The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)

The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Cam Jansen books are perfect for young readers who are making the transition to chapter books, and Cam is a spunky young heroine whom readers have loved for over two decades. Now the first ten books in the series have updated covers that bring new life to these perennial best-sellers. Old fans and new readers will love Cam's cool, modern look!

Published July 22nd 2004 by Puffin (first published April 27th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones

The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds by David A. AdlerThe High-Rise Private Eyes #1 by Cynthia RylantThe Birthday Mystery by David A. AdlerJudy Moody by Megan McDonaldJunie B. Jones Collection by Barbara Park
Best Series for Early Readers
15th out of 49 books — 18 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteCulloo by Murielle CyrAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Chapter Books for Young Girls
119th out of 226 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

A
Cam Jansen realizes that three bones on a dinosaur model in a museum are missing and sets out to solve the mystery.

Ages 8-12

Cam Jansen's real first name is Jennifer, but her friends call her Cam because of her photographic memory. When she takes a mental picture, she says "click". In this story, part of a large series of mysteries, Cam and her friend Eric are touring a natural history museum. Cam remembers that one of the dinosaurs had more bones in its tail the last time she visited. The tour g...more
The original Cam Jansen series follows the exploits of 10-year-old 5th grader Jennifer "the Camera" (aka "Cam") Jansen and her best friend, classmate, and neighbor Eric Shelton. Cam got her nickname because of her photographic memory. All she has to do is say "Click," and Cam can remember everything she's seen, which comes in pretty handy when trying to solve mysteries.

David Adler has written several beginning chapter book series, but Cam Jansen is one of the earliest and most successful. He's b...more
Robert Beveridge
David A. Adler, Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Scholastic, 1981)

Straightforward early-grade mystery that's about as complex as an Encyclopedia Brown story, but takes up a good deal more space; one wonders at the expansive real estate. Still, mystery novels for kids were not a huge commodity back in the eighties (before the term “chapter books” had come about to describe this category of kidlit), and as with any vertical-market application, authors could get away with more, whi...more
Anne
Tiffany
This story is about how Cam Jansen and her classmates visit a museum and she notices the dinosaur has missing bones! The book makes me feel adventurous and not afraid to ask questions while being smart about it. Cam has photographic memory which is why she is able to compare with an earlier “photograph” of the dinosaur skeleton and note that it had missing bones! Cam and her friend Eric follow the clues to finding out who/what was behind the missing bones. The theme of the book is following your...more
Dolly
May 04, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a reread for us. Our girls picked this one out and I thought it would be worth a second read. We'd read the Cam Jansen Double Mystery #1 more than two years ago, and I was pretty sure our girls wouldn't remember the story. It's an entertaining story and I like that Cam and Eric solve the mystery; I don't like that they go off without parental supervision and put themselves in danger. Still, it's just a story and the drama adds to the enjoyment of the tale.

Overall, it's a fairly typical...more
Kelly
This is the second young reader chapter book series that I have introduced to my 3.5 year old. He's hooked! He keeps sitting down with the book and pretending to read it. He was able to comprehend the story and it kept him engaged throughout (we read it all in one sitting! ). Will be reading again and looking for more in this series.

