Start by marking “Birds” as Want to Read:
Birds

Birds

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,562 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
Birds come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. Birds are magic. Birds are everywhere. If you listen very carefully you will hear them, no matter where you live. And if you look very closely you will see them, no matter where you are. And if you can't go outside right this minute, you can always read this book!
Published February 17th 2009 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds

Apr 01, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I just love this book. The illustrations are simple and match the text, but it is the text that just really captures the wonder and mystery of birds. I saw a review of this, and had to go out and get it right away. It was well worth it!
Maricor
Birds, by Kevin Henkes and illustrated by Laura Dronzek (2009)
Picture Book, 32 pages
Birds encourages pre-readers to explore colors, shapes, sounds, and sizes of birds. It also nudges younger ones to use their imaginations, whether it’s to visualize the birds in the clouds or lines they would leave if their tail feathers left flight patterns. Dronzek creates clear and vivid illustrations that are big and draw the eye to the focal point of each page. With his use of personification, imagery, and
Lisa Vegan
Jun 20, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is a book designed for the very young, for the preschooler. The cover didn’t wow me, but the first illustration with the robin and the pink flowers and the yellow curtains hooked me, and I enjoyed quite a few of the illustrations, but not all of them; some I didn’t appreciate much at all. However, though I was very disappointed when I noticed that Henkes did not do the illustrations for this book, it was the artwork that really made the book. The text is scanty, and although fine for young ...more
Lynn
Jan 08, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing
The absolutely perfect book for a toddler who is interested in birds. Beautiful, arresting words and pictures. I bought it for a friend and loved it so much that I had to buy it for myself.
Savannah
Feb 01, 2014 Savannah rated it it was amazing
Birds sing in the morning

Birds can be yellow, blue, red, brown, or even green, I think. Sometimes black.

Birds can be BIG or little. or any size in between.

Ever see birds on a telephone wire and the didn't move? They didn't move and they didn't move until you look away for a second… and they were gone.

My favorite part of the story:
"If birds made marks with their tail feathers when they flew, think what the sky would look like."
"If there are lots of birds in one tree and they all fly away at the
Katie Farver
Birds by Kevin Henke is a colorful, exciting book that depicts birds of all types. In this text the concepts of size, shape, and color are discussed, which are important for young children to learn about. Illustrator Laura Dronzek provided colorful, vibrant images that help to engage. This book can also show students the importance of celebrating uniqueness and individuality, much like how the birds’ unique features were celebrated.

The book Birds focuses on many concepts, including color. Stude
Muhuawu wu
Dec 05, 2014 Muhuawu wu rated it really liked it
《Birds》 is kind of a non-fiction picture book. I think that book is preparing for a younger reader because there are different color birds, there are color book under the picture of book and there are many bird in a line, kid can count it. I actually do like the illustration. The pink flower are so beautiful so true. In the front page, it says the acrylic paint were used to prepare the full-color art. Fascinated by the colors, shapes, sounds, and the movement of the many different birds she see ...more
Emily Nunez-Eddy
Dec 02, 2014 Emily Nunez-Eddy rated it really liked it
"Birds" by Kevin Henkes is exactly as it sounds -- a wonderful book about the wonders of birds, which come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. An informational nonfiction picturebook, Henkes exceeds in his delivery of the text, which includes the use of rhyming for an even more unique story. Throughout the book, children will be inclined to question and wonder about each bird, choose their favorite, and categorize them in different ways -- all strengthening their overall understanding of birds.
The
Vivian
Feb 26, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Who would have thought this simple book would be so fun to use in a library story time?

Before opening the book I asked the pre-school age children if a flamingo is a bird, a reptile, or an animal. (Yes, mammal is a more correct term but I said 'animal'.) They said it is a bird. I said, let's see if there's a flamingo in this book about birds. (YES).

