Start by marking “Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties” as Want to Read:
Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties

Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties

Almost any woman will tell you that her friendships with other women are among the most rewarding relationships she has. In this remarkable book, real-life girlfriends Carmen Renee Berry and Tamara Traeder explore the depths and complexities of women's relationships and the joy, sustenance, and power they bring. The ideal gift for special friends, Girlfriends celebrates th ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Council Oak Books (first published December 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Girlfriends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girlfriends

Erika
Nov 03, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it
A delightful collection of the ways in which we love our girlfriends, Invisible Bonds Enduring Ties is a book I hope every woman has the privilege to identify with. Authors Berry and Traeder capture the facets of how and why we love the women in our life and how they can impact our lives. From roommates to childhood friends, those next door to those across the world, women we speak to multiple times per day or once a year, weddings to cancer treatments, readers can smile reflecting on the ...more
Christine
Nov 06, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Good read
Tara
Dec 08, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
I liked this okay. In fact I would have given it 2.5 if that was an option, which I guess rounds up to 3.

What I liked: It gives a number of short anecdotes describing various aspects of friendship between women. While the anecdotes were mostly too short to be very meaningful, they made me reflect on a lot of my friendships in life, and that part I liked. Makes me want to record some of the thoughts it brought to mind in writing and maybe share with some of the friends that inspired them.

What I d
Jeanne
Jan 18, 2009 Jeanne rated it liked it
I got this book as a Christmas gift from my best friend. It was extremely sentimental to me to get a book about the strong bonds between friends, especially when she is leaving in two weeks. The book just made me look back on all the friendships I've had with various people. It tells stories of new friendships, forgiveness, betrayal, lasting friendships through marriage and kids, people who move far away but still remain close with that one special friend. It gave me some hope that no matter how ...more
Kimster
Nov 23, 2008 Kimster rated it liked it
A book about the whole experience of friendships. Why they last, what to do when they don't, how to be a better friend, and all other facets of friendship. I wrote a note in mine and gave it to a friend hoping it could be a pass around book but I don't think she ever read it and she returned it to me even after I told her to keep it and pass it on to someone else when she was done. I'm certain she never even opened the front cover. So it's been sitting on my shelf for 10 years. I'm taking it to ...more
Julie Barrett
Feb 03, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Girlfriends, invisible bonds by Carmen Renee Berry and Tamara Trader
Female friendships are vital to a woman's growth. Opinions and bonds throughout a woman's life, starting at childhood stage.
Lots of stories through tough times and fun times. Authors ask for your stories to maybe include in their next book.
Nancy Zorn
Feb 04, 2013 Nancy Zorn rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Received this book in a batch of hand-me-downs. I brought it with me on a trip I took to Bali with my girlfriend. It seemed appropriate. The book is filled with short stories about women, our life phases, and our ever present girlfriends. It was OK. Nothing earth shattering. I didn't feel compelled to keep it, so I passed it on to my girlfriend with the instructions that she, too, should pass it along. It's short. If a copy comes your way, it's worth a read.
Carol
May 18, 2015 Carol rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. It jumped from one pair of friends to another, giving only snippets of their relationships. I have the best of best girlfriends, am experiencing the joys of it and feel no need to read about that of others.

I would have liked to have read of more practical ways to develop more friendships like the one I have but this book did not deliver.
Maria Murray
Aug 09, 2009 Maria Murray rated it did not like it
I tried to give this book a chance...but couldn't get past page 40. There is only so much you can read about other people's friendships. And each is only a couple of paragraphs. It's not like even shore stories.
Lesley Looper
Oct 08, 2014 Lesley Looper rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book quite a while ago, my guess is nearly 20 years ago. I remember enjoying it well enough then, I could probably use a reread of it, considering how I'm in a different stage in my life now, but there are so many other books waiting to be read!
Margaret
Mar 23, 2008 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I didn't like this book. It was a collection of stories, etc., but not very engaging in my opinion. I found myself reading the words, but really getting nothing out of the stories at all.
Christina
Apr 02, 2012 Christina marked it as stopped-reading
just reading this to torture myself and hopefully give me some clue as to how to make close friends. found it at the thrift store calling out to me.
Shilo
Jun 02, 2009 Shilo rated it liked it
What a fun book to read! It gave me a chance to ponder my own friendships. What a fun thing to do: remember and appreciate our friends!!
Mary
Jun 27, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good read.
Recommended to Mary by: my best friend
My best friend gave me this book for Christmas. I really enjoyed the book. I could identify with a lot of the women in the book.
Dale
Apr 01, 2011 Dale rated it liked it
Shelves: relationships
This was a quick read. Although I did not learn one new thing, it validated what I already know and treasure about my girlfriends.
Laura Lee
Jun 11, 2012 Laura Lee rated it it was ok
There was a few good parts but nothing exciting or particularly inspiring. Old book sitting on my shelf that I thought I better finish.
Krista
Sep 30, 2014 Krista rated it liked it
Cute gift for a friend. Me & my friends are mentioned in here by one of our mothers. Huge sentimental value in that!
Dawn
Jun 01, 2011 Dawn marked it as books-i-could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
This just was not holding my interest right now. I'm ahead of schedule on books I've read for the year, so I don't feel like slowing my momentum down with a book that is not entertaining me.
Melissa Bee
Jan 16, 2013 Melissa Bee rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised. It was an enjoyable read and make me take a look at my life and "girlfriends". I was a bit saddened when I reflected on the quality of "girlfriends" I've had and been.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Antonella Tezza
Antonella Tezza rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2014
missHT
missHT rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
zhen^^
zhen^^ rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2009
Angel
Angel rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Patty
Jan 15, 2009 Patty rated it it was amazing
That girlfriends are so important in my life,,,,,especially when I grew up without a sister.
Patty
Patty rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Babs
Babs rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2007
Johnnie
Johnnie rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2010
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • Open Your Mind to Prosperity
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
  • Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating: How to Choose the Best Bread, Cheeses, Olive Oil, Pasta, Chocolate, and Much More
  • Perfect Weight: The Complete Mind-Body Program for Achieving and Maintaining Your Ideal Weight
  • The Courage to be Rich