Start by marking “Latina” as Want to Read:
Latina

Latina

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Memorable and moving fiction and thoughtful and provocative nonfiction--mainstream works by both well-known and emerging Latina writers--focus on themes of heritage, lives in an often alienating land, political concerns, hopes, and dreams. Contributors include Sandra Cisneros, Julia Alvarez, Ana Castillo, and others.
Published August 2nd 1995 by Touchstone (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Latina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latina

Jessie
This book is about Latina women writing about their own experiences being Latina in different societies. I found this book really interesting because I liked that it was about real encounters that these woman found themselves in and it was a way in which i could connect with the stories. For example, one essay written described the bonds that exist within a latino family and i could relate it to how my family works. I think that these essay's were very interesting and I am interested in reading ...more
Mariana
This collection really helps describe the roots of our Latina culture as first and second-generation women trying to find ourselves in the larger space. However, I'm jaded, and I feel established in my connections to my roots, so a lot of these stories felt like more of the same conversations being had in other anthologies. However, among some of the dry writing, I found plenty of chapters that appealed to me in their amazing writing style. Definitely worth a read.
Leez Matías
El lado femenino latino, del otro lado, dónde está el "sueño americano". Sin duda mi favorita es Juila Alvarez, con su fragmento de Snow.
Anna Mercado
It was a good book, short stories to read on break or lunch. I liked the way the book was broken up into three sections, The Past We Bring With Us, Our Land Our Lives, and Nuestra Politica.
I loved Facing the Mariachis by Alicia Gaspar de Alba and Only Daughter by Sandra Cisneros

I also have to say how happy I was to see so many Latina cultures represented in the book, not only the stories I related to but learned about.
Book Concierge
Anthology of Latina authors - some poignant, some angry. I didn't really enjoy or appreciate the political "lectures," but I found several of the selectionsintriguing enough to make me want to read more from those authors.
Maura
Oct 10, 2007 Maura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: grit
I loved this book. A friend once related this muriel rukeyser quote to me, "The universe is made of stories, not of atoms". yes it is. & It is good to know our sisters' stories. always.
Mireya
Reminds me that am not alone! The stories shared in this book have close connections to my real-life experiences. Always great to go back and read a story...Just Because.
Shannon
I unfortunately wasn't able to finish this before the Library came a callin'. Beautiful work. Important work. I may end up buying a copy for my own library.
I read this book after college trying to understand more of the Latin women's perspective since I have a strange desire to be a latina myself.
Alex
Worth owning for the Alicia Gaspar de Alba story alone.
Lorena Salguero
Lorena Salguero marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Ondine
Ondine added it
Jan 23, 2015
Eran
Eran marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Rheyma
Rheyma marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Kwanyin Chevry
Kwanyin Chevry marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Rosa Yvette
Rosa Yvette marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Stephanie C
Stephanie C marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Meghan Hochstetler
Meghan Hochstetler marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 11, 2014
Vane
Vane marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Daniellela94
Daniellela94 marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Chicano Periodical Index (Ch Pi): A Comprehensive Subject, Author, And Title Index For 1987 The Power of Language: Selected Proceedings from the Second Reforma National Conference The Chicana Studies Index: Twenty Years of Gender Research, 1971-1991 Chicano Periodical Index (Chpi): A Comprehensive Subject, Author and Title Index for 1992-93