Start by marking “How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  441 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Here’s the real history of our country. How Capitalism Saved America explodes the myths spun by Michael Moore, the liberal media, Hollywood, academia, and the rest of the anticapitalist establishment.

Whether it’s Michael Moore or the New York Times, Hollywood or academia, a growing segment in America is waging a war on capitalism. We hear that greedy plutocrats exploit the
Published August 23rd 2005 by Crown Forum (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How Capitalism Saved America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Capitalism Saved America

Economics in One Lesson by Henry HazlittHuman Action by Ludwig von MisesThe Law by Frédéric BastiatMeltdown by Thomas E. Woods Jr.America's Great Depression by Murray N. Rothbard
The Austrian School of Economics
42nd out of 87 books — 91 voters
This Changes Everything by Naomi KleinAtlas Shrugged by Ayn RandI, Pencil by Leonard E. ReadThe Law by Frédéric BastiatThe Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek
Heroes of Capitalism
10th out of 29 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Never before has the reading of a book stirred me to violent action against the book itself (I threw it against the wall).

After having thoroughly enjoyed his attack on Lincoln as an amoralist mercantilist in chapter 5, I was then coldcocked unawares by this bit of soulless capitalist ideology in chapter 6 (in reference to a Ludwig von Mises affirmation of the righteousness of early 19th century factory jobs):

The same can be said of the conditions in some of the world's less-developed countries t
Brian
Nov 26, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: economic-history
When reading anything associated with the Von Mises institute you will always get a contrarian view to just about everything you learned in school. Nothing different in this great book by Prof. DiLorenzo.

Chapter 1: "What is Capitalism" points out the main ideas associated with this form of economy. Because everyone has different needs at different times, it is impossible for the economy to be centrally planned and have it work out, i.e Soviet Union, Cuba, & Old China among others. In a free
Kevin
Jan 03, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
A great antidote to the anticapitalist myths that seem to be getting ever stronger in this country. I recently read some of my little brother's American History textbook, which (for one example) treated FDR as some kind of god rather than a misguided leader with semi-fascist views. This book presents the good side of capitalism, which we ignore at our peril.
David
Oct 11, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Excellent debunking of the justification for all the socialist spending programs of our Federal government. We are continually told that booms and busts are all part of the free market, but it's been a long time since we've had a free market. He also goes into Mercantilsm, the opposite of Capitalism, which is when the government favors certain businesses. The American revolution was largely an economic one, since Great Britain practiced Mercantilism.

Here is something very applicable to our curre
Furb
Oct 28, 2008 Furb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Furb by: freedombookclub.com
This book is an excellent presentation on the problems of government 'regulations' into free market mechanisms. This book illustrates simply and clearly how many chaotic economic problems were actually caused by interference from government regulations.

Many historical examples are cited, from how Governor Bradford in the days of the Pilgrims ended communal property ownership (thus ending a long period of starvation), to how free market capitalist James J. Hill (railroad tycoon) outperformed his
Davidmcdonnell
May 21, 2009 Davidmcdonnell rated it it was amazing
In How Capitalism Saved America, DiLorenzo tells the story of America from Jamestown to present. DiLorenzo explains how capitalism has both been the primary driver of our country's success, and is constantly under attack from those who would advocate additional government control. He contrasts capitalism with mercantilism very clearly, and explains that in almost all cases, when the public criticizes capitalism, they are really criticizing mercantilism. A great example is 'corporate welfare.' Ca ...more
David Robins
Aug 08, 2011 David Robins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takes on and sets straight the anticapitalists that blame a straw-man capitalism for the ills of collectivist states, illustrating how capitalism preserved the pilgrims, enriched the working man, increased people's standard of living, and how it is wrongly blamed for the (mercantilist, crony "capitalist") robber barons, Great Depression, was harmed by the New Deal - which dragged out the Depression - and how price controls result in shortages, with the energy crisis as prime example. There is a ...more
Tyler L.
Aug 26, 2013 Tyler L. rated it it was amazing
This book was better than I anticipated. It was organized very well and succeeded in drawing distinctions between capitalism and mercantilism. DiLorenzo, an economist by trade, has become a remarkable student of history with his many years of research and writing.

DiLorenzo covers the most essential topics:

-The collectivized agriculture of the Pilgrims causes starvation until they implemented private property rights.

-The mercantilism of the American colonies led to their capitalist revolt in 17
cover72
Aug 13, 2013 cover72 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mikel
One of the best books I've ever read. It answered many of the questions I've been pondering on for a long time. Some of my favorite statistics from the book:

"Only 5 percent of families in the bottom fifth of the income distribution in 1975 were still there in 1991. More than three-fourths of them had made their way up to the two highest income quintiles."