There's a double-page spread where birds are pictured sitting on a telephone wire. The two performers had all the children stand up and pretend they
Emily Sirota
Birds was both illustrated and written by Kevin Henkes, is a non-fiction children's book that tells all about birds this is a story that children will love to read from front to back! This story teaches colors and other interesting facts about the birds both in general and in the book. The students will be intrigued by the bright colors of the birds and will want to keep reading due to the interesting facts. It is a fun story that can be read multiple times, and you can pair this book with a inf ...more
Madison Hays
Nov 30, 2014 Madison Hays rated it really liked it
Birds, written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes, is a non-fiction children's book that tells all about birds and the different colors, sizes and shapes they come in! It is a fun, educational story that children will love to read from front to back!

The illustrations are bright and done in pastels. Every color in the rainbow is exemplified throughout this educational story. The birds are all different which gives the story some individuality. The format of the story is very different; with birds pl
Morgan
May 29, 2016 Morgan rated it liked it
Shelves: lit-class
This is a cute and simple book of a young girl describing birds. She explores the mystery of birds, their colors, sounds, sizes and shapes. She tells us how she likes to pretend to be a bird. This book looks at and praises the uniqueness of each bird and then goes on to connect their uniqueness with the uniqueness of us. It’s a book that celebrates creativity and diversity, not just in humans but in animals as well. The illustrations are by Laura Dronzek and are done in acrylic paint. They are c ...more
Cricket Muse
Dec 25, 2013 Cricket Muse rated it it was amazing
Birds are everywhere. They are all sorts of sizes and all sorts of colors. This succinctly sums up Kevin Henkes’s new picture book simply entitled Birds. Even though there are scads of picture books about birds available on the market, Henkes’s entry is a standout. For one reason the illustrations by Laura Dronzek both blend with the text and stand out on their own. The soft, full-color acrylics outlined in black brightly fill the page and aid in exclaiming the wonders of birds. Henkes and Dronz ...more
Julia
Mar 12, 2013 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: kevin-henkes
This book describes what birds are like. They can be big, small, all different colors and they fly in flocks. They are everywhere in the summer, all but a few disappear for the winter, and during a rainstorm they always hide. There is a little girl who wishes she could fly like a bird even though she knows it is not possible. However, she is satisfied because even though she cant fly like a bird, she can sing like one. This would be a great book to use in a young elementary aged classroom while ...more
Elaine Bearden
Jan 07, 2010 Elaine Bearden rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting to write about this book for a long time. Funny, I found Bird, Lake, Moon, also by Henkes when I was searching for this title on goodreads. I'd forgotten that fantastic book, for a totally different audience. Bird, written by Henkes and illustrated by Laura Dronzek, who happens to be his wife, is amazing. From the amazing vibrant colors (I thought they were oil pastel at first, but they are actually acrylics), the reader is drawn to the page. The bold strokes catch the eye. The ...more
Linda
What a sweet book for young children, including many basic things about birds, like colors. There are also some fun surprising things, like if a group of birds are sitting still on a line, and then if you look away for only a minute, they're gone when you look back! It's poetic, too. Henkes writes: "Sometimes in winter,/a bird in a tree/look like one red/leaf left over." And "If clouds were birds/the sky would look like this." And the illustrations are softly done, colorful when needed.
Danielle Harriger
Sep 03, 2012 Danielle Harriger rated it really liked it
PB 38: This book had many positive features that I think would make it a perfect read aloud for young children. The book introduces different colors of birds which allow children to learn in a fun, informal setting. Also, the different sized fonts that match the words “BIG” and “little” give visual representations about what words mean, which is beneficial for children. Also, the book allows children to imagine different ideas such as what the sky would look like if birds made marks with the fea ...more
Julie Barrett
Apr 23, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Birds by Kevin Henkes
Colors, shapes and sounds of the many birds the little girl finds they share something in common.
Starts out with the birds singing, and all different colors. Shapes are different also.
She wonders what the clouds would look like if they used feathers for clouds in the sky.
As this is an audio book they also describe what they see. Like how it ends.
Ann Cox
This book is a study of birds from a very young child's point of view. Readers are introduced to bird colors, habits, and how people are similar and different from birds. This book, with its simple text, bright illustrations, and discussion of bird behavior that even a very young child could recognize, would be a wonderful one to share with babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. I can imagine using it for a baby or preschool story time or program.
McKenzie
Apr 24, 2016 McKenzie rated it liked it
Birds by Kevin Henkes is about how birds are everywhere and they come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors. If you are outside you will be able to either hear or see birds of many varieties. If you are not outside you can still sometimes see them from the window or hear them. Very cute picture book about birds for small children and the colorful pictures will also attract young readers to want to read this book and learn about birds!
Joy
May 16, 2016 Joy rated it liked it
This is one of the unusual Kevin Henkes books which was not actually illustrated by Henkes.

