Start by marking “Alvin Ho Collection: Books 1 and 2: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things and Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  20 reviews
ALSC Notable Children's Recordings

Allergic to Girls, School and Other Scary Things

Alvin Ho is an Asian American second grader who is afraid of everything–elevators, tunnels, girls, and, most of all, school. He’s so afraid of school that, while he’s there, he never, ever, says a word. But at home he’s a very loud superhero named Firecracker Man, a brother to Calvin and Anib...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 23rd 2009 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Alvin Ho Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alvin Ho Collection

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsAnna Hibiscus by AtinukeKira-Kira by Cynthia KadohataGood Luck, Anna Hibiscus! by AtinukeCharlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris Raschka
books about kids of colour
46th out of 123 books — 10 voters
An Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Wolves in the Walls by Neil GaimanJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Penderwicks by Jeanne BirdsallThe Bunnicula Collection by James Howe
Best Audiobooks for Kids
18th out of 87 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
Seven-year-old Alvin Ho is afraid of everything. Everything! School, heights, his piano teacher, camping... you name it, Alvin's afraid of it. But with the help of his family and friends, he can make the best of it all. Lenore Look draws a diverse and realistic cast of characters; I love the focus on Alvin's siblings in particular. I feel like a lot of children's authors either overlook or glamorize the role that siblings play in kids' lives. Calvin, Alvin, and Anibelly are one of the most reali...more
Jess
Alvin Ho has quickly become one of my favorite series to give to kids who are branching out into chapter books and looking for something funny (if people out there don't think these books are funny, I don't want to meet them). I read the second installment shortly after it came out, but never got around to reading the first book until I had the audio version in my hands. I'll admit, the wacky narrator photo sold me on it. I wanted to hear that kid's interpretation of Alvin ("that kid" being Ever...more
Mandy
I bought this series for my elementary school library when trying to answer the request for "funny" books. After I couldn't keep them on the shelves, I decided I had to read them for myself. Alvin is a relatable narrator, who is in full acceptance of his quirks and his fears. His adventures at school and around the neighborhood are described so vividly it really feels like you are there. The camping trip in book 2 was especially memorable. The audio version is very well done, with lots of emotio...more
Matthew
Everett Plenn, the reader of this story, was a bit hurried in his delivery, but it read true to the character having a child read the books. Alvin Ho is a pretty good series for the Junie B. Jones crowd. He's young, thinks with a child's rationality, and gets himself and his family into humorous hijinks. The not-talking-in-school thing is different, but Lenore Look holds true the whole afraid of everything angle fairly well. Alvin is a very identifiable character, even if he doesn't resemble man...more
Elizabeth
Alvin Ho is an extremely articulated 2nd grader with an unlimited capacity for fear! The first story deals with his fear issues with girls and school while the second explores his fear of camping.
A child actor narrator was used in this audio book, which doesn't usually work for me, but here he captures the spirit of a precocious 2nd grader perfectly.
I probably wouldn't have read the second book if it wasn't part of the same recording as the first. While I liked Alvin fine, I wasn't that interest...more
Yamini
Oct 14, 2014 Yamini is currently reading it
Adorable so far.
Mary Peterson
I'm afraid to say how much I love Alvin Ho and will cry (because it feels very good to cry) when Alvin grows up and there are no new Alvin Ho books. Fortunately for me that won't happen right away. Charming and laugh-out-loud hilarious. Lenore Look has a very special talent---which is probably in her ears because the dialog and phrasing is just right.

A note on the audio: Everette Plen was the perfect choice to read these books. Thank you Listening Library.
Bruce
Second grader Alvin wishes he had the self-confidence of his older brother, or his younger sister, Anibelly, or the town hero, Henry David Thoreau. Alvin lives in Concord, Massachusetts, a hard place to spell, plus it just full of dead authors who still live there. He knows that he “comes from a long line of brave Chinese farmer-warriors.” And so he decides to outwit his fears with careful planning and a PDK, a Personal Disaster Kit.

Susan P
Eh. This was OK. I read it on the recommendation of a coworker who said it was really funny. I thought it was cute, but Alvin kind of annoyed me too. He is a very wimpy little kid who's afraid of everything - to the point where he never talks at school. His escapades are somewhat funny, and little boys would probably enjoy more them more than I did. Would make a good booktalk for younger grades however.
Cynthia
We love to listen to books on tape in the car as we spend a lot of time driving. It is hard to find books that will appeal to my daughter (8) and my sons (6 and 3). They all really enjoyed these two books. The topics really hit home with them.
Dana
Cute book about a second grader who has some social anxiety. He isn't able to speak at school, though he can at home and with his family. Cute. My favorite part is the colorful Shakespearean cursing that the family is a fan of.
Renée Doiron
My boys, aged 6 and 8 LOVED this audio book. It helps that it was narrated by a young boy I'm sure, but the subject matter is perfect for this age group. Highly recommended. Girls stink. :)
Amber
Sep 15, 2010 Amber rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
Cute book although not being the target audience, I found it to be a little repetitive and unrealistic. Enjoyable to listen to, especially with the young narrator.
Lucy Zheng
Alvin ho is about a boy that is allergic to girls schools...
I like the part that alvin yelled at a girl you are a stupid girl! Alvin is a funny boy.
Diana Pettis
Listened to this in the car on the way to PA. My boys loved it and could really relate to Alvins troubles.
Akilah
This was so fun to listen to. Alvin is super funny and the narrator does a fantastic job.
Emily
A unique likeable and scared character. Can't wait to read more.
Boston
I think this gives boys a bad reputation!
Linda
I know the kids love these books, but....
Leanna
Aug 11, 2010 Leanna marked it as to-read
i love it
Gayle Jensen
Gayle Jensen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I first began making picture books in kindergarten because my other career option at the time was stealing. But a life of crime requires practice and patience, neither of which I had, so I settled into industry, making what I coveted but what my parents could not afford to buy: beautiful books like the ones my teacher read to us in school.

Publishing was no problem in those days, not like it is no...more
More about Lenore Look...
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1) Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2) Ruby Lu, Brave and True Alvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4) Alvin Ho: Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes (Alvin Ho, #3)