The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)

The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  41,725 ratings  ·  995 reviews
As Clive Barker says in his Introduction, ". . . there is a wonderful willful quality to this mix . . .slapstick comedy, mystical musings, and the grimmest collection of serial killers this side of Death Row." Eighth printing. Graphic novel format. Mature readers.
Published October 19th 2010 by Turtleback Books (first published June 1st 1989)

Andrew
Aug 29, 2007 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I used to stubbornly think that graphic novels had no intellectual merits other than for amateur entertainment (I know, pedestal). This series not only blew me away visually, but caused me to see graphic novels in a new light. Everyone should read this series.

Here's what i want to say, but someone else said it first and better than i could:
"Erudite, allusive, complex and ambitious, SANDMAN is undoubtedly the finest writing the mainstream comic book industry has ever seen. It dares to tell the st...more
Brad
One of my favourite lines in film is from Bull Durham. Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) asks Millie how the sex was with Ebby Calvin LaLoosh (Tim Robbins), and Millie says, "He kind of fucks like he throws, sorta all over the place." And that is EXACTLY how Neil Gaiman writes.

He has mad creative talent. There is no denying it. But too often that talent is uncontrolled, chaotic and even bafflingly silly. The Doll's House, written back when he was just becoming Neil Gaiman (and probably had editors f...more
Patrick
Note: This is part two of a rambling multi-volume re-read of the series. It will probably make better sense in context of other reviews...

In this volume, we get several cool stand-alone stories and our first longer story arc with a non-sandman character. It's good stuff. Clever and fun and smart. Everything you'd expect from Gaiman.

When I first read it, it wowed me. It was cool and real and mythic all at once.

Reading it now, I look back on my first-read-through self and smile fondly, thinking...more
Algernon

short review : WOW !!!

long form : The Sandman series gains in confidence and daring, leaves behind most of the influences from the original DC comic and takes flight on its own with the second volume. The eight issue story arc opens with Tales in the Sand : a look at the distant past of the Endless entity known as Dream. Like one of the Greek gods, he falls in love with a mortal - Nada, the queen of a prosperous African tribe. Their union is doomed, and all that remains is a cautionary tale ab...more
Anthony Chavez
Right now that this is currently my favorite Sandman book (Mind you this is only the 2nd volume). I read volume one "Preludes & Nocturnes" and liked it, but the beginning was a little slow and didn't grab me right away. That cannot be said for "The Doll's House," this volume hooked me from page one, and it didn't let up, I wanted to devour every page. Even when there is a side story in the middle of the book, I was still fascinated by the tale because I knew, Gaiman is going to make this awe...more
Airiz C
While Morpheus starred in the forefront in Preludes and Nocturnes, he takes a backseat in The Doll’s House. Here, mortals—the Walkers—fueled the story.

The Doll’s House treads on the similar path as Preludes and Nocturnes. In the first volume, Morpheus has to find important talismans; in the second volume Morpheus has to seek for dreams that have escaped his realm and morphed into human forms in the wake of the chaotic events in P&N. We get introduced to Rose Walker, a dream vortex that was f...more
Jesse
Well, I must say right now that this is currently my favorite Sandman book. I read Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturns and really liked it, but there is a part in the middle of it that just didn't grab me. That cannot be said for "The Doll's House". I was hooked from page one, and only got more drawn into the book as it went. Even when there is a side story in the middle of the book, I was still fascinated by the tale. In fact I would say my favorite part of the book is the side story in the middle....more
Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. As good as Preludes and Nocturnes was, it is in this second volume of the Sandman series that both the character and the evolving storyline comes into its own. After over a century of imprisonment, Morpheus returns to his realm to find Dreamland in disarray and proceeds to get things back in order. Gaiman continues his high level storytelling and we get to learn more about Sandman's siblings, the Endless. Great, great stuff.
Anne
2.5 stars...possibly 3?

