Start by marking “Himalayan Blunder: The Angry Truth About India's Most Crushing Military Disaster” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  420 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Published September 15th 2003 by Natraj Publishers

Anant Singh
Dec 04, 2013 Anant Singh rated it it was amazing
Just finished "Himalayan Blunders" written by Brigadier John Dalvi. It was my first book on Indo-Sino War and I am thankful for orkut Non-Fiction community to suggest me for reading this book. Book was banned as soon as it got published and I know the reason after reading it. John was in charge of 7th Brigade who took the responsibility of Handling the Chinese crisis along the Tibetan border. The book is full of agony , frustration and anger which author experienced during those days.

He coined a
Pradeep
Feb 04, 2010 Pradeep rated it it was amazing
A must read for all! Readers can understand the hidden politics of the politicians and the horrible life of the soldiers at the Himalayan border.

Every politician must read this book to know what he/she should not do.

After reading this, my impression of Nehru changed to a great extent! People should have changed their mind set slowly after the release of this book. But even today, many projects are being named after him! That is the great irony.
Rupin Chaudhry
Feb 14, 2014 Rupin Chaudhry rated it it was amazing
Just sample the following rules of engagement
(a) Persuade them to leave Indian territory
(b) If Chinese do not comply, dig-in opposite to them to scare them from attempting further incursion
(c) Fire is permitted only in self-defense and that too with minimum force

These were the orders to 7th infantry brigade from the higher command to counter the heavily armed, well administered, well prepared Chinese incursion in the Namka Chu valley of Thagla region of NEFA. The orders spelled total annihilatio
Vikram Karve
Jul 11, 2012 Vikram Karve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
ARE WE HEADING FOR ANOTHER HIMALAYAN BLUNDER
Musings
By
VIKRAM KARVE

This morning while browsing through my bookcase I chanced upon one of my favourite military autobiographies – HIMALAYAN BLUNDER by Brig JP Dalvi. The television was on, my favourite news channel was blaring away, and as I started reading Himalayan Blunder, leafing through the pages of the book, I was filled with a sense of déjà vu. The events unfolding before my eyes, on TV News Channels, and the events chronicled in the book – the
Amit Tiwary
Aug 20, 2014 Amit Tiwary rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books, favorites
Extremely repetitive content. I have complete trust on what J P Dalvi says but the tone is so negative and harsh. This is true that the Dalvi was implicated and made a scapegoat in this whole episode and his frustrations and pain flow on pages of the book. Still I believe he could have gone a bit soft. Plus the Chinese side of story doesn't come out that well in this one.

I have started with Neil Maxwell's "India's China war" and that is good so far.

I have my respect for the gallantry and resol
Srinivas
Jun 10, 2010 Srinivas marked it as to-read
[Through Atanu:]
Apparently, Ms. IG banned this book because it exposed her father. I hope Indians will wake up to the truth, and shove the dynasty to the rightful place it deserves to be in.

Not sure if this book is available in the stores now.
Aashish
Nov 03, 2013 Aashish rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for various reasons.

Firstly, Indian war books are rare. This is not a genre that is appreciated in common discussions. There are no star war analysts or writers. And those who pretend to be so on mass television, tend to be ill informed or come with set agendas.

Secondly, this book talks about a history, which is impossible to find anywhere else. School books, contemporary history texts and op-eds almost always skip the ignominy of China war. There could be many reasons
Baidhurya
Oct 16, 2014 Baidhurya rated it really liked it
The book is unique in a sense that it is written by the Brigadier who actually led the force in NEFA. The book is well written and provides an indepth analysis of India's Chinese Policies, its apathy towards its army and most importantly how Mr. Nehru, Mr. Menon and Mr. Kaul created an environment of self deception for them, the parliament and the Indian public which ultimately led to India's defeat... I would have rated it 5 star had it not been repetitive.
Rajasekhar Rao
Feb 22, 2016 Rajasekhar Rao rated it it was amazing
In October 1950, the newly born People 19s Republic of China brought "freedom " to Tibet by sending in some 20,000 troops. This "liberation" was offered to Tibetans by the People's Republic of China by overwhelming the tiny Tibetan army. Subsequent consolidation of Chinese control was cemented in 1959 resulting in the destruction of thousands of Tibetan monastaries. The Chinese move apparently took India by surprise. Tibet appealed for help but India refused and advised the Tibetans to negotiate ...more
Ankit Rana
Jan 17, 2014 Ankit Rana rated it it was amazing
What makes a nation great ?

The book provides a beautiful answer to the question above. Our humble army men, doing a thankless job, without ration, ammunition,boots or winter clothing, defending few useless pieces of logs and redeeming the follies of few spineless, arrogant men with their blood, sacrificed themselves fighting valiantly for the honour of the country.

JP Dalvi rightly asks what more can a nation ask of its soldiers.

