Start by marking “Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083” as Want to Read:
Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083

Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,417 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
The wind and snow blow so hard, you can't see your hand in front of your face. Your heating fuel is nearly gone, and so is your food. How do you survive?

Five fourteen–year–olds face this desperate situation on a deadly journey in Antarctica. It is 2083. They are contestants on a reality TV show, Antarctic Survivor, which is set up to re–create Robert F. Scott's 1912 doomed
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published November 7th 2006 by HarperTeen (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Antarctica, please sign up.

Jennifer Scholastic Book Wizard rates this book a level V. Fountas and Pinnell have not rated the book yet.
Michelle A Not really as it's not the main point about the story. These are 14 year-old kids, barely teenagers, surviving in the wild. Don't expect a Hunger…moreNot really as it's not the main point about the story. These are 14 year-old kids, barely teenagers, surviving in the wild. Don't expect a Hunger Games-like plot. (less)

Elias
Jun 15, 2008 Elias rated it did not like it
Great concept, but it must have been difficult to write a 300-page book at a 3rd grade reading level. The language lacks the emotional complexity I've come to expect from good YA, instead relying on short sentences and simple characters with Frog and Toad-era depth. Somebody rewrite this one well, please.
Thomas
Apr 15, 2010 Thomas rated it really liked it
"Surviving Antarctica" is about the adventure of five fourteen year old teenagers who try to trek through... well, Antarctica. In 2083 the only way to get a further education besides high school is the toss, which is basically a chance game with dice, and if you win you get a further education but if you lose then you don't. Also, in 2083 the government has found that making everything happen through television (school, entertainment, etc.) is much more cost effective and much less violence prov ...more
Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
I really wanted to like this one because, you know, Antarctica. And this was a great idea: a futuristic society where reality TV has gone to horrifying new levels AND Antarctica? Sounds good to me. Unfortunately, the poor execution was apparent early on.

Although I don't claim to be an expert on Antarctica, I have read a couple of thorough and thoroughly convincing books on the subject, but there were few parts of this book that felt authentic. I could have forgiven the lack of world-building and
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Jul 20, 2016 Valerie (Val's Vicinity) rated it really liked it
The year is 2083, and American civilization as we know it no longer exists. Years back, the government went bankrupt, crime rates soared, riots and urban trash wars broke out. With the idea that better television programming would keep people in front of their TV's, thus reducing crime and keeping people happy, a new branch of government was formed... the Department of Entertainment.

Public schools are no more, all schooling is now done through TV, up until high school. (If you aren't rich, then
Lucy
May 27, 2008 Lucy rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, sciencefiction
In 2083, until 8th grade, kids attend teleschool. They watch reality television that is loosely designed to teach them things—Historical Survivor, Dialing for Dollars, and more. Kids who want to continue their education—the only way to really make anything of yourself—is to attempt the Toss, a roll of the dice that determines if you will receive a government scholarship.

