Start by marking “Alvin Ho Collection: Books 1 and 2: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things and Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters” as Want to Read:

Alvin Ho Collection: Books 1 and 2: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things and Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho #1-2)

ALSC Notable Children's Recordings

Allergic to Girls, School and Other Scary Things

Alvin Ho is an Asian American second grader who is afraid of everything–elevators, tunnels, girls, and, most of all, school. He’s so afraid of school that, while he’s there, he never, ever, says a word. But at home he’s a very loud superhero named Firecracker Man, a brother to Calvin and Anib
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 23rd 2009 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Alvin Ho Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alvin Ho Collection

Kate
Jan 31, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Seven-year-old Alvin Ho is afraid of everything. Everything! School, heights, his piano teacher, camping... you name it, Alvin's afraid of it. But with the help of his family and friends, he can make the best of it all. Lenore Look draws a diverse and realistic cast of characters; I love the focus on Alvin's siblings in particular. I feel like a lot of children's authors either overlook or glamorize the role that siblings play in kids' lives. Calvin, Alvin, and Anibelly are one of the most reali ...more
Jess
Mar 29, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
Alvin Ho has quickly become one of my favorite series to give to kids who are branching out into chapter books and looking for something funny (if people out there don't think these books are funny, I don't want to meet them). I read the second installment shortly after it came out, but never got around to reading the first book until I had the audio version in my hands. I'll admit, the wacky narrator photo sold me on it. I wanted to hear that kid's interpretation of Alvin ("that kid" being Ever ...more
Matthew
May 04, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
Everett Plenn, the reader of this story, was a bit hurried in his delivery, but it read true to the character having a child read the books. Alvin Ho is a pretty good series for the Junie B. Jones crowd. He's young, thinks with a child's rationality, and gets himself and his family into humorous hijinks. The not-talking-in-school thing is different, but Lenore Look holds true the whole afraid of everything angle fairly well. Alvin is a very identifiable character, even if he doesn't resemble man ...more
Elizabeth
May 13, 2010 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Alvin Ho is an extremely articulated 2nd grader with an unlimited capacity for fear! The first story deals with his fear issues with girls and school while the second explores his fear of camping.
A child actor narrator was used in this audio book, which doesn't usually work for me, but here he captures the spirit of a precocious 2nd grader perfectly.
I probably wouldn't have read the second book if it wasn't part of the same recording as the first. While I liked Alvin fine, I wasn't that interest
Mandy
Apr 04, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
I bought this series for my elementary school library when trying to answer the request for "funny" books. After I couldn't keep them on the shelves, I decided I had to read them for myself. Alvin is a relatable narrator, who is in full acceptance of his quirks and his fears. His adventures at school and around the neighborhood are described so vividly it really feels like you are there. The camping trip in book 2 was especially memorable. The audio version is very well done, with lots of emotio ...more
Susan  Dunn
Eh. This was OK. I read it on the recommendation of a coworker who said it was really funny. I thought it was cute, but Alvin kind of annoyed me too. He is a very wimpy little kid who's afraid of everything - to the point where he never talks at school. His escapades are somewhat funny, and little boys would probably enjoy more them more than I did. Would make a good booktalk for younger grades however.
Bruce
Apr 24, 2010 Bruce rated it really liked it
Second grader Alvin wishes he had the self-confidence of his older brother, or his younger sister, Anibelly, or the town hero, Henry David Thoreau. Alvin lives in Concord, Massachusetts, a hard place to spell, plus it just full of dead authors who still live there. He knows that he “comes from a long line of brave Chinese farmer-warriors.” And so he decides to outwit his fears with careful planning and a PDK, a Personal Disaster Kit.

Mary Peterson
Mar 24, 2010 Mary Peterson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I'm afraid to say how much I love Alvin Ho and will cry (because it feels very good to cry) when Alvin grows up and there are no new Alvin Ho books. Fortunately for me that won't happen right away. Charming and laugh-out-loud hilarious. Lenore Look has a very special talent---which is probably in her ears because the dialog and phrasing is just right.

A note on the audio: Everette Plen was the perfect choice to read these books. Thank you Listening Library.
Dana
Aug 08, 2010 Dana rated it liked it
Cute book about a second grader who has some social anxiety. He isn't able to speak at school, though he can at home and with his family. Cute. My favorite part is the colorful Shakespearean cursing that the family is a fan of.
Elizabeth
May 18, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
"School is not scary, girls are awesome and camping is the best" but we still enjoyed this carpool book. It was fun to have one set in America since it seems most of the library books on cd are set in England!
We all laughed out loud a few times and it was fun that the book was read by a kid.
Cynthia
Aug 11, 2009 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
We love to listen to books on tape in the car as we spend a lot of time driving. It is hard to find books that will appeal to my daughter (8) and my sons (6 and 3). They all really enjoyed these two books. The topics really hit home with them.
Linda
May 28, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
I know the kids love these books, but....
Blessing
Sep 19, 2015 Blessing rated it it was amazing
Fantastically written from an awesome 2nd graders point of view.
Rebecca Plaza
Sep 05, 2010 Rebecca Plaza rated it really liked it
laughed our butts off listening to this with my sons last winter.
Alvin Ho is comical yet with real foibles. So, so silly.
Lucy Zheng
Jan 21, 2010 Lucy Zheng rated it liked it
Alvin ho is about a boy that is allergic to girls schools...
I like the part that alvin yelled at a girl you are a stupid girl! Alvin is a funny boy.
Akilah
Nov 02, 2010 Akilah rated it really liked it
This was so fun to listen to. Alvin is super funny and the narrator does a fantastic job.
Amber
Sep 10, 2010 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
Cute book although not being the target audience, I found it to be a little repetitive and unrealistic. Enjoyable to listen to, especially with the young narrator.
Renée Doiron
Jun 15, 2012 Renée Doiron rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My boys, aged 6 and 8 LOVED this audio book. It helps that it was narrated by a young boy I'm sure, but the subject matter is perfect for this age group. Highly recommended. Girls stink. :)
Diana Pettis
Jul 03, 2011 Diana Pettis rated it it was amazing
Listened to this in the car on the way to PA. My boys loved it and could really relate to Alvins troubles.
Courtney Nathan
Courtney Nathan rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Grace driver
Grace driver rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Edward Trần
Edward Trần rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Asti Dhiya A
Asti Dhiya A rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Ms.
Ms. rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Eve Lee
Eve Lee rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Megan G.
Megan G. rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Jody Lewandowski
Jody Lewandowski rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Nanette Watson
Nanette Watson rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
I first began making picture books in kindergarten because my other career option at the time was stealing. But a life of crime requires practice and patience, neither of which I had, so I settled into industry, making what I coveted but what my parents could not afford to buy: beautiful books like the ones my teacher read to us in school.

Publishing was no problem in those days, not like it is no
More about Lenore Look...

Alvin Ho (6 books)
  • Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes (Alvin Ho, #3)
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5)
  • Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions (Alvin Ho, #6)