Start by marking “Double Play (Pacific Heat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Double Play (Pacific Heat, #1)

Double Play (Pacific Heat #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  7,169 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
Getting to first base is a cinch...But getting home will take a grand slam...

Pace Martin is the ace pitcher for the Pacific Heat. He's got the arm, the experience, and the wins. He's also got the pain, the pressure, and the possible end of his career looming over him. The last thing he needs now is a distraction, even if it comes in the form of a tough, beautiful, tell-it-
Mass Market Paperback, 282 pages
Published July 7th 2009 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Double Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Play

Auntee
Jun 29, 2009 Auntee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary sports romance
This was a very sweet, and sometimes hot read, especially for any baseball fans. For non-baseball fans, I'm not too sure if you would enjoy it as much, because even though it is a romance, it does spend some time on a lot of behind the scenes baseball stuff: groupie-stalkers, baseball superstitions, the media, drug scandals/testing, pressures to perform, career expectations, dealing with injuries, etc. Sports fans may find this interesting (as I did), but others may find that it takes away a bit ...more
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary/Sports Romance

What a light, easy, breezy, fun, and sexy read! I loved everything about this book: Shalvis’s witty writing, the snappy dialogue, the hot, steamy, sweet romance, spunky reporter Holly Hutchins, and drop-your-panties-cause-he’s-so-damn-sexy, star pitcher Pace Martin. Or as Holly would say, “Holy hot tamales, Batman”.

I’m a fan of most sports, but baseball has never been a favorite. It’s just too slow, methodical, and boring for me, but go figure; I’ve always lo
Samantha
Apr 28, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I have never read a Jill Shalvis book and I had no clue what to expect. Not being a big baseball fan, I was some what leery of my reactions to this book. Surprisingly, I was knocked off my feet with this one. Jill Shalvis delivers enough energy, witt and romance to keep her readers entertain. What I loved the most was that while she threw in the sports stuff there was enough romance to keep me going.

Pace Martin is the star pitcher for the Pacific Heat. He’s going through a rough time. Once an ar
Courtnie

Ultra light and breezy - lots of dialogue. Entertaining with an scorching hot pitcher and a independent and capable (albeit classically nosy) journalist.

Pace is an ace pitcher in the middle of the season of his career, when a nagging shoulder problem threatens to derail his train. The last thing he needs is a woman to distract him from his focus on the game and therapy he needs for healing.

Holly is a journalist hired by the Heat baseball team to spread a little good publicity through a
Lyndi
Mar 01, 2012 Lyndi rated it really liked it
My friends and I trade e-books and I traded my Patricia Cornwell collection for a Jill Shalvis collection (and seriously doubting my sanity because of it). So I've been trying to tear through the collection so I can trade it in for something horribly smutty, which means I've basically read the same author for a week now. Not a good idea.

After a handful of DNFs where the tropes and cliches were so abundant it was almost parody, I've finished maybe 10 books? And now I'm starting to recognize phras
Kelly22

4.00 Star Contemporary Sports Romance!

Woah! What can I say; Jill Shalvis precisely acted like herself in writing another superb contemporary romance novel all over again! Well no, I ain’t complaining at all!

The ingredients of Double Play includes a witty, sexy romantic storyline, with an added twist of humor to proceed as a garnish! Making it one yummy novel to read! :D

She even made baseball interesting! And that’s saying a lot given my consistent loathing of this game. It features the story
Tina "IRead2Escape"
Oh my god, I honestly don't think that Jill Shalvis can write a bad book. Having read the Lucky Harbor series and loving it I figured I would try the Pacific Heat series and it didn't let me down. I may even love it more than the Lucky Harbor series. I know, gasp! Keep in mind, I love anything to do with sports, so this probably influences that thought.

Pace Martin is the pitcher of the professional baseball team the Pacific Heat. He's feeling old and afraid that the rest of the world is going to
jvan326
Oct 07, 2013 jvan326 rated it it was ok
Stephanie
Jul 26, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports-romance
4.5 stars!!! I really enjoyed this book, but I am a baseball nut!!! I know for a fact that baseball players don’t mess with a streak, but come on, making out in a smelly shower before every game. This is what Pace and Holly were forced to do before every game by his manager. Now I fully believe there is a baseball god and that you must respect him, but this was a tad unbelievable that someone as smart and sassy as Holly would put up with this. And a bit annoying. I guess though it was necessary ...more
Wicked Incognito Now
I can't point to anything wrong with this book per se, I just found it really bland.

