Start by marking “Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed” as Want to Read:
Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed

Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  399 ratings  ·  102 reviews
The happiest day of Wink?s life was when he was accepted to the Summer Moon School for Young Ninjas. He is sure that he will be a great ninja. Silence is the fi rst lesson and everyone is very very silent . . . except for Wink. Stealth is the second lesson and everyone is very very stealthy . . . except for Wink. Finally, Wink decides that he will be silent and stealthy. B ...more
Published March 19th 2009 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Wink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wink

Kathryn
When I started reading this, I rolled my eyes. It seemed, for lack of a better word, cheesy. But I warmed up to Wink and his plight and cheered for the ending. The story is a fun look at the fact that we should celebrate our own natures and talents rather than trying to be something we are not.
Arminzerella
Tyler Jones
Not only a great children's book, but a book the illustrates an important part of human psychology, and another example of how reading fine literature will make you a better poker player!

Wink is very excited to have been accepted to the Summer Moon School for Ninjas - he can't wait to show everyone what a great ninja he is! But it becomes apparent Winks' desire for recognition is a problem. Master Zutsu tries to teach Wink with wise sayings such as "The flower that flaunts its colours is the fi
Amos Kitani
As an infant who has experience less time outside the womb than inside, I always assume that adults (and these books of theirs) are more knowledgable about the world than I. J.C. Phillips causes me to doubt that fundamental premise.

Phillips learned karate in high school and has a masters in theater education. Drawing upon those experiences and some haphazardly accrued information about East Asian cultures, she has crafted a culturally clumsy, albeit artfully illustrated, story of a ninja who wan
earthy
I kind of love this book to pieces. ^_^

Wink is excited to be admitted into ninja school, but his penchant for making himself the center of attention puts him at odds with his instructor. How can Wink show that he’s learned his ninja skills but also share his excitement and enthusiasm?

The gorgeous cut-out paper collages include bright colors, Asian brocade patterns, and realistic textures for the streets and greenery. The characters, particularly the ninja students, are shown in dynamic, active p
Beth Cato
Ah, Wink. This is currently one of my son's very favorite books, and we've been reading it four days a week for many weeks now. In all, it's a simple story. Boy wants to be a ninja, and possesses the talents to e one. However, he can't be stealthy. He loves to perform. However, when his talents are discovered by a visiting circus, Wink finds a place where he truly belongs--performing ninjitsu for a crowd wearing a glittering outfit.

Some people will probably say this book encourages kids to misbe
Kaela Ewing
This book is written by an author who does not identify with Asian culture. Although this may be true, J.C. Phillipps knows a little about Asian culture because she is a Martial Artist. Wink is accepted into ninja school, but does not seem to fit the criteria of a perfect ninja: stealthy, silent, and strong. Wink does not know how to be silent and seeks attention, which displeases Master Zutsu. He is angry with Wink, which is evident in his disapproving facial expressions. While the other ninjas ...more
Melanie
I'm torn about this book. On one hand, it's perfectly normal for kids to desire attention, and in most cases, to demand it. But this book encourages kids to demand attention, and that gets old really quick. Finding an outlet is one thing, but the child could also be told that he is not the center of the universe 24/7.
Anna Zbacnik
After reading my k-2 kids learned some Ninja moves with this silly song and dance:

Daklink
Wink is very excited to have been accepted to the Summer Moon School for Ninjas and he can't wait to show everyone what a great ninja he is.However, it becomes apparent Winks' desire for recognition is a problem. I love this quote from the book that says,as "The flower that flaunts its colours is the first to be plucked!" This quote shows winks mindset at ninja school. He wanted to be the center of attention and constantly be noticed for what a great ninja he thought he was. He was told all the ...more
Jennv716
Jun 01, 2014 Jennv716 added it
Recommends it for: Parents and students
I loved this book. I have several "Wink's" in my First Grade classroom and 1 at home. I love how he finally found some peeps that understood him. We all need these kind of people in our lives!
Kendra
Mary Sesar
This book was definitely a joy to read. The illustrations were funny and done well. Wink was so excited to be a ninja that he never stayed focus and did what the instructor told him to do and was sent home numerous times. In the end wink found the right place in a circus. He was a big hit! The crowd loved him and thought all his tricks were amazing. This can be used to teach children that there are consequences when they aren't listening. It can also be used to teach children that just because ...more
Anna
I <3 this flamboyant Ninja!

Wink is ecstatic to be starting Ninja School, but what does it take to be a great ninja? Good balance - check. Colorful costumes - check. Enthusiasm - check. Unfortunately, this is not what Master Zutsu is looking for. How can Wink be a good ninja and still be himself?

This is an endearing story, and although it has been told many times before, the characters, setting, and illustrations make it funny and fresh. The cut paper art really takes my love for this picture
Ubalstecha
Wink is training to be a ninja, and he wants to be the best ninja he can, but there's a problem. Wink also wants everyone else to notice how good a ninja he is. This leads to Wink doing things like making a new set of ninja clothes from his grandmother's colourful curtains and calling out when he has made a particularly successful stalking.

This behaviour does not go over well with the ninja master, who kicks Wink out of his academy. Wink's heart is broken, until he meets a family of circus pref
Magila
4.5

This was a super fun book with a mix of art that reminds you of Japanese paper and origami. Little ninja lovers will find this book irresistible. The characters are memorable and the story is quick with fun writing.

