Start by marking “McSweeney's 17” as Want to Read:
McSweeney's 17

McSweeney's 17 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #17)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Issue 17 is not an ordinary issue of McSweeney's. It is, however, an ordinary-looking bundle of mail, stacked and rubber-banded, containing the usual items: a recent issue of Yeti Researcher; a large envelope, called Envelope, containing fine oversized reproductions of new art; a sausage-basket catalog; a flyer for slashed prices on garments that are worn by more than one
Hardcover
Published April 27th 2006 by Hamish Hamilton (first published October 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about McSweeney's 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McSweeney's 17

MJ Nicholls
This issue is an exercise in world-class parody, with top marks for invention and attention-to-detail. Arriving in a clump of documents belonging to one Sgt Maria Vasquez, the issue spoofs the spam mail letter in the form of a ‘spam manuscript’ (a novel excerpt printed on double-sided A4) and a series of automobile and trout photographs.

The stories themselves are entirely incidental, included in a spoof literary quarterly called Unfamiliar. It is what McSweeney’s might have become without the v
Nate D
It just needs to be stated that "fake mail pile" has to be one of the most amusing and underutilized literary journal formats.

Bonus points for working in the classic "Nigerian Email Con" but turning it into some kind of Bangladeshi marriage scheme motivated by impending flooding by a World Bank dam proposal. And making this the cover letter for a manuscript.

...

Format: ****
Surprising inclusion of contemporary art reproductions, inlcuding a Camille Rose Garcia painting I've always loved: ****
Actua
Sam Quixote
McSweeney's 17 is designed to look like a bundle of junk mail. So you have a couple of letters which are actually stories, you get a clothes catalogue for conjoined twins, attractively designed chocolate baskets brochure, a Yeti magazine, a magazine of short stories called "Unfamiliar", and a manila envelope with beautiful artwork printed on card. Suffice it to say, no one is doing what McSweeney's is doing in the literary world.

And some might well roll their eyes at the list above but chances
Angela
Brilliantly conceived epistolary issue of the journal. Before I knew what was happening I was standing over the stove, steaming open the letters of one mysterious Sgt. Maria Vasquez like some kind of criminal. Well, who wouldn't, for an assortment of photographs of red cars (and fish), provided we're willing to waive all liability?

The items included are clever and at times hilarious. On format alone this would get five stars. The only unfortunate thing is that we don't learn more about Vasquez
Alexander
This is the amazing 'Pile of Mail' issue. The whole issue is printed and assembled like it's someone's mail. Literally. There are short stories in envelopes that are sealed and stamped and post-marked. There are publications like "Yeti Researcher" and "Unfamiliar", and catalogs for shirts with 4 armholes. Even an envelope of postcards of amazing new artworks. All bound together in a giant rubber band. This truly an awesome issue.
Kevin
I recently wrote a short thing about Dave Eggers and then realized that I hadn't rated or reviewed the many issues of McSweeney's I've read. The early issues were especially influential and inspiring to me. This issue was obnoxious with all its loose parts but really great nonetheless, especially the Yeti Researcher thing and the never-repeated "twice monthly magazine" Unfamiliar.
Andrea
I finally got around to reading this after having it on my shelf for several years. I loved the individual packaging of each element but overall wasn't wild about much of the content. I did love the Peter Ferry story for it's examination of the story-telling process. "Bits of Quality Time" was also a nice piece.
Rachel McKinney
One of the most unique quarterlies EVER. I picked this up in a package deal right from McSweeney's and was the best treat to recieve... I like to put it in the magazine rack in my bathroom during parties and see who notices and what they say.
Mike
I was wary about this one at first, and I found the yeti book to be pretty lame, but the more I dug in, the more I liked. The envelope of art was especially awesome. Too bad this idea never took off.
Christian Lipski
The Yeti Researcher volume was so realistic that I had to look on the internet to see if it was real. The other bits were lovingly crazy. Some nice stories indeed.
Bess
this came with one of my quarterly orders. it was funny but really just a loose jumble of papers and photographs that were hard to keep on the bookshlef.
Jim
This was my first McSweeney's Quarterly Concern; I think I stepped in at a good time. The preperation on this one is impeccable.
katrina
Points for creative format, loss of points for lack of interesting reading. A big pile of paper joke.
Abby
One of the best McSweeney's issues ever... don't miss this one.
Ben Bush
The yeti stuff was surprisingly interesting.
David Gray
Better in the format than the content.
Jerry
great design more than anything
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
M Aghazarian
M Aghazarian marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
  • McSweeney's #13
  • I.
  • The Future Dictionary of America
  • McSweeney's #10
  • Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...]
  • The McSweeney's Book of Poets Picking Poets
  • Lemon
  • Everything That Rises: A Book of Convergences
  • This Shape We're In
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • The Pharmacist's Mate
  • Shiny Adidas Tracksuits and the Death of Camp and Other Essays from Might Magazine
  • Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid
  • English as She Is Spoke: Being a Comprehensive Phrasebook of the English Language, Written by Men to Whom English was Entirely Unknown
  • Bowl of Cherries
  • The Riddle of the Traveling Skull
  • Samuel Johnson Is Indignant
  • Thanks and Have Fun Running the Country: Kids' Letters to President Obama
Dave Eggers is the author of seven previous books, including his most recent, The Circle, a captivating story of one woman’s ambition and idealism that soon becomes a heart-racing novel of suspense, raising questions about memory, history, privacy, democracy, and the limits of human knowledge.

Eggers is the founder and editor of McSweeney's, an independent publishing house based in San Francisco th
More about Dave Eggers...

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • McSweeney's #1
  • McSweeney's #7
  • McSweeney's #8
  • McSweeney's #9
  • McSweeney's #10
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius What is the What Zeitoun The Circle You Shall Know Our Velocity!