I was about halfway through with it thinking...I wish I were already done with this so I could read something else. Snap! I don't HAVE to finish this book! So, I didn't.
I had the same problem with the other Jill Shalvis book that I read, Instant Attraction, SB Sarah and the Dear Author gang talked it up big time for their "Save the Contemporary" hoo ha, and I just thought it was blah. Not bad. The writing was wel
Amanda
Jul 04, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: jill-shalvis
This was my first book by Jill Shalvis, and I was pleasantly surprised by how wonderfully written and well developed each character was, since this book by most standards is a little short. She did a great job and her writing style is superb. If this is any indication of how the rest of the series is going to go and possibly her other book s then I can't wait to get my hands on them.

In this book you meet a multitude of great characters but the two who shine and make this book so great is Pace M
Nikki
2 stars.

Yeesh. Thank god that's over with. I dunno what it is about Jill Shalvis but whilst everyone in the contemporary romance fandom seems to adore her writing, it leaves me only lukewarm. I remember feeling that way about her Lucky Harbour series... it's like there's no real depth to her stories, almost like they skim the surface.

I liked the baseball action in Double Play. The plot was a little boring - I didn't like the fact that Holly was an investigative reporter trying to uncover secret
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I tend to dislike sports based romances, but read this one 'cause I like Jill Shalvis so much. And it was actually pretty decent! I enjoyed it!
Fani loves angst
My recently re-found bad luck, strikes again; yet another book that started with too much promise, only it didn't deliver in the end.

Pace is a baseball star who's been recently having problems with his shoulder that he tries to keep secret since they'd have a huge impact on his career. Holly is a reporter sent to cover the progress of Heat (Pace's team) while trying to ferret out any juicy secrets she can. Holly very quickly finds out that Pace is more than a simple jock, but kindhearted and sma
Paige
Jan 26, 2014 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2014-books
Pretty good.

***Details***
3.5

DOUBLE PLAY was pretty good, but it didn’t rock my socks. I loved the witty banter between Pace and Holly.

With her being a reporter, there was a lot of mistrust between them at the start. It was great to watch to mistrust fade, despite Pace’s reluctance to admit it at times.

Holly shows up at the worst time for Pace. His team is on the verge of making history and he’s the lead pitcher, but his injured shoulder won’t be ignored for much long. Add that to Holly, the r
Holly
Nov 14, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it

Holly was fun and witty. Though she held herself back from forming strong attachments she wasn't completely closed off. She was still open and honest. I really liked her personality.

Pace wasn't your typical alpha-athlete. Though he was the star of the team, it bothered him that people thought of him so. Instead of coming off as a martyr, I found him to be somewhat refreshing.

The issue of trust between the two of them was the main source of contention. I think this worked because both were upfron
Janja
May 10, 2016 Janja rated it liked it
3,5

I found this book as recommendation after reading something else,but i must say that i'm a bit disappointed with Double Play. It supposed to be light and fun and it wasn't,( first chaphters were simple boring) well not for me. I admit that some dialogues are great and fun but i realy expected more.
Ceci
Sep 18, 2009 Ceci rated it liked it
I'm beggining to wonder if i'm getting tired of this genre... This book started really good and very promising but it become very repetitive and boring. It wasn't bad but the author could have cut down a few chapters.
Aoi
Oct 31, 2014 Aoi rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Breezy, sexy and completely delightful..The flirtatious banter and chemistry was off the charts! People who aren't baseball fans needn't be put off this one- the technical terms are at a minimum, instead the story focuses on the life and times of a sports team.

Melis
Jan 28, 2016 Melis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2016
Uzun zamandır beni bu kadar güldüren bir kitap okumamıştım. Yazara buradan kucak dolusu öpücük gönderiyorum :)
Janna
Apr 25, 2010 Janna rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-f
I’ve read a few Blazes by Jill Shalvis before. Just Try Me, Shadow Hawk and Room Service are really lovely and steamy reads. That’s why I wanted to give one of her other romances a try. What attracted me in Double Play was the setting of this sports world, baseball to be exact. And of course the yummie cover! I mean, look at it...
And the story didn’t disappoint me, Double Play was a fun, sexy read.

So, reading Double Play was enjoyable. There were a lot of things to like but also a few things tha
Bekah
Jul 31, 2011 Bekah rated it liked it
3.25 of 5*

Holly Hutchins is a professional blogger with a knack for ferreting out secrets. Her latest assignment is to complete an in depth series on the much loved Pacific Heat baseball team. Holly decides to begin her series with a one on one interview with the team’s all star pitcher Pace Martin. But at this time in Pace’s life, a nosy little reporter is the last thing he needs digging up dirt on him and the team. However, getting rid of her proves to be impossible from the get go.

