Start by marking “Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley” as Want to Read:
Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley

Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In March 2005 the business world woke up to an unprecedented full-page ad in the Wall Street Journal calling for the removal of Morgan Stanley's CEO. Less than four months later, a group of eight retired, multimillionaire executives had orchestrated a stunning revolt within the most prestigious and—until recently—most successful financial-services firm on Wall Street. Now ...more
Published October 21st 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published December 31st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Blood and Mutiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Blood and Mutiny

Randy
I'm somewhat disappointed by this book, even though it's well written. Yes, I learned a lot about the world of finance and the history of Morgan Stanley, but I found this book to be repetitious. Also, most of the book is a diatribe against Phil Purcell, the man who became CEO of Morgan Stanley after it merged with Dean Witter.

The diatribe soon gets boring, especially because Ms. Beard doesn't show a glimmer of empathy for him. Cleary, Ms. Beard is completely on the side of the mutineers.

George
Jun 15, 2013 George marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
Only about a chapter or so in and I'm loving it. Very interesting... Would be a good pair with Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker. Gives history on the creation of Morgan Stanley; talks about the transformation of investment banks on Wall Street in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. I hope it continues to be this good! For a $1 buy a Dollar Tree...a big win.
Joseph
The book discusses the rise of the investment bank through the hard work and integrity of white-collar individuals. The drama is created by the turmoil of the Dean Witter merger under Phil Purcell. After turmoil at the top, a hero arrives in the form of veteran FID trader John Mack to return the bank's culture and performance to its roots.
Joelene
Oct 10, 2007 Joelene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will be starting this book shortly. Jim bought this and I initially wrote it off as a boring business book. But who am I to judge, as I discovered once I read the cover flap, I am not one to resist a story about a good scandal and shake up - even in the boring business world.
Aaron
Only an MS employee could enjoy this one, but I did. Nice history of the firm and interesting depiction of the battle for control that occurred at the time of my arrival at the firm. Seems a bit tame of an episode in light of the '08 crisis.
Pin Zhou
Sep 23, 2012 Pin Zhou marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Guess reading resembles chain actions, too, you find one book interesting, and the interesting one leads to more in its league.
Nathan
This is a must read finacial thriller for anyone in the retail brokerage/investment banking industry.
Chris Abel
If you have any interest in investment banking, finance, or Wall Street intrigue, this book is for you.
Rahulkrishna
I read this book.Pretty mediocre.Didnot like it
Anitauf
Feb 19, 2008 Anitauf marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this book.
Dinesh Kumar
Dinesh Kumar marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Patrick Agemian
Patrick Agemian marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Will Wittler
Will Wittler marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Daniel Alberto Cañas
Daniel Alberto Cañas marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Chase Ross
Chase Ross marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Moises
Moises marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 02, 2015
Manuel García
Manuel García marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Shilpi Sinha
Shilpi Sinha marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Olga Melissa
Olga Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
- marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Last Tycoons: The Secret History of Lazard Frères & Co.
  • Last Man Standing: The Ascent of Jamie Dimon and JPMorgan Chase
  • In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington
  • A Colossal Failure of Common Sense: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Lehman Brothers
  • Why Globalization Works
  • Infectious Greed: How Deceit and Risk Corrupted the Financial Markets
  • Crash of the Titans: Greed, Hubris, the Fall of Merrill Lynch, and the Near-Collapse of Bank of America
  • Street Fighters: The Last 72 Hours of Bear Stearns, the Toughest Firm on Wall Street
  • Goldman Sachs: The Culture Of Success
  • The Sellout: How Three Decades of Wall Street Greed and Government Mismanagement Destroyed the Global Financial System
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • The Perfect Store: Inside eBay
  • Confessions of a Wall Street Analyst: A True Story of Inside Information and Corruption in the Stock Market
  • The Buyout of America: How Private Equity Will Cause the Next Great Credit Crisis
  • Fatal Risk: A Cautionary Tale of Aig's Corporate Suicide
  • Code Name Ginger: The Story Behind Segway and Dean Kamen's Quest to Invent a New World
  • Money Masters of Our Time
A Certain Summer After the Ball: Gilded Age Secrets, Boardroom Betrayals, and the Party That Ignited the Great Wall Street Scandal of 1905 Good Daughters: Loving Our Mothers as They Age Voice of the Wild: An Anthology of Animal Stories Growing Up Republican: Christie Whitman : The Politics of Character