Start by marking “Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home” as Want to Read:
Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home

Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  269 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
This is NOT your father's home repair book!And it's not your husband's, your brother's, your boyfriend's, or the guy's next door. Dare to Repair is a do-it-herself book for every woman who would rather be self-reliant than rely on a super or contractor.

No matter the depth of your pockets or the size of your home, a toilet will get clogged, a circuit breaker will trip, and
Published September 3rd 2002 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Repair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Repair

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaThree Black Skirts by Anna JohnsonBetter than Beauty by Helen ValentineDare to Repair by Julie SussmanOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. Lafferty
Girliest Girly-Girl Books
4th out of 28 books — 5 voters
By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderWilderness Survival Handbook by Michael PewthererAll Washed Up and Nowhere to Run by Rosamund SnowRobinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
The Best How To Survive Books
54th out of 64 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Bethany
Oct 16, 2008 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves:
kinda cheesy but whatever i'm a single female homeowner - this helped me change out my toilet seats!
Amy
Jan 05, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, home
So I get home after work, and all I really want is a shower. That's it. So I'm taking out my contacts......

.....and one flips right out of my eye. I hear it slide across the sink, and the unmistakable sound of it going down the drain.

{INSERT CHOICE OF CURSE WORD HERE].

So I stand there, frozen.

All of a sudden, I remember a book my mom got me last christmas. Dare to Repair. I look through it, and sure enough, there's a section on retrieving lost items from the drain.

I weigh the options. Nasty slim
Taylor Lamb
Jun 19, 2014 Taylor Lamb rated it it was amazing
Dare to Repair is an awesome book for any woman who is motivated to get things done, but doesn't know how to. It focuses more on the 'manly' tasks, as some would say. But it is the 20th century and not all of us have husbands, or at least husbands who know how to do half of the stuff mentioned in this book. This book will save you a lot of money on hiring contractors and different handy men to come over and do work around the house for you. There are also different books by these lady's I have s ...more
Caroline
Feb 21, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Not as comprehensive as the title might suggest, but a good place to start if something goes wrong.
Hilary
Jun 07, 2013 Hilary rated it really liked it
Starting with the very basics, this takes you through all those things that the first-time homeowner or tenant may need to know. Each topic takes you through a number of scenarios, with step-by-step instructions, useful diagrams and a list of the basic tools you actually need. It's written with a novice in mind, so the tone is more like someone you know giving you instructions over the phone than some of the other repair manuals (which may start by saying "Turn off the water at the mains and rep ...more
Dec 13, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is not a book that you sit down and read cover to cover.... unless maybe you're a guy and fixing things really revs you up. However, I used this book last night to unclog my bathroom sink and felt like it definitely deserved a shout-out on goodreads. This book rocks!
It explains how to fix all kinds of things in the house from plumbing to electricity to you-name-it with its intended audience being women. It is written by two women. It doesn't try to be cute, and there's no dumbing down. It's
Library
Nov 23, 2014 Library rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A great reference guide written by women for women. This book was a great introduction to home repair. Plumbing to electrical breakers... all explained in language that was easy to understand. I definitely would not attempt all of the repairs explained in this book but it is a great guide to decide if a repairman is truly needed.
Chelsey Cosh
Jul 19, 2015 Chelsey Cosh rated it really liked it
I love that feeling of self-reliance. Although I won't be a plumber or electrician, I feel like I know more than the average bear now when it comes to home maintenance and repair. If you'd like to feel that way too instead of calling a serviceperson every time something goes awry, I recommend reading DARE TO REPAIR.
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
The pictures are all of women, there are useful pages showing everything you need (with pictures, so if you wonder what on earth a dry wall saw is, you can see one), it says when you need a "helpful friend", and is written with much female humor. ("The age lines are showing after years of over-exposure to the sun. Does it help you feel better that we're just talking about your deck?") There are helpful bits about how to find the right thing at the hardware store, and they explain stuff like what ...more
Lisa Kearns
Jun 24, 2013 Lisa Kearns rated it it was amazing
This book paid for itself the first week I had it! I'm a pretty handy person with tools, but some home repair jobs are intimidating for women (and men) who have never tried before. I gambled on this book right before I called a plumber, and I'm glad I did! With the diagrams and step-by-step process, explanations of parts and tools needed, anyone can do these repairs. Leaky faucet, no problem. Clogged water intake on the washing machine, fixed in a jiffy. Simple re-wiring project, done without da ...more
Jessica
Jun 24, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
I've only read it for a handful of things, but it's been helpful. Kinda gives the can-do attitude every homeowner needs.

I see now there's other editions and I'm wondering if I need those too!
Louise
Jan 17, 2012 Louise rated it really liked it
I saw this on a friend's book shelf right after buying a house and thought it would be a good reference guide to home repairs. Don't let the Rosie Riveter on the cover fool you, this isn't just for girls.