Not many of those who sacrificed their lives are remembered by the p
DrDork
May 07, 2016 DrDork rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Brigadier Dalvi has written a book analyzing the Chinese invasion of 1962. 'Failing to prepare is preparing to fail'-Benjamin Franklin. Nowhere is this adage more apt than in the descriptions given by the Brigadier.
India's political machinery was inept then and they stand exposed. It is not the losing but the manner of losing that hurts. Krishna Menon's communism and idiocy, Nehru's lack of foresight and planning, went into the chinese stroll inside India.
Two lessons the author wants to convey t
Sagar Birkar
Oct 28, 2014 Sagar Birkar rated it it was amazing
This is one of the rare books which does provide a political and military point of view. Brigadier Dalvi got the title right. Chapters 1,2 and 6 were the best chapters. The fatal Forward Policy was well covered and the chaos surrounding the order well explained. As he rightly points out, the political play became a moment of tragedy for the Indian Army. The loss of 1962 still does in a sense make us feel second to China. Not much has changed in our policy. We still continue to have boundary issu ...more
Vijay Rayasam
Jan 26, 2014 Vijay Rayasam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
The book deals with the war between India and China faught in the year 1962, in the area of Mc mahon line near Arunachal pradesh. It gives us a real insight about whatever happened before war, during war and after war. Its deals with the conditions in which the Indian Army had to survive in those heights where they were not even provided with adequate winter clothing, shelter and food supply. The supply lines were totally absent in the war zone because of which our army had to rely on air droppi ...more
Prem Rao
Jan 18, 2013 Prem Rao rated it it was amazing
Brig. John Dalvi was perhaps best positioned to write about the Indo-China War of 1962, an event in which the Indian Army came out second best, not because of their fault but largely because of the sloth of the men who governed India those days.

"Himalayan Blunder" is the story of a tragedy which could well have been averted. A story of how egos got in the way of common sense and made the poor ill-equipped Indian soldier fight an uneven battle against vastly better armed and prepared Chinese troo
Mudit Sood
Oct 16, 2014 Mudit Sood rated it it was amazing
Everything except the fighting spirit of the Indian soldier failed in the events leading up to the brief Sino-Indian War of 1962 in which our country were over run by the mighty Chinese.

It's a classic case of lack of foresight, planning, co-ordination between the babus and the military brass, tattered infrastructure, abysmal condition of the Indian soldier (lack of woolen clothes, limited food supplies, old WW II era guns, limited ammunition and mortar) and the lack of willingness of the civili
Anthony Nesbitt
May 08, 2014 Anthony Nesbitt rated it it was amazing
Impressive. Dalvi's first hand account of India's disasterous month long war with China in October 1962 provides a damning verdict on Indian Government incompetence. As well as effectively how the Indian army was betrayed by its own government. A classic example as to how a minor disagreement between neighbouring countries can escalate into a major flash point.
Milind Trivedi
Mar 14, 2014 Milind Trivedi rated it liked it
Brutal truth about India's forward and foreign policy. Must read for every Indian specially for those who sympathise "chacha" Nehru during and post independence and sino-Indian war.
Parthu Balina
Nov 21, 2014 Parthu Balina rated it really liked it
Insightful.. A lesson in how good leaders can be at the heart of blunders. Its best to be confident in our preparation against the enemy. Peace comes through strength.
Basu Chiniwalar
May 30, 2014 Basu Chiniwalar rated it it was amazing
A must read all Indians. Know how India lost to China in war
Govind Dhami
I am new. No Idea once i start reading I will know
Amrathraj Nayak
Apr 30, 2014 Amrathraj Nayak rated it it was amazing
To understand Jawaharlal Nehru "better"
Dinesh Murthy
Apr 14, 2015 Dinesh Murthy rated it really liked it
A must read for every Indian.
Sachin
Mar 25, 2014 Vijsy added it
read it
Karthik Kashyap
Mar 03, 2014 Karthik Kashyap rated it it was amazing
The book speaks about the struggling of Indian army in 1951.
This also tells how Congress and Nehru ruined our India.
Pushkar Verma
Sep 27, 2012 Pushkar Verma rated it really liked it
One of the best military book I have ever read.In today's time It makes me wonder are we heading for another Himalayan Blunder??Brig Dalvi "no hold barred" account of Indo-China War was an eye opener for me.Nehru should have been charged with Massacring of our Indian soldiers , but he is always known as "Chacha Nehru". Thank you very much Retd. Brig. Dalvi for sharing the facts.
Siddarth Gore
Oct 06, 2015 Siddarth Gore rated it really liked it
A gripping read. We generally want to read about the successful missions of our country but the unsuccessful ones give a greater insight into all the mechanisms that are in play when it comes to such a huge and horrendous event as a war. This book provides great recounting of all the political as well as military happenings leading up to that war.
Ajay Ajay
Feb 09, 2015 Ajay Ajay rated it it was amazing
How does Nehru blundered in reading the imminent attack by China. How he was in London finalising the Colombo Plan and not declaring war for many days. How he trusted his incompetent Defence Minister and how our soldiers fought battle without battle gear and arms.

Just pick it to know the truth, hitherto hidden from all of us.
Deepankar
Jul 13, 2012 Deepankar rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
the reader will just start to hate the political establishment of that time, with nothing but biased dominance of concealed selfishness crept in the leaderships. Absolute disregard to the visionaries and then needless, yet necessary(for leaders) crocodile tears aftermath of Sino-Indian war.
Indo China War 2 24 Oct 10, 2013 03:26AM