I had forgotten why I stopped after volume 1.
Now I remember.
I see why everyone loves and reveres this title, I really do. It's just not my cuppa. It's just too dark and trippy for me, and the art isn't something that I actually enjoy looking at.
I'm not saying it's awful...I just don't like it!
I really wish I could say that I got all the deep introspective stuff that Gaiman was saying, but...
Truth?
I'm a few tiny steps away from being completely shallow and silly.
Especially...more
Teresa
Much tighter than the first volume, with better storylines and some referential explanation of earlier events. Even the expected gore of certain sections, though it made me cringe, was well-done: social commentary is its purpose. I'm hoping certain characters (not the serial killers!) make reappearances in later volumes. The inventive story had me paging backwards, the ending reflecting back to the beginning, something I always love.
Alejandro
In the first volumen, Neil Gaiman was introducing the Sandman, his new Sandman, but still was attached to the realms of regular DC Universe if you want to think, hardly you can feel it yet as inmersed in the true Vertigo realm. I commented this since you have the new Sandman, and he gets along with some characters that are from the vein of Vertigo, but also you get much of the regular DC Universe. Not a bad thing but the real Sandman works better in a total Vertigo realm. Here, in the second vol...more
Ronyell
6 stars!!!

After reading Neil Gaiman’s first graphic novel in the “Sandman” series “Preludes and Nocturnes,” I just had to read more from this fantastic series and lo and behold, I have just picked up the second volume of the “Sandman” series, “The Doll’s House!” “The Doll’s House” is just as dark and gritty as the first volume and this will be a volume that fans will cherished for many years!

After the events of “Preludes and Nocturnes,” Dream (known as “The Sandman” or Morpheus) goes back and t...more
Rauf
After reading Doll's House I know that I:

1. Should never fall in love with an Endless.

Who are the Endless?
They're 7 siblings with insurmountable power that have been around since before the dawn of time; Destiny. Death. Dream. Destruction. Desire. Despair. Delirium (she used to be Delight).

2. I now know Desire will always make you miserable.

3. I also know the original tale about the Little Red Riding Hood did not involve red riding hood or a happy ending.

4. When an Endless took part in an immac...more
Hollis
I didn't like this as much as the first one, although it was still good. In the introduction, Clive Barker says that Gaiman assembles the Sandman stories like a ''demented cook'', throwing everything together and hoping that it sticks. That works sometimes: with this one, I just felt that Gaiman had stumbled several times into incoherence and wasn't keeping things together.

Also: am I the only person who noticed this? About two-thirds of the way through the story the only Chinese person in the co...more
Arielle Walker
Even darker and more twisted than the first, if that's possible, with interconnecting storylines that really pull you into the Sandman's world. Rose is an interesting character, and I hope that she makes more appearances in the next volumes. The "Convention of Collectors" was disgusting, perfectly so, and the Corinthian was the best part - although when I say "best", I really mean most terrifiying, but is that not the same thing here? There were more brilliant evil characters on one pag...more
El
Great fun to be had in the second volume. During Dream's incarceration (see the first volume), three dreams got free into the real world and this edition is alls about Dream hunting them down. There's a bad-ass showdown at the strangest convention of collectors you ever did see, rivaling the excitement and weirdness of the first volume's fantastic diner massacre scene.

Yeah, I shouldn't be into it as much as I am.

More fantastic artistry in these pages, love love love Dave McKean's cover work (mar...more
JSA Lowe
Aw, Chaucer! And Kit Marlowe! And far too much serial killing. On to the next—
JL Torres
The world emerges stranger and far more mysterious, and the solid, familiar reality appears paper thin and not so familiar at all everytime I read a volume of Sandman. 'There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet, and what is dreamt by Neil Gaiman in The Sandman involving the panoply of worlds of the Endless, myths, gods, metaphysical hierarchies, magical beings, occult and biblical references, historical reinterpretatio...more
Paul Nelson
First issue kicks off with Dream falling in love with a mortal queen named Nada; and she also falls in love with him. Dream is one of the Endless and Nada knows that they can never be together and she refuses to marry him, Dream sentences Nada to hell and her kingdom is ruined. This is one of several stories within the main story, each taking you into Dreams head a little at a time.

The main story thread starts in the second issue with a girl Rose Walker, who is the granddaughter of Unity Kincaid...more
annik
the sandman #9-16

Вернувшись в Царство Снов, Морфей обнаруживает, что некоторые подданные успели сбежать за время его заключения. Плюс к этому появляется вихрь сна – человек, который ненароком наносит миру снов непоправимый ущерб.
Нас немного знакомят с родней Морфея, что только выгодно оттеняет его няшность. Небольшой пролог, рассказывающий об обреченной любви вечного-бесконечного к смертной незатейлив и трагичен.

