Start by marking “Kehinde” as Want to Read:
Kehinde

Kehinde

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Kehinde and her husband Albert had always intended to return to Nigeria. When the opportunity arises, Kehinde realizes she is reluctant to leave London and the independence she has enjoyed there. Albert, longing for the prosperity and status that will be his in Nigeria, is determined not to be thwarted in his plans. He thinks that it is his wife's duty to obey him and forc ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Waveland Press (first published February 22nd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Kehinde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kehinde

Rebecca
Interesting take on the experience of Nigerian immigrants in London, return to Nigeria, woman's awakening to herself in the face of conflicts with her culture.
Serenity L
I'm neither from Nigeria or London. So maybe this book wasn't written for me. I had to google a lot to understand what was going on. These characters vexed me from beginning until almost the end. I did find the ending satisfying. .. hence the 3 stars.
Enbah
Dec 19, 2015 Enbah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiorella Chávez
Lo compré porque estaba en oferta, me encantó!
Heather
I read this in my Modern British lit class, and I was enthralled. While it isn't the sort of thing I would've picked up on my own, I'm glad I read it. It's awesome because it explores the intersection of race, identity, gender, nationality and post-colonialism in such a simple but powerful way. It's short, too!
Laurie
Mar 11, 2010 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book was interested story of a Nigerian woman in Britain in the 1960's and her struggle to get free from oppressive Nigerian culture. I was not that impressed with the writing style. Too often she had to tell you the point she was trying to make rather than letting the story do it.
Ollie Eubany
Sep 19, 2012 Ollie Eubany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book online and waited expectedly since I had read several books by Buchi Emecheta and the wait was worth it. The only problem was it was too short. The book highlights the difference in a Nigerian family living in England and living in Nigeria.
Katherine Brown
Many people do not think of immigration in other countries outside of the United States, however many people see refuge in more developed countries around the world. This book is a great depiction of a woman's struggle within her own culture for freedom.
Elizabeth
Jan 28, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book - I have a new found appreciation for Buchi Emecheta. I thought the end was a little rushed and would have like to see more development of her relationship with the Caribbean dude and her son.
Anne
Mar 09, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
Read for book group.
Probably would not have read it otherwise.
Interesting.
Difficult to read about a family falling apart.
Ending is less taut than the rest of the story.
Yakut Melikzadeh Akbay
Kehinde is a novel about a woman who goes through a long experience as a result of which she attains self-awareness.
Christa Bella
i think she is the best author
Jasminew2012
Nov 06, 2008 Jasminew2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best immigrant and confident book i have ever read in my life!!
David Dacosta
Apr 27, 2012 David Dacosta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A woman must endure cultural sexism to find her independence.
Heather Beyer
Jun 30, 2013 Heather Beyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story, held attention well.
Arbraxan
Arbraxan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Akizogn
Akizogn marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kadijatu
Kadijatu marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Ivy Gathii
Ivy Gathii marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Sivuyile
Sivuyile marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Mercilina
Mercilina marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Elijah Oyekunle
Elijah Oyekunle marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Emily Stifter
Emily Stifter marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2016
Sev
Sev added it
Apr 07, 2016
Buunny
Buunny marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
  • Black Bourgeoisie
  • Maps
  • Sundiata
  • Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria
Buchi Emecheta OBE (born 21 July 1944, in Lagos) is a Nigerian novelist who has published over 20 books, including Second-Class Citizen (1974), The Bride Price (1976), The Slave Girl (1977) and The Joys of Motherhood (1979). Her themes of child slavery, motherhood, female independence and freedom through education have won her considerable critical acclaim and honours, including an Order of the Br ...more
More about Buchi Emecheta...