I also remember Cam from my childhood and I remember now how much fun her adventures were!
Julie
This book left me wanted more and more mystery. This plotline had much action and a thrilling series of events. I liked this book because Cam is a relatable character. I can see other children that I have never who are just like her. I think Cam would be a great role model for little children. She always does the right then and wants to help others. I would use this in a future classroom to talk about heroes. I think children should learn about heroes and what is right and wrong at a young age s...more
Kim
I was recently asked to make a list of ten books that made a long-standing impression on me. The Cam Jansen mysteries were on that list, so 25 years after reading them I decided to give one another try. Definitely not as thrilling now as when I was kid, but I'm still jealous of Cam's photographic memory and the fact that her best friend in school is a boy! :-)
Jennifer Danko
A fun adventure book for second grade students, this easy read will capture student’s attentions that are learning to read. The illustrations allow for further development of the imagination while reassuring the student they are reading correctly. Cam’s adventures test her friendship with Cam and her will to solve mysteries. Children between the ages of seven and ten will appreciate Cam’s need for adventure.
Andd Becker
Love the Cam Jansen concept!
Keith
This little girl is a bit annoying, and has some whack friends who follow her blindly into danger just because she has a photographic memory. Her dad is always propping her up on a pedestal for having such a great memory when he should really be disciplining her for always snooping around in other people's business and trespassing. This book is alright though, it's got dinosaur bones in it.
Samantha Glasser
I've always loved mysteries, so when our class went to the library to check out some books and I saw this series on the shelf, I snapped them up one by one. I thought the concept of a girl with a photographic memory was so cool and imagined how I could use that skill in my own life. Unfortunately, I never developed that ability, but I remember these books fondly.
Steph
oh my god! ever since i read this book many many years ago i have been captivated by the notion of a photographic memory, and i have attempted many a time to blink my eyes like cam to commit a scene to memory that i can file away and inspect later. wow, finding this on goodreads was a gem!
Deborah Harris
Dec 27, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a20, ar-3, a19
4 copies

AR Quiz No. 7606 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.8 - AR Pts: 1.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Natalie
I always loved Cam Jansen books as a kid, and it was fun reading one again. I think for me she came after Nate the Great and before Encyclopedia Brown. I would definitely recommend this series to both boys and girls interested in mysteries.
Donna
I'm in the process of reading all my collection of children's books. I'm undecided on how to rate the books..from an adult or child's viewpoint..so I'm going to go with the adult viewpoint. Cam was just plain annoying and the "mystery" was silly.
Leslie
Cam's third mystery has her and Eric looking for lost dinosaur bones after visiting the museum. Cam's photographic memory has them biking across town in search of the thief.

Share this with: When Dinosaurs came with everything by Elise Broach.
Brittney Musick
When I was younger, this was one of my favorite series. Reading them now, they are pretty simplistic, but they were fun easy to read mysteries, and it's very enjoyable to share those same stories with my niece now.
Jewel
This was on a list of chapter books that supposedly encourage a love of reading in my young one's reading program. I read it to her a couple of chapters at a time. She was mildly interested. That is all.
Elisha and Elyssa
I learned that you should never pretend to be something you are not. I also learned that if you think someone seems suspicious, contact the police so they can check that person to make sure everything is ok.
Love Flowers
This is a well written and engaging thriller for school children.

This book is for sale on eBay:
Kidsbookworm
We have read all of the Cam Jansen books, and DD is proud of the letter that she received from David Adler. They are wonderful stories and lead a child to being a future mysteries reader.
Melissa Posten
Molly listens to these; I end up listening too. I like Cam, and the stories are good, but the way the narrator says "cah-LICK!" when Cam uses her mental camera makes. me. crazy.
Erika
Meh. It was fine, Sophia enjoyed it, I think it was pedagogically useful (how to think about a mystery), but thanking God there are only 27 in the series.
Anna
There's three missing dinosaur bones and somebody takes them and is going to pretend that they found them. Cam Jansen finds them and tells the police.
Savannah Shields
This is a good book to help readers get involved in a story. Mysteries help get the children thinking and analyzing what could be the solution to the problem.
Moonlight
I think Cam Jansen is a very good series. I like that Cam's memery helps every mystory. Did you read when she was litter? Cam's best friend is Eric Shelton.
Tommy
This was a book about dinosaur bones at a museum and how even though you are not allowed to take actual pictures you can take mental pictures in your head.
Lisa
I liked that they were at a museum and looking at dinosaurs. I learned that I learned about a new species of dinosaurs that I didn't know about before.
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Horrible Harry and the Kickball Wedding
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Boo...and I Mean It! (Junie B. Jones, #24)
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then-...more
More about David A. Adler...
The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1) The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2) The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4) The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14) Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)