This is my
KatiD
Mar 07, 2012 KatiD rated it really liked it
Shelves: rntv-reviews
A review by Kati Dancy
Publisher: Penguin
4.25 stars out of 5

Holly Hutchins is a reporter, a darn good one. She’s got a very successful blog that is often picked up by major papers and television. Her specialty is uncovering secrets. And she’s won awards for it. When her boss informs her that her new assignment will be doing a three month series of blogs about the Pacific Heat, a baseball team that is rising in the chase for the Pennant and specifically to see what she can uncover about the team’s
Danielle
Dec 24, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it
Play Ball!!

This was a great contemporary romance. Since I happen to love Baseball myself, I had to read this book. Come to find out I would not be disappointed. Not only do you get the romance you get a view inside the baseball season.

Pace Martin does not need any distractions while in season. He's the star pitcher for the Santa Barbara Pacific Heat's baseball team. Fighting an injury that could end his career and trying to pitch the Heat to the World Series. With lots of pressure on him already
Colette
Mar 26, 2010 Colette rated it liked it
Pace Martin doesn't need distractions right now. He's the star pitcher for the Santa Barbara Pacific Heat's baseball team. He's fighting an injury that could end his career and trying to get the Heat to the World Series. He has tons of pressure on him already, and he doesn't need Holly Hutchinson interfering in his life or career right now. Holly Hutchinson is good at finding secrets. She's a writer for a blog, and knows there is something that the Heat and Pace Martin are hiding-she just has to ...more
Shana Donahue
Jul 10, 2011 Shana Donahue rated it it was ok
I haven't been having the best luck with books lately. This one is no exception. I enjoyed it, but it felt like it took me forever to read. I want to say I started it sometime last month and just finished it this morning.

"Double Play" is the story of Pace Martin, ace pitcher for the Pacific Heat baseball team, and Holly Hutchins, a reporter/blogger for an online publication with a knack for ferreting out secrets. She is doing a series on the Heat and their winning season. Along the way, she star
Jan
Jan 31, 2011 Jan rated it liked it
A lovely sports romance (with a gorgeous cover!).

Holly was a nice heroine. She had some issues, but I really liked her honesty, both with herself as with Pace. I disliked Pace at first because I really hate it when character names are also words. I kept making silly puns about his pacing. When he came down from his BASEBALL IS EVERYTHING attitude I started to really like him however.

Both are just obviously good people, and they ended up having great chemistry.

I loved both their interaction with
Nisha
Jul 14, 2010 Nisha rated it really liked it
I guess I've been reading too many bad sports romance novels, because I came in with low expectation. I did drool over the cover, which happens to substitute for my lack of enthusiasm for baseball and a reporter heroine.

Holly is a reporter with a knack of getting secrets. One look at Pace, and she knows there's more than meets the eye. Pace plays pitcher for the Heat, a baseball team, but recently his shoulder has been acting up. Not only that, but a specific reporter (our heroine)next s has bee
Tina
Aug 06, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
Well I am continuing my summer of baseball reads. I find that as I am reading these books I am like an Olympica figure skating judge... I am rating on technical merits & artistic merits.

The artistic merits is the general storytelling, romance and writing. Basically the 'romance bookery' of it all.

The technical merit is based on how much the book incorporates actual baseball. Either via playing, lore, history or a real sense that I get that the writer isn't just using the sport only as an ex
Jac (For Love and Books)
Feb 12, 2014 Jac (For Love and Books) rated it really liked it
Yesterday I posted my review of book #2, Slow Heat - and since I read them backward

s, I’ll review them backwards too!

I love Jill Shalvis, she has a way of sucking you into a book and making you forget everything around you. She does just that with Pace and Holly! But another thing she does? She writes about relationships – and not just the romantic kind.

I’ve read a lot of books lately where the characters feel under-developed. Like I don’t really know them. But that’s not the case with Jill’s bo
  • Strike Zone (Richmond Rogues, #3)
  • Icebreaker (New York Blades, #8)
  • Line of Scrimmage
  • Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2)
  • Game for Anything (Bad Boys of Football, #1)
  • The Game of Love
  • Hot Stuff (Hot Zone, #1)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)

Look for Jill's latest, SWEET LITTLE LIES on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's website fo
More about Jill Shalvis...

Pacific Heat (2 books)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)

“When everyone just shook their heads, he unbuttoned his shirt and,
oh good Lord, shrugged out of it, bunching it up to slip beneath her
head like a pillow.
Don’t look at him, she told herself. Don’t look—
She looked.
Sweet Jesus.”
13 likes
“A thong. God bless the thong.
He hooked his fingers in the silk sides and tugged, rolling the silk
down her legs until it hit the floor, his favorite place for panties.”
9 likes