Start by marking “Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (#3)” as Want to Read:
Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (#3)

Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries #3)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,291 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
When she notices some bones missing from a dinosaur skeleton exhibited in the museum, a young girl with a photographic memory tries to discover who has been taking them and why.
Published October 1st 1997 by Puffin (first published April 27th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones

A
Nov 29, 2008 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cam Jansen realizes that three bones on a dinosaur model in a museum are missing and sets out to solve the mystery.

Ages 8-12

Cam Jansen's real first name is Jennifer, but her friends call her Cam because of her photographic memory. When she takes a mental picture, she says "click". In this story, part of a large series of mysteries, Cam and her friend Eric are touring a natural history museum. Cam remembers that one of the dinosaurs had more bones in its tail the last time she visited. The tour g
Apr 20, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original Cam Jansen series follows the exploits of 10-year-old 5th grader Jennifer "the Camera" (aka "Cam") Jansen and her best friend, classmate, and neighbor Eric Shelton. Cam got her nickname because of her photographic memory. All she has to do is say "Click," and Cam can remember everything she's seen, which comes in pretty handy when trying to solve mysteries.

David Adler has written several beginning chapter book series, but Cam Jansen is one of the earliest and most successful. He's b
Robert Beveridge
David A. Adler, Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Scholastic, 1981)

Straightforward early-grade mystery that's about as complex as an Encyclopedia Brown story, but takes up a good deal more space; one wonders at the expansive real estate. Still, mystery novels for kids were not a huge commodity back in the eighties (before the term “chapter books” had come about to describe this category of kidlit), and as with any vertical-market application, authors could get away with more, whi
T
Jan 01, 2015 T rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read, 2015
Woohoo! It's only January 1st and I've already read a book!

Ok, I have to admit it's a chapter book and I've read it before (but not since 2nd grade). So, should it still count? Sure, why not?

I showed my 7 year old niece her mom's autographed(!) copy (the author visited our elementary school) and she asked if I could read it to her and, of course, I obliged.

Here are some thoughts while I read this out loud:
- This is the only book I read in the series, but Cam Jansen's red hair and signature "Cl
Jessica Miller
Mar 28, 2015 Jessica Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book! The main characters, Cam and Eric, are friends who seem to get involved with a lot of mysteries together. Cam's name is actually Jennifer but they call her Cam, short for 'The Camera". She got this nickname because she takes pictures of everything with her mental camera and says "click" as she is taking these mental pictures. In this book, Cam and Eric go on a class field trip to the Kurt Daub Museum with their fifth grade class. They travel around the museum ...more
Anne
Mar 29, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bethany Sutherland
Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones is a book about Cam, a girl who has photogenic memory, and her friend, Eric. Together they solve mysteries. This mystery was about missing dinosaur bones. Cam and Eric went on a field trip with their class and Cam noticed there were three missing bones from the last time she saw the dinosaur. She took it into her own hands to solve the mystery without the help of anyone besides Eric.

I liked this book because it is a mystery book. I remember when I
Laura Verret
Cam Jansen and her friend, Eric Shelton, are excited to be visiting the Kurt Daub Museum. It’s not their first trip there, but every trip is exciting – and the best part of all is the dinosaur exhibit! But as Cam studies the fossil of a Coelophysis, she realizes that something is wrong – some of the bones are missing!

Can Cam find the bones before they are used for some ill purpose?

Discussion.

Cam Jansen doesn’t used deductive reasoning to help her solve her cases. And she doesn’t spend all of her
Tiffany
Jul 10, 2014 Tiffany rated it liked it
This story is about how Cam Jansen and her classmates visit a museum and she notices the dinosaur has missing bones! The book makes me feel adventurous and not afraid to ask questions while being smart about it. Cam has photographic memory which is why she is able to compare with an earlier “photograph” of the dinosaur skeleton and note that it had missing bones! Cam and her friend Eric follow the clues to finding out who/what was behind the missing bones. The theme of the book is following your ...more
Lindsey Johnson
The Cam Jansen series is a great series for children taking the next step in learning to read. The sentences are short and simple enough for children to understand, and they have a good use of dialogue. I liked "The Mystery of Dinosaur Bones" because it provided a fun mystery that got me engaged and interested in figuring out the ending of the story. The mystery of the book will get students excited about reading and trying to figure out the mystery of who stole the dinosaur bones, and they will ...more
Julia Brumfield
I remember reading one of the Cam Jansen books when I was younger but I cannot put my finger on it. More than likely it was this one but again my memory won't place it.