Второстепенные персонажи тут однозначно рулят. Чего только стоит один Коринфянин – у...more
Idea Smith
Evan Leach
The Doll’s House, the second collection in the Sandman series, builds off the foundation laid in Preludes and Nocturnes and tells a fresh, creative, and disturbing story. The collection contains eight issues: two largely stand-alone and six that tell a larger story. Both stand-alone issues are very strong; the first describing one of Dream’s old love affairs, and the second showing the consequences of Dream granting a mortal eternal life.

But the longer story arc is definitely the star of the sho...more
Halik
In the second installment of Gaiman's superb Sandman series, he continues to explore the intersection of reality and fantasy, challenging notions of 'certainty' and exposing them to mere constructs of our perception.

Morpheus, the king of the dream world, discovers that four of his subjects have disappeared during his incarceration. 3 of them are evil and one good. Out of them The Corinthian i found the most chilling. After his escape from the dreamworld, for forty years he has been roaming the l...more
Marfita
This falls into that category of Wow, Good But Don't Make Me Read It Again. I'm familiar with "Der Sandman" by E. T. A. Hoffmann but I took a chance on this book anyway. O Weh's mir!
This was a bit gruesome for me and I'm sorta glad it normally hides in the Adult Graphic Novels because "graphic" really describes it. Okay, you have to use a bit of your imagination to finish the picture, but ...
I'd like to know if stories like this satisfy the reptilian part of our brain and when order is restore...more
Keely
Like most of these collections, there are several fairly strong stories but one which stands above the others. In this second installation, it is the convention of serial killers where Gaiman is able to tap into his sense of human nature and draw out something that is funny, terrifying, and well-written. Often, his archetypal main characters cannot hold a candle to the depth and complexity of the small throwaways such as Gaiman creates here.

Perhaps he is afraid of alienating the reader, and henc...more
Alex Ristea
This was a huge shift from the last one, for me. Something just didn't click, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the previous.

However, it did add a bit more depth to Morpheus's character—even humanizing him a little and drawing me tighter into the story.

Excited to continue this weekly read with Tor.com
Ryan Dejonghe
Okay, now I see why this graphic novel series is also categorized as horror. We left off from the last book after a group of cult-like people tried capturing Death, but caught his brother the maker of dreams instead. The Sandman (thus the title of the book) is trying to recoup the power and territory he lost while he was captured. Things rung amok when pieces of the dream lord’s power are being wielded by earthly mortals. Nightmares ensue.

In my review of Volume 1, I lauded Gaiman for his creati...more
Cherie
Okay - I gave it another try. I may have liked this second volume just a little bit more than I liked the first one, but I really don't get it. I can't figure out the reason why this volume is called The Doll's House, when it had nothing to do with the story. Also, what gives with the really ugly doll's head on the cover?

I think I understood most of the story lines and even 'got' some of the references to things in the first volume, but I really did not like them all that much. I'm glad Rose di...more
Samrat
I recently created a shelf I call duuude, long form title: duuuuuuuuude, do I even need to tell you how fucked up you're being? So, while I find myself really, really loving many portions of the Sandman series... they also contain so much problematic shit. This was the first volume I really enjoyed and the first one that super squicked me.

Here follows my review, story by story, incomplete and subjective, by design, as always:

(view spoiler)...more
Ekairidium
Following the promising premise of Preludes and Nocturnes, this second volume became one of my favorite installments.

I believe this is the book of The Sandman series that captured not only my heart but my imagination in varying ways I did not expect it could. This is also the first time that Gaiman explored the vitality and freshness of his material and the result was a provocative examination of the unconscious and often catastrophic desires of human beings that are caught up in fulfilling su...more
  • Lucifer, Vol. 5: Inferno
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 8: Dirge (Transmetropolitan, #8)
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons (Fables, #5)
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere Stardust

“For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.” 144 likes
“Love belongs to Desire. And Desire is always Cruel. -Old Man” 56 likes