Start by marking “Walking The Boundaries” as Want to Read:
Walking The Boundaries

Walking The Boundaries

Martin lives in the city with his mum. He′s come to walk the boundaries of the farm that′s been in his family for generations. It sounds easy, especially as he′ll own the land when he gets back. Martin′s great-grandfather, Ted, doesn′t even want him to walk around the farm′s fences, just up the gorge and along the hills.

But up in the gorge Martin meets Meg from almost a ce
Published March 29th 2006 by HarperCollins - AU (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Walking The Boundaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking The Boundaries

Russell Hall
Jan 27, 2011 Russell Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
A Wonderful blend of humanity and innocence. French takes land ownership, a hotly contested issue between settlers and native people and puts a face on each successive caretaker of the land and even back beyond land. I bought it in Australia nad I really learned much about many of the issues in Australia today, and in the past. I would love as a teacher to teach not only humanity with this book, but also about the responsibility we as a civilization have to the planet. A wonderful read all aroun ...more
Larissa
Jan 24, 2017 Larissa rated it really liked it
Jackie French is my favourite author and I love how she incorporates Australian history into her novels. Walking the Boundaries is about a young boy named Martin who was put to the challenge to walk the boundaries of his great-grandfather's land. If he successfully walks the boundaries, his great-grandfather would give him the land, and Martin plans to sell it. While walking the boundaries, Martin meets Meg from 70 years ago, Wullamudulla from thousands of years ago, and Dracula, a cheeky diprot ...more
Kerry
Mar 19, 2011 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice children's book, bringing together (magically) characters from modern day, settlement, and pre-settlement times in Australia, all walking the same land together. Sometimes seemed a little heavy handed on introducing cultural elements, but still was a nice sense of indigenousness dreamtime and their relationship to the land and to their ancestors (both human and otherwise). It had a nice story as well. I plan on giving it as a gift to nieces/nephews in the US.
Hannah
Sep 07, 2011 Hannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Walking the Boundaries is a different and complicated book. I didn't really enjoy as much as I would have liked to. It was only until the end that I fully understood what was going on in the book. Otherwise the book isn't one of my favourites but I love how it is set in Australia and shows how different Australia is and how beautiful it really is.
Therese
A story of the connection between people and the land told via a seemingly innocent walk around the boundaries of a farmstead. It also tells of shared humanity that transcends time and culture.

It is not one of her best works but there are lessons to be learnt and a great "time travel" story for the kids.
Carly Tebbutt
Jan 15, 2013 Carly Tebbutt rated it liked it
I remember having this book read to me in primary school - and at the time it captivated me.

It's definitely been a while since then, but sometimes I still think about the main characters and the mysterious circumstances of their story.

This would be great to read to your children in a classroom or before bedtime.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Pretty sure it has the line about pizza and 'how do you hunt it' and 'it would take too long to explain' twice in the novel. One instance is on page 142 in my version, and one is a lot earlier - caught my attention especially as I don't think it would take too long to explain at all :\ Meg knows what bread is, and meat... and you just go on from there.
Asha
Jan 23, 2013 Asha rated it really liked it
Liked this book a lot once it got going. Loved the way that jackie brings together the three characters from modern day, settlement, and pre settlement. It makes this book distinctive and interesting.
Andrew
An intriguing story about children learning about who they are, what they believe and developing a bond with the land. The same area of land is viewed from the perspectives of a modern boy, and girl in the 1920s and an aboriginal boy from pre colonisation times.
Zena
Mar 13, 2011 Zena rated it really liked it
A beautiful piece of adolescent fiction which moves effortlessly through time and culture in order to discover meaning.
Di
Jun 12, 2012 Di rated it liked it
quite a complicated background for a childrens book. questions how we should look at life and treat our planet
Meredith Walker
Dec 01, 2012 Meredith Walker rated it it was ok
This is a nice enough story with valuable themes to do with stewardship told through the lens of reflection on the indigenous sense of dreamtime and connection to the land.
Louise Lucas
May 30, 2015 Louise Lucas rated it really liked it
Another book from my daughters school list (year 7 this time) an interesting read.
Taiah02
Sep 16, 2013 Taiah02 rated it it was amazing
Great book and it give you so much more ability to read and tells you much about culture
Karib
Jun 03, 2013 Karib added it
560 lexile, available for checkout from our MS book room!
Rose
Oct 07, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walking the Boundaries (Bluegum) by Jackie French (1993)
Emily
Aug 05, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok
It was alright but would only recommend it to 12 years as it is a kids book and a very easy read
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Elsie Jane
Elsie Jane rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2013
Isadora
Isadora rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2010
Olivia Jane Books
Olivia Jane Books rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2014
Laura rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Gabby
Gabby rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Ethan Pritchard
Ethan Pritchard rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Moth To The Flame
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • Survivor (Alone, #2)
  • The Song of the Earth (The Wanderers, #2)
  • Layla, Queen of Hearts
  • Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date
  • Secrets Of The Red Lantern: Stories And Recipes From The Heart
  • Girls to the Rescue: Just a Girl, #2
  • Forget me not: The Story of One Family's Voyage on the Titanic
  • L'Ordinatueur (Les enquêtes de Logicielle, #2)
  • Jean qui grogne et Jean qui rit
  • Other Brother
  • All the Pope's Men: The Inside Story of How the Vatican Really Thinks
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary philosoph ...more
More about Jackie French...