Start by marking “Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House, #40)” as Want to Read:
Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House, #40)

Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House #40)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  3,121 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
JACK AND ANNIE continue their quest for the secrets of happiness—secrets they need to save Merlin. This time, the Magic Tree House takes them to the one continent they haven’t visited before: Antarctica! What can they hope to learn about happiness in such a barren place? Only the penguins know for sure . . . Jack and Annie are about to find out!

From the Hardcover edition.
Published December 8th 2009 by Random House (first published 2008)

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
I love this! Penguins are so cute~ Especially Emperor Penguins! Jack and Annie traveled to Antarctica and brought a baby penguin named Penny to give to Merlin as one of the secrets of happiness.
Marco De La Rosa
Oct 26, 2009 Marco De La Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-quater
This story is about when Jack and Annie go on another mission to help Merlin fell happy again because he won't eat, sleep, drink,or even talk. So Morgan Le Fay sends them on this mission to the antartic to go find something really special just for him.So as the magic tree house transported them to the cold lands, they wondered were are the animals or people? It was a quiet, windy,chilly,cold,frosty,snowy, icey and deep freezing. They really wondered what are they going to find all the way in the ...more
midnightfaerie
Nov 22, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My 6 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. Many of these are educational as well, focusing on a particular point in history such as a president's reign, or a location, like Ireland in this one, which goes really well with his geography and history lessons. He's loving it, and already ...more
Lisa
Here's our swan song to Winter (sniff, sniff). This one was particularly funny. The kids were cracking up over this one. And I learned a lot about Antarctica while I was reading this to the kids. I love that about this series. After we finish one of these and the kids go to bed, I always end up googling stuff I learned from the book :) This one brought on a long google search :) and p.s., I love penguins :)
Ashley Li
Feb 18, 2016 Ashley Li rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eve Of The Emperor Penguin Review

PERSONAL RESPONSE

This book taught me a lot of knowledge about Antarctica. For example, Mount Erebus is the most active volcano in Antarctica, with daily eruptions; only emperor penguins could survive winter in Antarctica, because only they could handle the cold and so on. And this book also taught me to take loving care of another can make one very happy, and also sometimes I can make other people happy by letting them take care of me.

THE PLOT

Jack and Annie went
Dree
Same old same old. Mediocre plot and now (being that this is #40) very predictable. But my 6 yo enjoyed it, of course.
Tate
May 27, 2010 Tate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brenda Wharton
Jan 29, 2017 Brenda Wharton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Jack and Annie travel to Antarctica to bring back the final key to happiness for Merlin the magician. While they are there, they encounter many different kinds of penguins and come back with a souvenir
Katie
It would have helped to read some of the proceeding books in the series as Jack and Annie were on a specific mission, but it is still doable on its own. Plus, there is always such a great wealth of information in these titles. Great as a read-aloud.
Karen
Oct 24, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another great adventure for Jack and Annie, especially since my seven-year-old is fascinated by the Antarctica. And -- bonus -- there is a baby penguin in it!
Shannon
Oct 16, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading some of the Magic Tree House books when I was younger, and I have recently got my son into these books. We picked up some newer ones while on vacation in Tennessee and I read this one in about an hour on our drive home. It was very cute can't wait for my son to read it. It was the first of the Merlin Mission's I have read, and it was still very cute.
Chris Lutz
Mar 29, 2016 Chris Lutz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Eve of the Emperor Penguin
Author: Mary Pope Osborne
Illustrator: Sal Murdocca
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Theme(s): Adventure, Friendship, Family
Opening line/sentence: Jack was raking leaves on a chilly November afternoon.
Brief Book Summary: Jack and Annie go to Antarctica to find the ancient crown, and also find the fourth key to happiness for Merlin the Magician.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Betty Key (The Lorgnette - Heart of Texas Reviews (Vol. 21, No. 4))
Jack, Annie, and
Dolly
Jan 14, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Tamra
Nov 23, 2009 Tamra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My second attempt at Magic Tree House. And while it's way better than Night of the New Magicians (my 8-year-old was right about that), it's still horrid.

Why is it horrid? Because it's so patronizing. Seriously, if you're going to write a children's book, don't talk to those children like they're idiots. I have a hard time computing that more adults who read the series don't catch the condescending tone. Cause it ticks me off.

Example: Something significant happens with the main characters in chap
Brandyn
Aug 23, 2014 Brandyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bryan
What I like about the Emperor Penguin is that Jack and Annie found a baby orphan penguin. She was just born, and her parents got lost in the storm. Marilyn was sick and the little penguin wanted to help them. It was the 4th secret that they were going to give Marilyn. Marilyn got a note, and then another note, and then a seashell. Jack and Annie were both confused because they couldn't figure out what incident crown meant. And, it was kind of funny when Jack and Annie were pretending to be grown ...more
Leto
Jan 14, 2015 Leto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Silva
Sep 13, 2016 Rick Silva rated it liked it
This was one of the odder entries in this series. As part of their quest to find the four secrets of happiness that will save Merlin from despair, Jack and Annie head to Antarctica.

A fairly important early revelation is that they are in modern-day Antarctica on real-Earth, but somehow in spite of that, the story takes a turn into magical fantasy.

It's also one of the few stories where the kids are pretty much caught in the act of sneaking around in places (in this case an entire continent) where
Angie
Nov 17, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Synopsis: "JACK AND ANNIE continue their quest for the secrets of happiness--secrets they need to save Merlin. This time, the Magic Tree House takes them to the one continent they haven't visited before: Antarctica! What can they hope to learn about happiness in such a barren place? Only the penguins know for sure . . . Jack and Annie are about to find out!"

