Start by marking “Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House, #40)” as Want to Read:
Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House, #40)

Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House #40)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,549 ratings  ·  105 reviews
JACK AND ANNIE continue their quest for the secrets of happiness—secrets they need to save Merlin. This time, the Magic Tree House takes them to the one continent they haven’t visited before: Antarctica! What can they hope to learn about happiness in such a barren place? Only the penguins know for sure . . . Jack and Annie are about to find out!

From the Hardcover edition.
Published December 8th 2009 by Random House (first published 2008)

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
I love this! Penguins are so cute~ Especially Emperor Penguins! Jack and Annie traveled to Antarctica and brought a baby penguin named Penny to give to Merlin as one of the secrets of happiness.
midnightfaerie
My 6 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. Many of these are educational as well, focusing on a particular point in history such as a president's reign, or a location, like Ireland in this one, which goes really well with his geography and history lessons. He's loving it, and already ...more
Marco De La Rosa
This story is about when Jack and Annie go on another mission to help Merlin fell happy again because he won't eat, sleep, drink,or even talk. So Morgan Le Fay sends them on this mission to the antartic to go find something really special just for him.So as the magic tree house transported them to the cold lands, they wondered were are the animals or people? It was a quiet, windy,chilly,cold,frosty,snowy, icey and deep freezing. They really wondered what are they going to find all the way in the ...more
Lisa
Here's our swan song to Winter (sniff, sniff). This one was particularly funny. The kids were cracking up over this one. And I learned a lot about Antarctica while I was reading this to the kids. I love that about this series. After we finish one of these and the kids go to bed, I always end up googling stuff I learned from the book :) This one brought on a long google search :) and p.s., I love penguins :)
Brandyn
What I like about the Emperor Penguin is that Jack and Annie found a baby orphan penguin. She was just born, and her parents got lost in the storm. Marilyn was sick and the little penguin wanted to help them. It was the 4th secret that they were going to give Marilyn. Marilyn got a note, and then another note, and then a seashell. Jack and Annie were both confused because they couldn't figure out what incident crown meant. And, it was kind of funny when Jack and Annie were pretending to be grown ...more
Dree
Same old same old. Mediocre plot and now (being that this is #40) very predictable. But my 6 yo enjoyed it, of course.
Tate
Nathaniel
I liked it. Annie takes a lot of pictures, and all the pictures disappear when they come home and it's because she took them on a magic mission. They're at the top of a volcano and they go walking. They fall into a hole and they land on some ice. They start to move and the ice cracks so they hold very still. Then they pull out the wand of truth. Then the ice cracks and they fall and land on another piece of ice and it's moving but they don't know for a minute. Then they know and it's really funn ...more
Tamra
My second attempt at Magic Tree House. And while it's way better than Night of the New Magicians (my 8-year-old was right about that), it's still horrid.

Why is it horrid? Because it's so patronizing. Seriously, if you're going to write a children's book, don't talk to those children like they're idiots. I have a hard time computing that more adults who read the series don't catch the condescending tone. Cause it ticks me off.

Example: Something significant happens with the main characters in chap
Dolly
Jan 27, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Christopher
"It's no good sir! It's an ice planet!"

OK, that's only funny if you're a Stargate fan (and maybe not even then).

Jack and Annie are in Antarctica. Why? They need to cheer-up Merlin! And what better to cheer a guy up with but a baby penguin named Penny? (yes there are 3 other secrets of happiness gathered in earlier books and you can be happy caring for anyone/thing, not just a fuzzy little penguin who says "Peep!")

This book was particularly fun for the Daddy-voices. Aside from a cast of internati
Carolyn Borgen
I listened to this with my daughter on our drive up the the Twin Cities. She loves reading the books and loved listening to them even more. I was amazed that the author read the book too. Great book series for beginning chapter readers.
Sophie V
I think this was a great book, especially the part about Merlin cradling Penny the Penguin in his arms. (Sophie, Age 7)
April
The boys really enjoyed this, and I do believe it's the first Magic Treehouse I've finished~ :) Simon is the first of the kids to really enjoy them (although Natt seemed to be having a fine time during this one) I think we found a new series to work with!