In the end, from the perspective of teaching kids something worthwhile, I sort of wish the book ended differently. It's more of a quibble than a major complaint, since it ended with such a nice message anyway. Just different than I initially hoped for.

For kids that are just a li
Dotty
Be yourself and don't let others change you. Find your role in this world.
Ingrid
Here are the things I love about this book: the paper-cut illustrations, the lack of violence, the presence of ninja, the personality of Wink, and the New Moon School for Young Ninjas. I also really liked the Confucian-like saying of Master Zutsu. Here is what I do not like: the story lacks excitement. Still cute, with a good message, but I think a book about a ninja should have a little more action. Having said that, both my boys (4&5) really liked it. I tried this in Story Time and it did ...more
Lauren White
good for grades prek-2
Jenna
Poor Wink. He wants to be a ninja so bad. He is finally accepted into the Ninja Academy and he is thrilled. The only problem is he is too loud, can't hide properly, and is always getting in trouble. Wink begins to think he can never be a ninja, but finds his place in a most unexpected way.

Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed is perfect for that student who is having trouble fitting in with the class. This story shows children there is a place where they can shine.
Dylan & Belle at LearnPlayFun
This book had Dylan trying to read as quickly as possible, so he could turn the pages faster and get to the next part of the story. When Wink's grandmother received the tickets to the circus, Dylan laughed out loud.

Here are Dylan's thoughts on this book, in his own words:

I liked how he balanced on the bamboo. A ninja who didn't concentrate, and how he went into the circus. He couldn't stay quiet. He liked performing.

About the artwork: I liked how they made a collage.
Gwen the Librarian
Wink is in ninja school where he is supposed to learn to be silent and stealthy. No one is supposed to see a ninja - but if no one can see him, how can anyone know what a great ninja Wink can be? Wink loves attention! Every day Wink is sent home from ninja school to his grandmother who tries to cheer him up. Then the circus comes to town and there is a slightly predictable ending. That's okay - this is a really fun story that will fill a niche with boys and girls alike.
Shelby Troutman
This children's picture book was about a young boy named Wink who dreamed of being a Ninja. In the beginning of the book Wink is accepted to Ninja school and begins to learn techniques. As the book continues we see Wink struggle to master the techniques at the time the instructor wants. He finally learns that he can achieve his goal of being noticed by being himself. He uses the techniques he gains from Ninja school to join the circus and become the star!
Jenilyn Willis
This was a cute story with a good message. It's about a little boy who wants to be a ninja, but just doesn't seem to fit in with all the other ninjas. It teaches children that even if you don't feel like you fit in where you are, it doesn't mean that you don't fit in anywhere. Each child has their own special abilities that make them unique, and there is a place for everyone in every classroom and in the world; it's just a matter of figuring out where you belong.
Meredith
Despite his considerable talent, Wink’s colorful personality and need for attention jeopardizes his standing at Summer Moon School for Young Ninjas. Wink suffers a great deal of heartache over his inability to embrace stealth until he discovers a career that combines all a ninja’s martial art skills with flashy showmanship.

A cute picture book illustrated with cut-paper collages, perfectly suited for boys.
Sarah Zimmer
This story is about Wink, a boy who wants to become a Ninja so more people will notice him. However, throughout the book, he is having problems mastering the techniques and eventually realizes that he can be noticed just by being himself. This is a great book to read to children who are having trouble trying to find their own path in life and it shows them that being themselves is the best thing they can do.
Maria
Wink is goes to Ninja school, but it is TOO hard to be quiet, to sneak and to not have anyone paying attention to him.

Why I picked it up: For "W" Story time with all the boys who are coming.

Why I finished it: I loved Wink and I know that my boys will relate to his problems of being quiet. Plus the paper cut illustrations are wonderful.

Who I would recommend it to: Beth who has little ninjas of her own.
Megan
Wink is a young Ninja who just wants to prove to his teacher that he is a good ninja, but when he is being stealthy and blending into his surroundings no one notices him, and he wants to be noticed. After being kicked out of ninja school he joins the circus to show off his talents. This book is funny and shows kids that just because you might fail at one thing doesn't mean you won't succeed.
Jessica
I think this book is super cute! It's basically about a little boy, wink, who wants to be a ninja really bad. He finally gets accepted, but can't seem to follow all of the rules correctly. It's a great book to share with children explaining that it's okay if you're not perfect. It'll give students who feel like they don't belong an inspiration to just be who they are.
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • The Book That Eats People
  • One Green Apple
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • Good Luck Bear
  • Robot Zot!
  • Have I Got a Book for You!
  • Are You A Horse?
  • Timothy and the Strong Pajamas
  • The Great Paper Caper
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
Julie (J. C.) Phillipps is a born and raised Ohio girl who lives in New England. If you have a very good ear, you can still catch a little Midwestern accent. Although she has learned to say "soda" instead of "pop" and "sneakers" instead of "tennis shoes," she still thinks of the tiny candy on top of cupcakes as "sprinkles." "Jimmies" is just weird.

Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted To Be Noticed was Julie
More about J.C. Phillipps...
Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to Nap Monkey Ono The Simples Love a Picnic