Start by marking “Fidelity” as Want to Read:
Fidelity

Fidelity

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  692 ratings  ·  100 reviews
Murder, money, and marriage pack a triple treat in this absorbing, character-driven crime novel from Thomas Perry.

When Los Angeles P.I. Phil Kramer is shot dead on a deserted suburban street in the middle of the night, his wife, Emily, is left with an emptied bank account and a lot of questions. How could Phil leave her penniless? What was he going to do with the money? An
Published June 4th 2009 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fidelity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fidelity

Nette
Oh, I love Thomas Perry, he's such a good writer and his books move like bullet trains. But he seriously scares me. Many of his books feature professional hit men, and this guy knows WAY too much about the details of being a hit man. I'm convinced it's first-hand knowledge. Plus, according to the book jackets, he lives here in Southern California. He could be watching my house right now -- not directly in front, where he might be seen, but up by the corner in a nondescript sedan in a neutral col ...more
Eric_W

Phil Kramer is shot dead on the street. Emily, his wife, soon learns that Phil had cleaned out their bank accounts, including that of the agency. She resolves to keep the agency going not just to bring in some cash, but also to use its operatives, especially to f
Erika
Book started really slow but it was worth sticking to finish it. Really liked the end of it.
Tony
Perry, Thomas. FIDELITY. (2008). ***. Phil Kramer, the owner of the Kramer Detective Agency, is shot dead on a deserted street in L.A. His wife, when she learns of his killing, tries to get back into the agency, as she had done years ago when they were first married, but finds that all of the company’s and their personal bank accounts had been emptied. Both she and the agency were broke. She gathers the rest of the detectives together and lets them know the score. They agree to stay together whi ...more
Zakariah Johnson
Thomas Perry writes high-concept thrillers that are always about far more than who-done-it or why. The Whys? go way beyond the questions of trivial motives--like money, sex, and...well, that covers most motives--and instead get to questions of the deep-rooted, character-driven decisions and outcomes. The title of this book is exactly the concept that is covered--Fidelity. What is it, how does it manifest itself, and who has the depth of character to be true in ways that offer themselves up only ...more
Eric_W
Who's the Most Fidel of them All Thomas Perry has another winner. Started listening to this book intending to mow on the paths through the fields (about 60 minutes) and wound up finishing additional acreage. To those who say it's formulaic, I reply what a great formula.

Josh
Phil Kramer, a private detective with his own agency is gunned down at night on an abandoned street. There are no witnesses, his investigators don't know what case he was working on, and his wife is in the dark.

Phil's wife utilises the private investigators at her disposal in an attempt to solve her husbands murder but as she digs into Phil's past she uncovers truths about her marriage she was ill prepared for.

The thing I most admired about FIDELITY was author Thomas Perry's ability to connect
Bill Lancaster
A quickly-paced novel by mystery/thriller author Thomas Perry, this is the story of Emily Kramer, whose husband, private detective Phil Kramer, is murdered one night on a quiet street in the San Fernando Valley. Why he was murdered is what Emily aims to find out. As does his murderer, Jerry Hobart, a hired assassin.

This is largely a novel of secrets, of what is not being revealed. There are secrets (infidelities) between Emily and her husband Phil, between Jerry Hobart and his employer, a wealt
Angela
I wish I could remember where I ran across this book or why it's been on my "to read" list for three years, which is frankly the only reason I can think of why I'd ever pick it up. Generally I avoid the mystery-suspense-thriller genre because they tend to be variations on the same ten stories and rife with predictable tropes, stereotypical characters, and absolutely painful writing, especially the dialogue.

Fidelity was great fun, though, and after the first couple of chapters I didn't want to pu
Stephanie
It's vacation, or I probably would not have kept on with this one. It is sort of like the movie "Raising Arizona" - I didn't want to finish it but sort of HAD to know what happened...so there is this PI who is murdered and his wife learns of it but has no clue (literally) why...but the story unfolds, and it is just creepy. I couldn't get the geography straight - like how could Forrest get all the way to see his "lover" and then take her back to work and then get back in time to see the guests le ...more
Shonna Froebel
Emily Kramer's world is falling out from under her. First, her husband, owner and principal of a detective agency, is shot dead on a residential street in the middle of the night. Then she finds that their bank accounts have been left practically empty. She feels she doesn't know who her husband was anymore.
Jerry Hobart was hired to kill Phil Kramer and did so. Now he's been hired to kill Emily, but he figures there must be an interesting reason behind the job and grows curious.
Emily is also str
Ellen
Fidelity is an odd little sandwich of a book, with tasty beginning and ending chapters surrounding a stodgy middle.

When P.I. Phil Kramer is shot dead, his widow Emily tries to uncover the secret that got him killed. Unfortunately for her, so does the hit man who killed him. Just about the time things get so scary that I wanted to turn to the last page to see whether she survives, Perry dials it back, spending far too many pages on the backgrounds of the hit man (a mildly interesting but ultimat
comfort
I was drawn into this book almost with the first sentence.

A Private Detective goes missing, his body is quickly found. It is up to his wife and the rest of the colleagues from the PI agency to find out what happened. I know this sounds fairly standard, but it is riveting.

This man has depleted their savings and cleaned out the security box in the bank, all without her knowing. There is evidence he has a lover/lovers and that he is hiding a big secret which a hitman is trying to find.

