Start by marking “1918: A Very British Victory” as Want to Read:
1918: A Very British Victory

1918: A Very British Victory

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the spring of 1918 the German army launched a series of devastating offensives against the French and British lines on the Western Front. This vivid account captures the desperation of ordinary British soldiers fighting with their backs to the wall as they clung on to their fragile lines. Drawing on the dramatic personal accounts of men who were there—both commanders an ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1918

happy
1918: A Very British Victory is a very good look at the operations of the BEF from the German Spring Offensives thru to the end of the war.

Dr. Hart uses first person accounts very well, blending them with the point is making. In fact his use of 1st person accounts remind me a little of Lyn MacDonald.

Hart covers the war from all angles – from the highest levels down to the individual infantryman/gunner. He uses accounts from British, French, US and German sources.

He offers a different Douglas Ha
Michael
I was raised to believe that the British and French were on the ropes in World War One until the United States entered the war and saved the day. Much in the way settlers circled the wagons and held on until the cavalry rode to the rescue. "1918: A Very British Victory" disabused me of this belief.

Peter Hart described the situation in early 1918. The Russian Revolution ended combat to a large degree on the eastern front freeing a million or so German troops, many of them specially trained assaul
Begona Fernandez
I was at Heathrow Airport without anything to read, my Kindle was on it's way to the plane in my suitcase; and I can't live without at least the posibility of something to read. So I headed to WHS to get my fix.

After lots of looking around I saw this book and it proved to be a great catch. I always been more of a 2nd World War fanatic but the premise of this book, proving than that 1918 was actually a great British victory instead of the myth of massacre after massage shown in Blackadder.

This
Lee
This was a good read, though it seemed a little long to me.

The key element was the weaving together of many veteran accounts and narrations the battles in which they participated. The narrations were effective at pushing the author's contention that the British army in 1918 had become, through hard experience and careful staff work, the best in the world. As they had defeated the previous contender (the Imperial German Army), it is hard for me to dispute this.

Paul
superbly researched and a good read
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Dane Stewart
Dane Stewart marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
IsabelleJ
IsabelleJ marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
TheWallsofKonstantinople
TheWallsofKonstantinople marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Brandon Laing
Brandon Laing marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Paul Mais
Paul Mais marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Jb3
Jb3 marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Derek Mcknight
Derek Mcknight marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Kalman
Kalman marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Charles Smith
Charles Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Brittany Kay
Brittany Kay marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Laura Mahler
Laura Mahler marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Hobbes Choice
Hobbes Choice marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Peter Hart is a British military historian.

He grew up in Stanhope, 1955–1962; Barton under Needwood, 1962–1964 and Stone, 1964–1967.He moved to Chesterfield and attended School there from 1967–1973 and Liverpool University, from 1973–1976. He then did a post-graduate teaching course at Crewe & Alsager College, 1976–1977 and finally post-grad librarianship at Liverpool Polytechnic, 1979–1980. H
More about Peter Hart...
The Somme: The Darkest Hour on the Western Front The Great War: A Combat History of the First World War Mick: The Real Michael Collins Gallipoli Jutland 1916: Death in the Grey Wastes