Start by marking “Rift in the Sky (Stratification, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rift in the Sky (Stratification, #3)

Rift in the Sky (Stratification #3)

Third in the prequel series to the Locus bestselling Trade Pact Universe novels.

Despite all good intentions, the lure of the Talent to move through space using the M'hir dimension is too much for the Om'ray of Cersi to resist. As the awareness of this talent spreads, all those Om'ray who are capable converge on the settlement at Sona. To prevent the disruption of the Agre
Published July 7th 2009 by DAW (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rift in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rift in the Sky

Carolyn
Nov 23, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Excellent!
Now I'm ready to reread the Trade Pact series, and eagerly awaiting the trilogy she let us know will be coming where that one leaves off - teasingly called "Reunification". = )
Candace
Jul 20, 2011 Candace rated it liked it
Tara
Mar 12, 2010 Tara rated it liked it
This book was fabulous until the last 75 pages or so. The ending just wasn't worthy of the characters. They spend the entire trilogy overcoming odds, sacrificing for the people, and then they just sort of settle for what they're handed, it seems. I was slightly bothered by Aryl suddenly being overwhelmed by 700 people and no longer being the leader of her people, but I could deal with it. Then they all lose their memories, which could be ok especially if they slowly regain their sense of ...more
Angela
Sep 26, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
It doesn't get much better for me than Julie Czerneda--especially when she concludes an epic, sweeping story like the Stratification trilogy, and does it with a book like Rift in the Sky. Here at last in this volume we see the Om'ray exiles under the leadership of Aryl Sarc having to make the leap from establishing their own Sona Clan to leaving their homeworld entirely, and what dire circumstances provoke their urgent flight--and which established characters must make sacrifices for that flight ...more
Synful
Jul 03, 2012 Synful rated it liked it
I really wanted to give this 4 stars. It was a good ending to the prequel trilogy about these people and it certainly did its job of getting them from A to B. However, my biggest gripe was what happened to them in the last quarter of the book. Suddenly all the characterization up to that point was tossed out the window, seemingly for convenience to finish getting to B from A. Everyone was suddenly different, cold people with whom I had trouble connecting. I still don't understand WHAT the M'hir ...more
Robert
May 05, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
First of all, Julie Czerneda is one of the very best contemporary world-builders. The detail is so meticulous that you quickly accept all her strange creatures as real, and I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy. I can only presume it was the effort to tie this in to her previously published "Trade Pact" world plus constraints of space that made this volume such an unsatisfying book.

The major problem is the abrupt, and not clearly justified break about halfway through - I presu
Corry L.
Dec 03, 2009 Corry L. rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-f
Tony Hisgett
Jan 25, 2016 Tony Hisgett rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I really don’t understand the ending to this series. I know this is a prequel and has to have an ending that fits into the original Trade Pact series, but I did find it a unsatisfactory way to end an intriguing story that has last well over a thousand pages in length.

It seemed that about three quarters of the way through the book the author got bored and couldn’t be bothered to finish the ‘Cersi’ story before getting back to her ‘Trade Pact’ trilogy. Given the last quarter of the book, the rest
Joe Slavinsky
Jan 23, 2016 Joe Slavinsky rated it really liked it
I really love Julie Czernada's writing! I've now read every novel she's written. This book, is the 3rd, in the "Stratification" trilogy, and the best, by far. This trilogy, is a "prequel" to her "Trade Pact Universe", which also contains 3 books, the first of which, "A Thousand Words For Stranger", was her very first novel. Together, she's now calling them "The Clan Chronicles", and has created, and expanded an extremely believable, very detailed, very exciting universe. I strongly urge you to ...more
Pancha
Aug 10, 2016 Pancha rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two in the trilogy, and I think that's because it is the book where Czerneda links to the previous trilogy. While this is a prequel, with the first two books I didn't feel at a disadvantage for having not read the initial series. But with book three, things became muddied and unsatisfying as the two series reached a convergence point. I assume that if I had read the Trade Pact books first, I would have enjoyed or at least better appreciated the ...more
Corgi Folk
Aug 22, 2016 Corgi Folk rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
The ending was disappointing, I don't know what else to say because I'm in love with the characters, different species and the mystery of the Hoveny Concentrix and the Makers. I may have expected some closure even in the context of this being prequel. The first two novels in this trilogy are spectacular.
Samantha
Aug 02, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I adore these books. There are detailed, intense, and lovable characters. The action moves right along and it's meaningful. This makes me want to go back and reread the first trilogy - which I still remember loving when it first came out.
Terry
Jul 28, 2010 Terry rated it liked it
Avery saisfying bridge book connecting its prequel triology to the Trade Pact Trilogy. Good characters but I am not quite the person I was when I read the Trade Pact Trilogy and could not sink into it as deeply.
Doranna Durgin
Dec 25, 2009 Doranna Durgin rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors...Rift is the third in the Clan Chronicles, the startlingly unique evolution of one of the Trade Pact Universe's most complex and powerful beings. Told, as ever, with heart and care.
Melissa
Jul 09, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Julie E. Czerneda. My only complaint is that it's been so long since I read the other books in the series. I feel as though I missed a lot in Rift in the Sky by not easily recollecting the other books. My own fault, though.
Naomi Stone
Apr 29, 2013 Naomi Stone rated it really liked it
Aryl and Enris and the Om'ray of Sona seek to establish their new clan while the other races of Cersi (the Oud and Tikitik) and offworld visitors clash, threatening the fragile peace.

Neil
Jul 24, 2012 Neil rated it liked it
For me this book had a very frustrating ending. I see now though that this is actually a trilogy of trilogies so I'll see if I can bring myself to read the other two series....
Chris Tice
Aug 27, 2009 Chris Tice rated it really liked it
This final book was a good ending to the series but still left some gaps which seems, according to her notes at the back, she will be filling in sometime. I know I am interested.
Bryan
Apr 30, 2010 Bryan marked it as unowned-to-buy
Shelves: ebooks, sf
Bought this ebook at fictionwise, but the publisher decided they wanted more money. Fictionwise refunded my money.
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Michael
Feb 29, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
A must read in the Stratification trilogy!
Justplain Corliss
Justplain Corliss rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Jetamors
Jetamors rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Jaina Sonsteng
Jaina Sonsteng rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Michael Mooney
Michael Mooney rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Michael Henderson
Michael Henderson rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Krys Garrett
Krys Garrett rated it did not like it
May 08, 2014
Sean Byrd
Sean Byrd rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Vegetable Princess
Fun and satisfying.
  • Xenopath (Bengal Station, #2)
  • Regenesis (Cyteen, #4)
  • Omega Games (Stardoc, #8)
  • Forgotten Suns
  • Tangled Up in Blue (The Snow Queen Cycle, #4)
  • Saltation (Theo Waitley, #2; Liaden Universe, #14)
  • The Wilding (In Conquest Born, #2)
  • Strength and Honor (Tour of the Merrimack, #4)
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • Judge (Wess'Har Wars, #6)
  • DarkShip Thieves (Darkship, #1)

Stratification (3 books)
  • Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification, #1)
  • Riders of the Storm (Stratification, #2)