Anyway it is a basic and short read that will be great as a step-up book. There are a few words that may end up causing problems but with the dinosaur names at least there is a pronunciation guide for those who don't know them. Otherwise word-wise there shouldn't be much other problems.

There isn't much of a plot or background t
Dolly
May 04, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a reread for us. Our girls picked this one out and I thought it would be worth a second read. We'd read the Cam Jansen Double Mystery #1 more than two years ago, and I was pretty sure our girls wouldn't remember the story. It's an entertaining story and I like that Cam and Eric solve the mystery; I don't like that they go off without parental supervision and put themselves in danger. Still, it's just a story and the drama adds to the enjoyment of the tale.

Overall, it's a fairly typical
Kelly
Aug 02, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second young reader chapter book series that I have introduced to my 3.5 year old. He's hooked! He keeps sitting down with the book and pretending to read it. He was able to comprehend the story and it kept him engaged throughout (we read it all in one sitting! ). Will be reading again and looking for more in this series.

I also remember Cam from my childhood and I remember now how much fun her adventures were!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

A great mystery/detective series - a great novel for young children (easy to read). For those who like Harriet the Spy and Encyclopedia Brown.
Melissa Namba
I like the books that give the reader the opportunity to solve the crime. Thus one wasn't one of them, even though the culprit was obvious.
Tara Frye
Jan 28, 2015 Tara Frye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claudia
May 29, 2016 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
This series is very formulaic...even my 7-year-old got bored after a couple of them.
Julie
Mar 28, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book left me wanted more and more mystery. This plotline had much action and a thrilling series of events. I liked this book because Cam is a relatable character. I can see other children that I have never who are just like her. I think Cam would be a great role model for little children. She always does the right then and wants to help others. I would use this in a future classroom to talk about heroes. I think children should learn about heroes and what is right and wrong at a young age s ...more
Denee
Oct 16, 2014 Denee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juniors
Fun book. This book has the perfect co
mbination of suspense and morals all wrapped up in a plot kids love...dinosaurs
Superreader300
Sep 10, 2014 Superreader300 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first chapter book! I want to read more Cam Jansen books now.
Kaytee
Apr 22, 2015 Kaytee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cam was going to a mueasm then she saw one of the bones were missing.
Lila Olsen
Jan 09, 2015 Lila Olsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cam's plan to solve the case certainly led to no disgrace.
Gemma Lamb
I love all of the Cam Jansen books!!!!!
Abby
Apr 07, 2015 Abby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not the authors best work.
Eric
May 26, 2016 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
So predictable.
Kim
Dec 27, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was recently asked to make a list of ten books that made a long-standing impression on me. The Cam Jansen mysteries were on that list, so 25 years after reading them I decided to give one another try. Definitely not as thrilling now as when I was kid, but I'm still jealous of Cam's photographic memory and the fact that her best friend in school is a boy! :-)
Jennifer Danko
Jun 07, 2010 Jennifer Danko rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
A fun adventure book for second grade students, this easy read will capture student’s attentions that are learning to read. The illustrations allow for further development of the imagination while reassuring the student they are reading correctly. Cam’s adventures test her friendship with Cam and her will to solve mysteries. Children between the ages of seven and ten will appreciate Cam’s need for adventure.
Andd Becker
Jan 25, 2014 Andd Becker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Cam Jansen concept!
Keith
Mar 26, 2009 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little girl is a bit annoying, and has some whack friends who follow her blindly into danger just because she has a photographic memory. Her dad is always propping her up on a pedestal for having such a great memory when he should really be disciplining her for always snooping around in other people's business and trespassing. This book is alright though, it's got dinosaur bones in it.
Samantha Glasser
I've always loved mysteries, so when our class went to the library to check out some books and I saw this series on the shelf, I snapped them up one by one. I thought the concept of a girl with a photographic memory was so cool and imagined how I could use that skill in my own life. Unfortunately, I never developed that ability, but I remember these books fondly.
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Horrible Harry and the Dead Letters
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Boo...and I Mean It! (Junie B. Jones, #24)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Field Day from the Black Lagoon
  • I Hate Rules!
  • Henry and Mudge and the Best Day of All (Henry and Mudge, #14)
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...

Cam Jansen Mysteries (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Gold Coins (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #5)
  • Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Circus Clown (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Carnival Prize (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #9)
  • The Mystery at the Monkey House (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Corn Popper