My Review: This book was definitely an up tick in the series for me, it has recently been on the down swing but this brought it back up for
Hiina Shiota
Nov 13, 2015 Hiina Shiota rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was a very interesting and great book. I really liked the two protagonists, Jack and Annie, and the adventures they go by a magical tree house they had found. I also liked the way they could talk to them, and try to help solve their problems. I could easily connect to Annie, who is the sister of Jack because my sister is like her in personality. For example, whenever she found an animal, both Annie and my sister soon put a name on every animals, which I thought that it w ...more
Christopher
"It's no good sir! It's an ice planet!"

OK, that's only funny if you're a Stargate fan (and maybe not even then).

Jack and Annie are in Antarctica. Why? They need to cheer-up Merlin! And what better to cheer a guy up with but a baby penguin named Penny? (yes there are 3 other secrets of happiness gathered in earlier books and you can be happy caring for anyone/thing, not just a fuzzy little penguin who says "Peep!")

This book was particularly fun for the Daddy-voices. Aside from a cast of internati
April
Mar 01, 2012 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The boys really enjoyed this, and I do believe it's the first Magic Treehouse I've finished~ :) Simon is the first of the kids to really enjoy them (although Natt seemed to be having a fine time during this one) I think we found a new series to work with!

I love that she puts facts in the end about the places Jack and Annie go as well as what they were learning about. It was fun to travel to Antarctica for a few days, and learn about the volcano that errupts every day!

These were nice, fun, quic
Jocelyn
Sep 07, 2012 Jocelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a girl and boy named Annie and Jack. The Magic Tree House is a tree house in the tallest tree which is an oak tree. They go to Antarctica and a place called Camelot. It is November first (dads B-day), or the eighteenth (moms B-day). They are on a mission to find four things and bring them to Merlin (a wizard) who is sick. They travel in the magic tree house. The only reason I read this book is because I read all the Junie B. Jones books.
Roxanne
6/15/16: I've now read this in paperback, in addition to listening to the audio. It remains my daughter's favorite, probably because it was the first one to capture her imagination.

----
The first Magic Tree House book we got from the library. The author reads the audiobooks and she does a nice job. We came into this sort of in the middle - they've already found three secrets of happiness in previous books, and in this one they find the fourth one they need - but my kid did not care. We've been pl
Sydney Beu
Aug 21, 2012 Sydney Beu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Jack and Annie to Antarctica. They helped penguins by shooing away the birds that were knocking down the penguins. There were people there who asked them if they wanted to go on a trip to a volcano. They rode a helicopter there and then were dropped of at a place to wait for their parents but the ice they were stading on broke off into an iceberg. They floated to the emperor penguin who gave them a baby penguin who had no parents and Jack and Annie took the penguin back with them to Merlin the l ...more
Yuka Honda
Oct 08, 2012 Yuka Honda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title-Eve of the Emperor Penguin
Time-9/19=40minites,9/22=20minites,9/23=20minutes
7words-Jack,Annie,Penguin,cold,hapiness,search,Antarctica
Discussion quetions-
1. they search for the secret of hapiness.What is hapiness for you?
I think hapiness is to make my precious family and friends happy.
2. If you met many penguins in Antarctica,what do you want to do?
I want to walk with many penguin slowly.

It's little difficult for me to read the book, because it's little long story, so I'm confused.
Yuka Honda
Sep 22, 2012 Yuka Honda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-Title:Eve of the Emperoe Penguin
-Time:9/19=40minutes;9/22=20minutes;9/23=20minutes
-7word summary:Jack-Annie-Penguin-cold-happiness-search-Antarctica
-Discussion questions:
1.They search for the secret of hapiness. What is hapiness for you?
I think hapiness is to make my precious family and friend happy.
2.If you met many penguins in Artarctica,what do you want to do?
I want to walk with many penguin slowly.

It's little difficult for me to read the book, because it's little long story, so I confused.
Emily
Jan 27, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nathaniel
Mar 20, 2014 Nathaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. Annie takes a lot of pictures, and all the pictures disappear when they come home and it's because she took them on a magic mission. They're at the top of a volcano and they go walking. They fall into a hole and they land on some ice. They start to move and the ice cracks so they hold very still. Then they pull out the wand of truth. Then the ice cracks and they fall and land on another piece of ice and it's moving but they don't know for a minute. Then they know and it's really funn ...more
Shelli
Jul 28, 2009 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Magic Tree House books are a MUST READ collection for all children. Unlike many other series for young readers, the Magic Tree House should be read in chronological order to best appreciate Jack and Annie's travels through time as they go on various missions; which are typically completed in four parts. Parents and educators will enjoy going along for the ride as much as their students! My daughter is a teenager now but she still gets excited when she sees a new tree house adventure has come ...more
Heidi
Mar 17, 2016 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-son
My five-year-old loves this series, but he didn't like this book. It was too tense for him when Jack and Annie were caught by the tour guide, and he made me skip over a few chapters. I usually like how this series teaches nature facts as well as amuses children with the stories, but this book seemed short on facts and cast the scientists as the bad guys, opposing Jack and Annie's mission. Taking a baby penguin out of Antarctica illegally and disobeying rules right and left also seemed like poor ...more
  • Titanic (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #7)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

“That burning lava is miles deep,” said Nancy. “Its temperature is over seventeen hundred degrees Fahrenheit.” 1 likes