Polly, Robert, Grace, Andrew and Billy have lost their Tosses, and have been chosen to be the participants in Historical Surviv
Jessica
Jul 08, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Hunger Games trilogy
Recommended to Jessica by: Diane
In a future where television replaces a school education, citizens sign up for chances to be on re-creations of historical events in a reality tv series known as Historical Survivor. But Survivor's ratings are slipping and the Secretary of Entertainment needs a new idea to get the public's attention. So she creates a script recreating the tragically fatal 1911 quest for the South Pole, complete with pre-programmed catastrophes mimicking the original trek. Then she casts five 14-year-olds, with t ...more
Kris
Oct 30, 2010 Kris rated it it was amazing
This was my second time through this one. I really liked it the first time as well. 5 young people are chosen at random to participate in a reality TV re-creation of Scott's doomed expedition to the South Pole. The unlikely and unprepared group has to pull together and learn each others' strengths in order to succeed. Working against them is the ratings-obsessed head of the Department of Entertainment which doubles as the Department of Education - education being limited to "teleschool" and stop ...more
Parth Parikh
Apr 15, 2016 Parth Parikh rated it it was amazing
The novel "Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083" by Andrea White is truly an astounding book. The thrill while turning every page is extreme! While many people (including me) wouldn't necessarily choose this as their first preference to read, the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" truly applies. The reality show part didn't really catch me at first, but yet I picked this book to read. This was the right decision! The reality TV show was a very original and unique idea. Amazing thriller bo ...more
rose
Sep 30, 2008 rose rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
Nancy S
Nov 04, 2015 Nancy S rated it it was amazing
I have read all the criticisms of this book, and while I do not necessarily disagree with them, this did not stop me from thoroughly enjoying it. If taken as a satire on our current culture, it is perfection. A story about a future where almost all education is done on television, and where a roll of the dice determines who can attend high school and college, fascinates me. And the fact that the greatest form of entertainment is a reality show where people actually compete to the death, is pure ...more
Alyssa
Dec 11, 2008 Alyssa rated it liked it
I thought this was a really enjoyable book. It wasn't one that I couldn't put down (like the Inkheart trilogy) but I still thought it was really great! It wasn't depressing or stressful like I thought it was going to be, even though the kids were traveling through Antarctica. It also had a lot of history that I would have never learned about otherwise.
Amy Bearce
4.5 This was a quick, enjoyable read. I'd call it upper middle grade, not YA, though I liked it even as adult. I appreciated the history along with the science fiction elements.
Tammy Mannarino
Dec 26, 2016 Tammy Mannarino rated it liked it
The beginning of this book was very formulaic--The introduction of the characters and certain aspects of the setting were clumsily approached. Once the action got started, the novel was very engaging. It was similar to young fiction titles like The Hunger Games but has an educational flavor to it. It did make me want to read about Scott"s Journey to Antarctica. I would recommend for young fans of distopian fiction. The book, however, doesn't really escape the YA genre.
Amy Michael
Dec 05, 2016 Amy Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: sms-bulldog
Hunger Games'ish...The book itself triggered the my need to explore further about Antarctica and the history behind the exploration. The story paralleled both reality shows and historical fiction blending the old with the new...
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surviving Antarctica:
In the book people had to pay a lot of money to go to college or school, and if you got the dice number the rolled you would get a scholarship. There was this paper that if you wanted $100,000 you must enter a surviving series. So these kids sign up for it because they were desperate to go to college and they all signed up thinking that it would be impossible. Polly, billy, grace, robert and andrew didn't know each other at first, but then they get called saying they got s
Chy
Oct 30, 2012 Chy rated it liked it
(If we're going on a witch hunt, I'd wave this book at Suzanne Collins before I'd wave Battle Royale. Just sayin'. But I wouldn't wave anything at her; I still think it's weird how upset some people got over the BR/HG thing. And I try to avoid witch hunts.)

Goodwill's having a five-for-a-dollar deal on their books. (That's been "today only" for about a month.) I had seven books in my arms. Instead of deciding which two to put back, I picked up three more.

Cause that's how I roll.

That's why my book
Michelle A
Dec 19, 2016 Michelle A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a bit sad reading the rest of the reviews and seeing how many people disliked the book, but that’s what we’re here for. I read this book before high-school and am pleasantly surprised that it manages to hold up ten years later. I remember when I first read the Hunger Games (an inevitable comparison) I thought how similar it was to this one, and even considered it a dramatic rip-off.

Granted, there are a few details about this story that, if corrected, would make it all the more brilliant. Th
Summer
Feb 03, 2010 Summer rated it did not like it
The cover says it all. Really, it does. Why, oh, why did I pick this up when the cover was so awful that I could hurl it into a deep pit just glancing at it!? In fact, the entire time I was reading it I hid the cover from my mom in the car. The plot. Sad, sad, sad little imitation of... well the Hunger Games. This would all make sense if only this book were published about three years later when the Hunger Games were actually out. But with something like that out there, why even bother with this ...more
Michael
Oct 04, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
Survival 101: How to live in Antarctica
The book is Surviving Antarctica 2083 by Andrea White. I believe that the main theme of Surviving is that no matter what happens or what troubles are thrown at you, you can do anything. You should always stand up for what you believe in.
I really loved this book. It takes place in 2 places, Antarctica and Washington D.C, and there are 6 main characters. They are Polly, Andrew, Grace, Billy, Robert, and Steven. The Antagonist is the Secretary of Entertainme
Liz
Jun 06, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing
A corrupted government. Five fourteen-year-olds. One deadly mission. Surviving Antarctica Reality TV 2083 takes place 72 years in future where kids are lucky if they go to high school and where most people have never eaten real bacon, instead having to make do with bacon chips. After the Urban Trash Wars, wages by poor people to protest their hard lives, the Department of Entertainment was created to teach kids through EduTV. Now english is taught through Tele-Novelas, math through Dialing for D ...more
Kazim W.
May 09, 2016 Kazim W. rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what education will be like in the future? Andrea White answers this question in her breathtaking story, Surviving Antarctica, which takes place in 2083. Her suspenseful and thrilling book shows how life and education will be different from today, specifically how the lower-class will have no power compared to the upper-class.
White starts off her book by sharing the life of each character. The five main kids, Grace, Andrew, Polly, Billy, and Robert are part of the lower-c
Karin
Jan 06, 2008 Karin rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult
Imagine a world where there are no public schools and only the extremely rich can afford to go to high school and beyond. Those not fortunate enough to be wealthy have to rely on "The Toss" that occurs once a year. All the fourteen-year-olds gather for their opportunity to roll the dice. If the correct combination comes up (which changes for every person) they are awarded a scholarship for continued schooling. If you don't roll the correct combination, there is no education in your future.