A rich, power
Carol Edwards
Jun 20, 2008 Carol Edwards rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes thrillers
I'm a Thomas Perry fan so I read everything he publishes, current-wise. I don't care for his earlier stuff, esp. `Big Fish' and `Island'. He gets a little silly in them. Nothing like the seriousness of what he writes now. He is one of those contemporary writers who don't draw such a fine line between heroes and villains like Lawrence Block and his hit man Keller series. In this book there is a heroine, and a villain who has killed her husband. Perry follows both of them and their actions and emo ...more
Kathy
A good thriller. Things are NOT as they seem. Even though fidelity was definitely an issue, I had sympathy for Phil Kramer at the end of the book.
Donna
Great news for you, lousy news for me. I have read this book before, and it is a real page-turner. In point of fact, if I had just taken the time to read the first two pages before dropping it into my shopping bag on my annual pilgrimage to Powell's City of Books, I would have instantly realized my mistake. I've probably read five hundred books since I read this one, but it is such an unmistakable heart-pounding adrenaline trip of a story that I remembered it right away once I began reading it o ...more
Doug Cummings
Not as thrilling as most of Perry's work, this one features a sort of lackluster protagonist and a smarmy subplot involving sex with underage teens. I enjoyed reading the killer's POV far more than the cheated on wife's and the resolution was sort of ho-hum and expected. I am, however, thrilled to note that he is bringing Jane Whitefield back early next year. He is at his best with a chase novel and the Whitefield books were classics. This one, though it involved a chase, also involved more than ...more
Susen
Just when you think it's over...it's not over. It twists until the end.
Carolyn
It has been said of Thomas Perry that he repeatedly uses the same characters in his novels, people with hard edges, who are exceptionally skillful in their area of expertise and often extremely confused by their assumptions. But I like how clever and yet foolish they are and enjoy seeing that those who win out in the end are not angels but nowhere near as vile and evil as those they conquer. Always interesting twists and turns leading to a satisfying conclusion. Plus, Michael Kramer's voice is m ...more
Derk
Several years ago I read all of the Perry books in our local library and enjoyed them. Recently I looked to see if there were any new ones. There was one, and another older one (this one) that I didn't immediately remember reading. Alas, as I read it I realized I had and remembered just enough to take the edge off of the read. Still, it was well done. One of the Bad guys actually carried the book, while the rest were rather predictable.I look forward to reading the new one.
Cjfranklin
Loved it. Good to the very last word!!!

Carl
Saw this on the "new" shelf at our little branch library, so decided to pick it up, as I recalled enjoying his early "hit man" books, Metzger's Dog and Butcher's Boy. Perhaps no more realistic than his popular Jane Whitefield series (of which I tired after 2), they're well plotted and thus good reads for beach or airport. Not much more than good plot. Seems I liked the earlier ones better, but it's been a long time and they don't really stick in your mind.
Louise
This was my first Thomas Perry book; I can't say I would go out of my way to read or listen to another one. I certainly wouldn't pay money to do so. The story had a lot of potential but in the end, it was just too bloated with characters speculating on how another character felt, what they saw, how an event might play out or did play out. The ending was less than predictable, it just trailed off to the last word of the last paragraph.
Paul
Not the best book by Thomas Perry, but even his not-so-good books are really really great. I had trouble putting this one down to go to sleep. (Then I had trouble sleeping...)

The theme, like the title, is "Fidelity". The contract killer, the contractor, the widow, the business partners, the killer's girlfriend...who shows fidelity, and to whom do they show it? A complex tale from a master story-teller.
Corny
Jun 17, 2008 Corny rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: thrillers
Thomas Perry who used to be one of my favorite authors with Big Boy and Metzger's Dog and then the Jane Whitefield series has stumbled badly. This preposterous overwritten story is so full of flaws that one cannot suspend disbelief and just glory in the adventure. The characters do inexplicable things, react in crazy ways. The whole premise is insupportable. I look forward to Perry's next book which is a new Jane Whitefield.
Jean
Not as strong as prior Perry work; but still highly readable and enjoyable. Perry creates a tenacious, tough and moral heroine you have to root for through out the book. Emily has to unravel the secrets of her dead husband's last few months to find his killer. There is a twisted villain and a hit man that is lovelorn! Perry creates complex characters and his plots are full of surprises.
Joan Brown
i like perry, and i liked this perry. he's a good story teller. will i be able to tell this from others of his and other writers i've read? probably not. but they are all good mind candy,great for planes and/or beaches. i'm really happy to learn he's got a new jane whitefield book coming out in january. those are my very favorites, and it's been 8 or 9 years since he's written one.
Miranda
This was my first my Thomas Perry and I found it gripping. I finished it in a couple of days. I guessed what was happening about 2/3rds through but there were enough twists to make me keep reading.
Thirosha
After the death of her husband (Phil Kramer), Emily is surrounded by the mystery of her husband's work, the same work that cost his life. The story tell how Emily and Phil's fellow investigator friends gone through all the troubles to solves the mystery of Phil's death.

But, the ending was a little disappointing as the solving mystery was pretty well narrated.
Lis
I got halfway into this book and decided I didn't like the main character, didn't find the bad guy particularly interesting, and honestly didn't care what the solution to the central mystery was - not even to the point of bothering to flip through and read the end. I really loved Perry's earlier books, but this one just didn't work for me.
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • The Burning Man
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • Messiah
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • Nerve Damage
  • The Goat-Ripper Case (Sonoma Knight PI, #1)
  • Furnace
  • Among Thieves
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • Critical Judgment
  • Night Work
  • Die Twice (David Trevellyan, #2)
  • The Hanged Man's Song (Kidd & LuEllen, #4)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • Black Orchid
  • Capitol Betrayal: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #18)
  • Nightscape
Thomas Perry was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and a writer and producer of prime time network television shows. He lives in Southern California with his wife ...more
More about Thomas Perry...
Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1) The Butcher's Boy (Butcher's Boy, #1) Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2) Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3) The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4)