Start by marking “1918: A Very British Victory” as Want to Read:
1918: A Very British Victory

1918: A Very British Victory

In the spring of 1918 the German army launched a series of devastating offensives against the French and British lines on the Western Front. This vivid account captures the desperation of ordinary British soldiers fighting with their backs to the wall as they clung on to their fragile lines. Drawing on the dramatic personal accounts of men who were there—both commanders an ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1918

happy
Jan 12, 2013 happy rated it really liked it
1918: A Very British Victory is a very good look at the operations of the BEF from the German Spring Offensives thru to the end of the war.

Dr. Hart uses first person accounts very well, blending them with the point is making. In fact his use of 1st person accounts remind me a little of Lyn MacDonald.

Hart covers the war from all angles – from the highest levels down to the individual infantryman/gunner. He uses accounts from British, French, US and German sources.

He offers a different Douglas Ha
Michael
Apr 19, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
I was raised to believe that the British and French were on the ropes in World War One until the United States entered the war and saved the day. Much in the way settlers circled the wagons and held on until the cavalry rode to the rescue. "1918: A Very British Victory" disabused me of this belief.

Peter Hart described the situation in early 1918. The Russian Revolution ended combat to a large degree on the eastern front freeing a million or so German troops, many of them specially trained assaul
Tim Diggles
Jan 17, 2016 Tim Diggles rated it really liked it
I read this and as I did realised it was not the book I wanted to read about the period, I was looking for a broader sociological and more politically centred one. Peter Hart concentrates on the British victory and especially the view of it through the words of the soldiers, which at times are 80% of a chapter, are heartrending and deal with the confusion, fear and death involved in this terrible conflict. He quite rightly shows Haig in a good light, someone who had to get the job done, which se ...more
Begona Fernandez
Jan 09, 2012 Begona Fernandez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, ww1
I was at Heathrow Airport without anything to read, my Kindle was on it's way to the plane in my suitcase; and I can't live without at least the posibility of something to read. So I headed to WHS to get my fix.

After lots of looking around I saw this book and it proved to be a great catch. I always been more of a 2nd World War fanatic but the premise of this book, proving than that 1918 was actually a great British victory instead of the myth of massacre after massage shown in Blackadder.

This
Lee
Jun 26, 2012 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: military-history
This was a good read, though it seemed a little long to me.

The key element was the weaving together of many veteran accounts and narrations the battles in which they participated. The narrations were effective at pushing the author's contention that the British army in 1918 had become, through hard experience and careful staff work, the best in the world. As they had defeated the previous contender (the Imperial German Army), it is hard for me to dispute this.

Paul
Jun 05, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
superbly researched and a good read
Mark Schons
Mark Schons rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2017
mr p wastell
mr p wastell rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2016
Gordon Plant
Gordon Plant rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Adam Mills
Adam Mills rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Geevee
Geevee rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
John Reid
John Reid rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2014
Scobar
Scobar rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Neil Outram
Neil Outram rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2011
Andy Barham
Andy Barham rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Steve Bramley
Steve Bramley rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
John Bailey
John Bailey rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
May 20, 2012
John Steiner
John Steiner rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Paul Thompson
Paul Thompson rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
John McKnight
John McKnight rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Craig Boyle
Craig Boyle rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Michael Spearpoint
Michael Spearpoint rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Merryn Robinson
Merryn Robinson rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Peter Hart is a British military historian.

He grew up in Stanhope, 1955–1962; Barton under Needwood, 1962–1964 and Stone, 1964–1967.He moved to Chesterfield and attended School there from 1967–1973 and Liverpool University, from 1973–1976. He then did a post-graduate teaching course at Crewe & Alsager College, 1976–1977 and finally post-grad librarianship at Liverpool Polytechnic, 1979–1980. H
More about Peter Hart...