Start by marking “Ester Ried (The Pansy Collection, Book #1)” as Want to Read:
Ester Ried (The Pansy Collection, Book #1)

Ester Ried (Ester Ried #1)

"If something would only happen--if I could have one day, just one day, different from the others!"

Thus mourned Ester Ried, for it seemed to her that her days consisted of nothing but monotony. Every day she made beds, baked endless pies in a hot kitchen, ironed, and raced against the clock to get tea on the table for the boarders. Every evening she fell into bed, too wear

Published 2000 by Mantle Ministries Press (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Ester Ried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ester Ried

Trace
Jan 29, 2016 Trace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light reading... I love this author.... may not be everyone's cup of tea (old-fashioned, conservative Christian writing) but when I'm looking for a light, comfort read - this is one of the authors I turn to.
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 Lisa Rathbun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This old-fashioned and simple story focuses on Ester, a Christian girl who was so irritable around the house in her daily life that her younger, unsaved sister didn't see her own need for Christ because she never saw that Christian belief had changed her older sister for the better. Yikes! That was convicting! Ester thought she was "good," but she wasn't letting Christ control her attitude in the trivial day-to-day events of her life. I desire my family to see Christ in me, not just hear me talk ...more
Charlene
I've just recently been introduced to Isabella Alden's books. I read "Ester Ried” for the first time this year and really enjoyed it as I am encouraged anew to fulfill each task as for Christ. Ester is not a pious, angelic girl who is nearly perfect. She is just a normal girl with everyday experiences which I’m sure most of us can relate to, though the book was written in the 1800’s. I highly recommend this author for helping us to put our Christian faith to "work."
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story, written around the turn of the century about a young girl, burdened with cares of this world and pretending to be something she is not. She is consequentially miserable and begins to see that without Christ, her life is vain. A sweet story, simply told, the message invaluable.
Victoria Minks
Apr 14, 2016 Victoria Minks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was SO good! It was incredibly convicting and yet also encouraging. I pretty much never cry with books (unless I'm laughing too hard) but the tears just kept coming with this one. It's one of those books that I'm going to tell my friends "You HAVE to read this! It was SO good. I was crying for a full ten minutes after I finished it!" ;)
Jaclynn
Apr 23, 2008 Jaclynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Ester’s story reminds us all how important our Christian witness is and not to waste any of our time here on earth. But it is also a story of “2nd chances” and of redeeming what the Lord has given us. This one really inspired me in my walk with Christ and how every word and every action do count in my witness for Christ.
Abigail Rasmussen
I read this book when I was 15 years old. Wonderful book. It's one of my absolute favorites.

I not listened to this book, however it was read for LibriVox by TriciaG: http://librivox.org/ester-ried-by-isa... Tricia is a good reader.
Lisa
Aug 11, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this author. Great story, though slow in spots. Isabella Alden throws in a surprise in the story which catches you off guard. Must read this one before any others in the Ester Reid series or it will spoil the others.
May 09, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most beautiful, convicting, sweet book that I have ever read. Seriously my new favorite book. Okay, okay, so it's kinda sad, but it's just sooo good.
Little Red Readinghood
An old-fashioned Christian book about how a girl gives her life to Christ. A good book if you like that sort of thing which I do.
Rebecca Rash
May 21, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is fiction that counts! Recommended to every Christian girl.
Hannah
Nasia
Apr 14, 2009 Nasia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
great book. :) inspiring!
Cindy
Aug 13, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book showing where one is and how Christ can change a life.
Melissa Moore
Feb 22, 2011 Melissa Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolute favorite "old" books! So convicting, so powerful.
Gilda
Gilda rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2017
Kat17
Kat17 rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2011
Jenny315
Jenny315 rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Beth Nell
Beth Nell rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2008
Salinn
Salinn rated it did not like it
Oct 31, 2013
Sarah Jane
Sarah Jane rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2007
Jubileesong
Jubileesong rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Miranda
Miranda rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Cassie Young
Cassie Young rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2008
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
booklearner
booklearner rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2015
Nadia
Nadia rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Brianna
Brianna rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
  • An Unwilling Guest
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • A Peep Behind the Scenes
In her lifetime, Isabella MacDonald Alden was usually published under the pseudonym Pansy, and occasionally under the name Mrs. G.R. Alden.
More about Pansy...