"Less than 1 percent of the sample population remained in the bottom 20 percent during the entire time period under study"

This book is a great
Vinu
Feb 04, 2013 Vinu rated it liked it
I agree with almost all of what he is saying. Antitrust, Microsoft, Big food, Tobacco, Government subsidies, everything. But, I still can't figure out if this will apply to the latest restrictions placed on the financial industry in the US. Basically, what happens if the majority of an industry goes down a slippery slope? should the government step in to prevent a sudden crash and put in rules to prevent it? And by his theory, we should have let GM and Ford fold. And that could have been a disas ...more
John
Nov 18, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Capitalism is being condemned everywhere these days. Once again, we're told that the free enterprise system has failed, and unless government steps it to save us all, we'll all be working in coal mines while robber barons profit from our exploited labor.

In this masterful work, DiLorenzo shows how it precisely capitalism that made America become so rich so quickly. He goes through many periods of American history, from the Puritans learning early on that Communism doesn't work, to the so-called r
Shea Mastison
Nov 15, 2013 Shea Mastison rated it it was ok
This was a pretty good book, but I had heard virtually everyone of DiLorenzo's arguments on the Mises website a couple years back, in the online lectures that they offer. Even, if I remember correctly, Tom Woods, Jr. was the one predominantly lecturing on the issues of the "robber barons," child labor, and the ability of capitalism to generally improve the lot of everyone.

This book is not as impassioned as "The Real Lincoln," and the author is plainly not as invested in making a case as to why
Cormacjosh
May 14, 2014 Cormacjosh rated it it was amazing
A fine story of historical fact and economic axioms. I felt it needed such exposure that I read it for work. Highly recommended.
Jason
Feb 12, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Clearly explains what Capitalism is and and gives lots of historical examples.
Russ
Oct 06, 2012 Russ rated it really liked it
How Capitalism Saved America takes concrete, historical examples from American history, some of which have been turned into anti-capitalist myths, and shows how capitalism was and is essential to this country's progress and survival. Some of the usual myths perpetuated by the anti-capitalists are presented and shown to be inaccurate; however, some of the best material deals with first colonies and Pilgrims.
Gabriel Richard
Jun 30, 2011 Gabriel Richard rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and the little known facts that aren't taught in school regarding the actions of individuals to achieve ends that the state and any governing body can only dream of. From tackling the "Gilded Age" to "Robber Barrons" and the "New Deal," This book surprises and well informs of the benefits of a free society.
Bryan
Dec 06, 2011 Bryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
It took me a while to get through this, but I did enjoy it. I thought a better title would have been "The Attack on American Capitalism". Many interesting ideas presented. I see history repeating itself today with some of the slogans I hear and some of the news reports.
Derek
A very good primer on libertarian economic theory and their perspective on the history of the United States. Nothing particularly new or shocking here; all the usual points are covered, and all the typical questions are ignored. Textbook free-market fundamentalism.
Adam Ross
Nov 02, 2009 Adam Ross rated it it was ok
This is a really fantastic introduction to the history of capitalism in the U.S. and what it has done. A great place to start, even though Dilorenzo stumbles in a couple of places and is hampered by a somewhat over-individualistic approach.
Cheryl
Jul 20, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This book is far more useful and interesting than any of my history classes. I now wish I had studied economics in college. Unfortunately, many of our country's leaders have not learned from history. This book makes it really simple.
Peter
Feb 13, 2009 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, history
Another good book for anyone looking to understand politics and economics.... providing the counter argument for those tired of the old leftist argument against capitalism!
Douglas Wilson
Jul 05, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
DiLorenzo is one of those unenviable writers whose task it is, in this age of Obama, to prove that water doesn't flow uphill. He does a great job.
Brett
Jul 15, 2009 Brett rated it really liked it
Excellent book. The history that I was never taught. Was waiting for a great concluding chapter that never came.
Mike
Jul 26, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Shines light on capitalism and how social responsibility is diminishing. The politicians are at fault
Tim Speer
Jul 13, 2010 Tim Speer rated it it was amazing
This book by DiLorenzo is excellent and should be required reading for all graduating High School Students!
Cheree
May 10, 2010 Cheree rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading in all American history courses.
Jodi
Apr 14, 2008 Jodi rated it really liked it
An interesting look at capitalism and history.
Christopher
Apr 16, 2011 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Like Myth Busters for history.
  • Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and the Government Bailout Will Make Things Worse
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • A History of Money and Banking in the United States: The Colonial Era to World War II
  • The Myth of the Robber Barons: A New Look at the Rise of Big Business in America
  • The Austrian Theory of the Trade Cycle and Other Essays
  • Democracy--The God That Failed: The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order
  • Crash Proof 2.0: How to Profit from the Economic Collapse
  • The Market for Liberty
  • Crisis and Leviathan: Critical Episodes in the Growth of American Government
  • Where Keynes Went Wrong: And Why World Governments Keep Creating Inflation, Bubbles, and Busts
  • The Theory of Money and Credit
  • Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School
  • A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
  • Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the Solution and Not the Problem
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
Thomas James DiLorenzo is an American economics professor at Loyola University Maryland. He identifies himself as an adherent of the Austrian School of economics. He is a senior fellow of the Ludwig von Mises Institute and an associated scholar of the Abbeville Institute. He holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Virginia Tech.
More about Thomas J. DiLorenzo...