Kingdom

Kingdom

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Deputy glanced down at the white man and then muttered, almost to himself. 'But how did a Westerner travel into Pemako in the first place?'

When the Abbot spoke, his voice was thin and resigned. 'It is the end of our monastery. By nightfall I will be dead and our walls will lie shattered. A terrible evil is coming from the forest...'

A monastery in Tibet is overrun with...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Pan Macmillan (first published 2009)

Gopal Iyer
The book caught my interest because it was based on Tibet. A problem prone and intriguing area geo-politically. The combination of Tibet and Shangri-La in 1 book; it was a given that I was gonna pick this one to read.

I expected something along the lines of adventure cum thriller, but it was a book that was deep in the mysticism, occult, black magic and shamanism. The expose on Shangri-La was much awaited through out the book, but when the characters reach the point we expect them to reach the my...more
Trine
Andronicus Kok
Kingdom by Tom Martin. A news paper editor is being detained as a spy in which her possession is a bone trumpet from Tibet. What does it mean? why is she getting such an item? Questions are raised as Nancy seeks out the man who sent her this item at the same time searches for him as he goes "Missing". Through her journey she discovers more shocking "Truths" of which the end has left me speechless and spell bound!! :)
Allan
As a tale of the hunt for the fabled city of Shangri-La in the Himalayas, this was pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. When it started to involve Nazis and the yeti, it started to get a little off the trolley.

That said, it's not a bad read but it could've done some decent action and perhaps a little sex to spice it up a bit.
Paul Reece
Though the plot my seen far fetched at the outset, Tom Martin nonetheless spins a gripping and intriguing tale that goes someway to convincing the reader. Wonderfully descriptive throughout, this novel falls on its sword drawing to a close, as it does, in far too hurried and abrupt a manner.
Nick
Mar 31, 2009 Nick added it
Tom Martin's "Kingdom" is a book about Shangri-La. In this book, a man and a woman go to Shangri-La in Tibet to pursue the knowledge of the ages. Are they successful? That's for you to find out!
Adri
Borrowed the Italian language version from the local library in an attempt to keep skills fresh. This was a case of "not worth reading," not "lost in translation."
Cris Cook
Mar 09, 2011 Cris Cook is currently reading it
Just started this as one of the 6 book challange 2011. It seems quite good so far but it's early days yet. I've a good feeling about this one.
Tim McIntyre
Good clean reading. Excellent and very fast.
Nupur Nagar
Nupur Nagar marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Kinan Arous
Kinan Arous marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
James Bowman
James Bowman marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Elena Alice
Elena Alice marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Shel
Shel marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Jasiyarasheed
Jasiyarasheed marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Johann Stassen
Johann Stassen marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Kokinh0
Kokinh0 is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2013
Jo Reason
Jo Reason marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013