This book is a bit abstract (which complements the artwork) and the text has a poetic feel. It's almost like "portraits of birds." You have a few pages talking about birds on a wire, a spread about a lone red cardinal in a bare winter tree and a few more pages about all the birds suddenly flying out of a tree. I could see this being used for discussion in a classroom.
Brittany May
Oct 25, 2012 Brittany May rated it it was amazing
Review: This is a very colorful book, and that to me is amazing. You can't find many books nowadays for young readers that have bright, vivid pictures presented within a short-story text like this. It might be my personal love for the rainforest speaking, but the different breeds of birds in the book brought out other illustrations to me that I could put together in my mind and create a whole separate story. This being said, any little kid will enjoy this book due to it's amazing illustrations.

S
Rosa Cline
May 07, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a beautifully simple storybook about birds. My 3 year old granddaughter and I enjoyed each page the writing and the illustrations together. In addition to the story we used Some pages to learn counting, others her colors, used our imaginations with the illustrations etc. A nicely written book describing various birds.
Kylie Hodgson
Dec 06, 2014 Kylie Hodgson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this Kevin Henkes book. This book is a little different from the rest in that it is very brightly colored and some of his other books about mice aren't as brightly colored. I really enjoyed the illustrations throughout the story and I love the technique used my Kevin when he creates his works of art.
Maggie
Sep 07, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
So glad St. Charles County Parks has the Quail Ridge Book in the Park program. Great way to introduce children and adults to great picture books. I wasn't familiar with this Kevin Henkes book and was able to read it as I walked around the pond. Pictures in this book are delightful and perfect for sharing.
Kris Odahowski
Mar 11, 2015 Kris Odahowski rated it really liked it
"In the morning, I hear birds singing through the open window." Kevin Henkes invites young readers to observe the world around them. Laura Dronzek illustrations are vivid reminders of the beauty of birds, I enjoy sharing this one at story time.
Marissa García
Jan 04, 2012 Marissa García rated it liked it
Shelves: birds
Kevin Henkes is an author I am fond of, with his glorious canon of the Julius, Baby Of The World type. I'd meant to use this title for storytime for some time, since its simpler concept and shorter length make it ideal for a read aloud for very young ones.

What I found was that, instead of the usual series of comparisons about all of the different forms birds can come in, it was a lovely collection of the sorts of thoughts real children may have - "If I were a bird, I'd ask where all the other bi
Siskiyou-Suzy
Very simple. Not blown away by it, but it allows a very simple, gentle approach to birds. I enjoyed naming some of the birds with the kids, though I didn't know all of them myself (and of course neither did they). The artwork is okay, but I'm not super into it. Just okay in general.
Jill
The striking colors in this book make it a joy to read. As well as offering an introduction to birds, it addresses colors, sizes, weather, and counting. (Preschool-Kindergarten)

Curriculum Connection: It would be a delightful springboard into sharing our talents through the use of similes: “I can sing like a bird!”

Citation: Henkes, K., & Dronzek, L. (2009). Birds. Greenwillow Books.

Reviews: ALA Notable Children's Books 2010, Horn Book starred 03/01/09, Book Links starred 03/01/09, Kirkus Rev
Arminzerella
This picture book introduction to birds will get readers interested in birds - how they look, where they live, what they do - and raises some interesting questions as well. Short and colorful and good for wiggly groups.
  • Waiting for Winter
  • How to Heal a Broken Wing
  • Hello Baby!
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • A Penguin Story
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • No Two Alike
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Early Bird
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Leaves
  • Waiting for Wings
  • Farmyard Beat
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...