For al
Christine Blachford
Sep 14, 2016 Christine Blachford rated it liked it
Interesting story this one. It's very much in the same genre as The Hunger Games, as in a dystopian future sees children subjected to horrible manipulated gameshows that could end up in their death, with the reward being a marginally better lifestyle than what they have at the moment.

It's not original in that sense, but it did feel like a new take on the genre - kids forced to recreate Scott's mission to get to the South Pole, and all the dangers that come with it.

The peril was clear from the ou
Chelsea
Books like this kill me. I mean the author comes up with such a fantastic idea. I mean kids trekking in Antarctica for money, very unique.

My first problem was on the very first page. I've read other reviews and I'm surprised that no one else saw this. A prologue is not the first chapter nor is it to be used as a background one. It is simply a part of the story that is way ahead to grab onto our attention.

The writing was pathetic. As a critic on a few online websites, I have read worse. But thi
Karissa
Apr 26, 2012 Karissa rated it liked it
As I am sure many other people have said, this sort of reminded me of The Hunger Games when I first read the description. After you read it though, it's not much like THG at all.

This book is set in the future, in 2083 as the title does say, and when you're 14 instead of going straight to high school and college, you must play the dice in order to see if you win a scholarship to have the money to do so. So you have a 50/50 chance and all is fair. School before that consists of just watching tele
Sara
Jun 09, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2010
4.5 stars. Set in America, 2083, where kids are now educated by television and only a lucky few are randomly given scholarships for education past their fourteenth birthday, the Department of Entertainment has set up a series of reality TV shows showing contestants in a historical event - the building of the Pyramids, the Civil War, WWI, and now in Antarctica. Five fourteen-year-olds are chosen for this latest show, the first starring kids, and they're sent to Antarctica to try and survive under ...more
Kimberly
Jun 27, 2011 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
In the year 2083, everyone lives in front of the TV. That's how they're educated, entertained, and controlled. The most popular show on TV is the "Survivor" series, and shows are made based on historical events. This seasons's installment is "Surviving Antarctica," and to boost slumping ratings, five 14-year-old kids have been selected as the cast of the show.

I found the writing style of this book to be a bit more elementary than "young adult." Plus, in some ways it was quite tedious, as in many
"Skippy"
Sep 23, 2011 "Skippy" rated it really liked it
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.

One of the great things about this book are the details. Two moons in the sky, Alaska is a nuclear waste dump, Superpox, The Fair Society, Urban Trash Wars, the history is all there. I also enjoyed the direct quotes from Scott's Journals, I found that an excellent way to emotionally connect the reader to the actual risks the kids were facing.

I also loved how varied the characters were. From the morally conflicted yet caring Steve, to the cold-hearted vain Secretary,
Jenben8426
Feb 06, 2011 Jenben8426 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The year is 2083 and TV is the focus of the nation. After all it was only after the secretary of education created better programing that the wars and crime stopped in this country. The public schools have been closed and children now learn from edu-tv. The government is broke, the country is basically in shambles with too many poor and only a few wealthy. Once you turn 14 you roll a dice and if you get the pre-picked number you win more education, if not you must get to work. The Historical Sur ...more
Jasmine
Jun 11, 2012 Jasmine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Younger Young Adults
The year is 2083, and the world has become a place where all education is taught at home, through the TV. Schools don’t exist until unversity/college, and only the rich get to go. There is a dice rolling competition each year that sponsors those who win, to go to school and continue their education.

The TV networks run shows similar to ‘Survivor’, and they decide to run one where they send a handful of 14 year olds out to Antarctica to re create Scotts journey to the pole.

it’s a deadly journey, a
Surviving Antarctica 2 20 Oct 10, 2011 01:30PM
  • The Big Empty (The Big Empty, #1)
  • The Inferior (The Bone World Trilogy, #1)
  • Everything Beautiful in the World
  • One of the Survivors
  • They Came From Below
  • Evil?
  • Rising Shadow (The Soterians, #1)
  • Sweet Farts
  • Thaw
  • Murder Genes
  • The Diary of Pelly D
  • Stone Cold
  • The Silenced
  • Living Hell
  • Streams of Babel (Streams of Babel, #1)
  • Border Crossing