I love that she puts facts in the end about the places Jack and Annie go as well as what they were learning about. It was fun to travel to Antarctica for a few days, and learn about the volcano that errupts every day!

These were nice, fun, quic
Cynthia Patterson
I really enjoyed the book. I liked the part where they almost barfed after they got off the snowmobile.
Seth
There was a orphan penguin named Penny. Penny was very small. They brought penny to Merlin.
Sydney Beu
Jack and Annie to Antarctica. They helped penguins by shooing away the birds that were knocking down the penguins. There were people there who asked them if they wanted to go on a trip to a volcano. They rode a helicopter there and then were dropped of at a place to wait for their parents but the ice they were stading on broke off into an iceberg. They floated to the emperor penguin who gave them a baby penguin who had no parents and Jack and Annie took the penguin back with them to Merlin the l ...more
Caleb
I Liked eve of the emperor penguin
Niha
(my first 100pg book) :)
Jordan
this is a really good book
Shelli
The Magic Tree House books are a MUST READ collection for all children. Unlike many other series for young readers, the Magic Tree House should be read in chronological order to best appreciate Jack and Annie's travels through time as they go on various missions; which are typically completed in four parts. Parents and educators will enjoy going along for the ride as much as their students! My daughter is a teenager now but she still gets excited when she sees a new tree house adventure has come ...more
Emily
Yuka Honda
Title-Eve of the Emperor Penguin
Time-9/19=40minites,9/22=20minites,9/23=20minutes
7words-Jack,Annie,Penguin,cold,hapiness,search,Antarctica
Discussion quetions-
1. they search for the secret of hapiness.What is hapiness for you?
I think hapiness is to make my precious family and friends happy.
2. If you met many penguins in Antarctica,what do you want to do?
I want to walk with many penguin slowly.

It's little difficult for me to read the book, because it's little long story, so I'm confused.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House Series book 40) by Mary Pope Osborne
Yet, another good book in the Magic Tree House series. This one is a Merlin Mission.
Jack and Annie’s objective is to find the fourth and final piece to the puzzle. Without the fourth piece, Merlin will forever be lost. This magical adventure takes them to Antarctica. But trouble awaits, when they run into a group of scientists and explores. As always Jack and Annie, come up with a plan, and this one is a funny one
Yuka Honda
-Title:Eve of the Emperoe Penguin
-Time:9/19=40minutes;9/22=20minutes;9/23=20minutes
-7word summary:Jack-Annie-Penguin-cold-happiness-search-Antarctica
-Discussion questions:
1.They search for the secret of hapiness. What is hapiness for you?
I think hapiness is to make my precious family and friend happy.
2.If you met many penguins in Artarctica,what do you want to do?
I want to walk with many penguin slowly.

It's little difficult for me to read the book, because it's little long story, so I confused.
Rachelolivia
Jun 02, 2015 Rachelolivia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
II
Jocelyn
This book is about a girl and boy named Annie and Jack. The Magic Tree House is a tree house in the tallest tree which is an oak tree. They go to Antarctica and a place called Camelot. It is November first (dads B-day), or the eighteenth (moms B-day). They are on a mission to find four things and bring them to Merlin (a wizard) who is sick. They travel in the magic tree house. The only reason I read this book is because I read all the Junie B. Jones books.
Ruth
As you can see we aren't reading this series in any sort of order, but I gather it doesn't make much difference? The kids went a little crazy discovering a whole shelf of them at the library so I made them narrow it down to several for this checkout period. :) Malachi (6) read quite a lot of this one himself, making me very proud for uttering the words, "I just can't wait any more, I have to read ahead to find out what happens!" for the first time, and proceeding to do just that. :)
  • Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)