The book contains lots of handy diagrams and clear instructions on how to repair or change stuff around the house. I found it especially useful when I had a leaky faucet that needed its rubber washer replaced. I also used it to take apart my bathroom doorknob so that guests could stop locking th
Mimo
Nov 23, 2007 Mimo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Homeowners or tenants with slow landlords; espec. women
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish I had this last year when Bradley was gone. I checked it out because I was trying to see about fixing our running toilet. The toilet ended up being fixed by my brother in law. But I liked the book enough that I decided to buy a copy of the book, I figured it would be good to have on hand. The authors provide clear examples and explanations of how to fix various household maladies. They also provide tips on preventative maintence.
Ana
Jan 06, 2010 Ana rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic for a basic DIY book written in "girl speak" by a couple of girls. Two women who's husbands work for either the FBI or CIA had to fend for themselves as their husbands traveled for work. Very well written and easy to understand in regard to directions of how to fix basic repairs, IE, clogged toilet, dripping faucet, etc...

Can't beat the cover either.....
Danielle
Jan 22, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, self-help
I have not read this book cover to cover. But I have used it to fix some things around my house (like my bathroom sink drain). I like how simple it is--I was never shown much about home repair, so having diagrams and pictures of the tools needed are very helpful for me. I think this book does a great job of balancing easy to understand instructions without condescension.
Megan
Jan 07, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
This book offers a lot of tips for people who are just moving out on their own. Not the best DIY repair book available, but offers very basic instructions on a random collection of repairs to be made around the home.

For those who like illustrations (or learn better from them), you may want to skip this book. There are a lot of drawings, but no actual photos.
Shelley Graves
Aug 09, 2007 Shelley Graves rated it really liked it
a great do it herself (sorry i couldnt resist) guide that is actually what it advertises. it doesnt just tell you how to nail pictures up or unclog a toilet but, in an homage to Ms. Riveter on the cover tells you essentially anything you might need to fix in your home...even some things you have no business fixing regardless of your gender.
Kevyn
Feb 24, 2008 Kevyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: home owners & renters with absentee landlords
Guidance for simple to intermediate repairs around the home, but best of all, it includes a season-by-season schedule of maintenance tasks you should perform to keep your home running smoothly by avoiding larger repair issues. Not overwhelming, so you can start using it immediately.
Kelly
Feb 17, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves:
A must-have for women who want to tinker around the house but may not possess inherent tinkering chops. My grandma was an immensely capable woman, and I proudly march in her footsteps, this book in tow, installing my own toilet seats, replacing screens, and even venturing into plumbing!
Danielle
Mar 13, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Danielle by: my brother
This book saved my life a number of times! I have learned so much and it is written in easily digestible bites that make it all seem like nothing--not a big deal, no reason to be worried. Seriously this is an asset to every home. Oh and the kick ass Rosie cover does not hurt!
JaNae
Nov 24, 2009 JaNae rated it it was amazing
I checked this out mostly to try and learn a few things that we should be doing by way of preventative maintenance. And I definitely did find some more things that should be on my regular "to do" list! Success!
Rynell
Nov 29, 2011 Rynell rated it liked it
This a useful reference book. I read most of it and figured it is a good guide to have around. I liked the step-by-step directions, but could have used more pictures for a visual how-to book.
Kelly
Jul 30, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it
Great for someone just moving out of their parent's house and into a home/condo. A lot of very basic stuff presented in a manner that makes the presented information easy to utilize.
Felice Trirogoff
Aug 22, 2007 Felice Trirogoff rated it it was amazing
listen up: get this book. if you own a house, thinking of owning a house or have terrible apartment maintenance people, you need this book. i just fixed my garbage disposal!
Angela
Aug 17, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
A great book! I'm planning to purchase these as wedding gifts or first apartment guides. Meant for a novice woman repairperson, but young guys might appreciate it, too.
Sorqaqtani Beki
Dare to repair : a do-it-herself guide to fixing (almost) anything in the home by Julie Sussman (2002), 1st ed
Heather
Feb 23, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is my bible around the house! Solutions to all your household mishaps!!!! Who needs a man to fix things?
Nora
Aug 26, 2013 Nora rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, diy
Aimed at women, but good for any inexperienced person dealing with basic repairs.
Kristel
Nov 09, 2007 Kristel rated it really liked it
good... basic... information that I wouldn't be scared to do all by myself
Betsy Jibson
Mar 13, 2008 Betsy Jibson rated it it was ok
Travis got me this for graduation. Apparently it reminded him of me.
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • More Show Me How: Everything We Couldn’t Fit in the First Book Instructions for Life from the Everyday to the Exotic
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System
  • The Garden Primer
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Real Simple: Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom, and Easy Ideas to Simplify Every Day
  • Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half with America's Cheapest Family: Includes So Many Innovative Strategies You Won't Have to Cut Coupons
  • Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska's Native Knitters
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To