spill the urn and be ready to pass yourself off as a lesbian's boyfriend.
Kathy Worrell
I won this book in a First reads giveaway. I would give the story 3.5 stars. A dying father asks his (adopted) son to spread his ashes throughout the 48 contiguous states. I enjoyed the adventure, it kept me interested right up to the end. I thought the book was well written and the words flowed smoothly. My only reservation would be that some of the things that happened to Roastbeef were a little over the top. Overall the book was satisfying and I would recommend this to my friends.
Kevin
Roastbeef's Promise is continuous fun from cover to cover. I never knew where the story was going to go, which is an accomplishment for me. It is probably one of the few books that so excellently mimics life, in all of its humor and drama. I will always highly recommend this book to anyone.
Mary
I was hoping this novel would be similar in style to the Dave Barry and Carl Hiassen books that I enjoy. However, it didn't quite hit the mark. Although the characters were zany and the adventures were entertaining, I didn't quite feel immersed. Also, inaccuracies related to some of the cities in the plot that I've visited, didn't sit well with me. (Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for the free copy of this book!)
Connie Stewart
I am still reading this and I love it! I can't wait to finish so I can loan it to my friends. I have been reading it in the break room at work and have been telling co workers about it. I love the characters that he meets. I just can't put it down. It is a very fun read.
Sue Jackson
A funny road trip novel (read during my recent road trip!) about a young man who fulfill's his father's last wish to have his ashes sprinkled in every state. Read my full review at:

Andrea
The premise is fascinating, but the author doesn't develop the narrator into an individual. The attempts at humor seem cliched and a little cold at some points and the main character's gradual development also too predictable.
Bethany
I found the main character a little difficult to relate to, but the pace and flow of the book kept me engaged and interested to see what would happen next. Overall I found the book to be an enjoyable read.
Beth
Enjoyable humor/travel novel. Easy reading, laugh-out-loud funny yet touching father/son story. Perfect if you are on vacation around the states. Our book club had a lot of fun with this one!
  • Characters in Search of a Novel
  • Country Music Broke My Brain: A Behind-the-Microphone Peek at Nashville's Famous and Fabulous Stars
  • I Thought We Agreed to Pee in the Ocean: And Other Amusings From a Girl Wearing Sweatpants
  • Alphabet Soup For Grown-Ups
  • Lemonade: Inspired by Actual Events
  • In A Pickle
  • Don't Cry Over Killed Milk
  • Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I've Lost My Damn Mind: A Manic's Mood Chart
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • Spirit Nudges: Proof That Spirit Is Never Far Away
  • 365 Guide New York City: Drink. Eat. Save. Every Day of the Year. A Guide to New York City Restaurant Deals and Bar Specials.
  • Landscapes & Cycles: An Environmentalist's Journey to Climate Skepticism