Start by marking “Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)” as Want to Read:
Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)

Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House #11)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  6,701 ratings  ·  204 reviews
Jack and Annie are whisked off to the vast plains of Africa, where they must solve Morgan le Fay's third magical riddle. But that's only the beginning! Once the riddle is solved, they still have to get past a pride of lions, a humongous herd of rampaging wildebeests, and one very hungry Masai warrior. ...more
Published January 12th 1998 by Random House Children's Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lions at Lunchtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lions at Lunchtime

A Perfect Time for Pandas by Mary Pope OsborneNight of the New Magicians by Mary Pope OsborneSummer of the Sea Serpent by Mary Pope OsborneLeprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope OsborneEve of the Emperor Penguin by Mary Pope Osborne
Magic Tree House
24th out of 56 books — 48 voters
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6 by Charles M. SchulzThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 2 by Charles M. SchulzYukon Ho! by Bill WattersonThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1 by Charles M. SchulzThe Unusual Suspects by Michael Buckley
If you like these books you are cool
8th out of 132 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 01, 2013 Blake added it
“Lions at Lunchtime” by Mary Pope Osborne is the eleventh book in the Magic Treehouse Series. The books starts off like all of the others were Jack and Annie are going into the treehouse and pick a book to go to. They get to Africa and see a gazelle running into the woods. The gazelle leads them to Morgan and she gives them a riddle to solve. “I’m the color of gold and as sweet as can be. But beware of the danger that’s all around me. What am I?” So then they take off into the African safari in ...more
Bryce Akey
I enjoyed reading “Lions at Lunchtime.” It was about two kids named Jack and Annie. Jack and Annie are playing outside when a gazelle runs through their yard. They chase after it and it leads them to the tree house. Morgan is there waiting for them, and gives them their riddle. After reading the riddle, they end up in Africa. Jack and Annie are both amazed by the desert and all of the animals. As a bird flies past them, Annie decides to chase it. Jack chases after her and stops her. As they are ...more
This is a good idea to think of the people that did it is a good person
Brandon Loehrke
“Lions at lunchtime” starts off like every other Magic Tree House book. It starts off when Jack and Annie follow a gazelle that runs through their woods to the magic tree house. Morgan is that the tree house waiting to give them their riddle for the next adventure. To solve the riddle Jack and Annie find themselves in Africa. Annie finds this bird and decides she wants to follow it. It leads her and Jack to a beehive. As they are heading back to the treehouse to go back home, Jack spots a groups ...more
Sarah Sammis
Lions at Lunchtime by Mary Pope Osborne is the third of the four riddles and 11th in the Magic Tree House Series. Jack and Annie have their third scroll riddle to solve. It takes them to Kenya where they see zebras, wildebeests, hyenas and lions. They also meet a Masai warrior.

The book is full of interesting facts about the animals and the life cycle around the waterhole. The riddle this time is also focused on the animals of the area.

Like the previous two riddles, the answer will be obvious to
I loved this one. My dad went to Africa when I was about Annie's age, so a story about all of the animals I've loved since then was very cool for me. I loved when they arrived and a giraffe was looking in the window of the Magic Tree House! The picture that accompanied this moment was really nice, showing all of the wonderful animals on the plain and their relative sizes compared to the giraffe.

It was cool when the book told the kids about how the animals and their diets are all connected. One
I have always wanted to go to Africa and finally got to with Jack & Annie, my awesome friends who help Morgan through the use of her magic tree house. Lions and zebras and giraffes, oh my! Hyenas, gazelle and wildebeest, oh dear! So many animals, its just like being on a safari. And best of all, a honey bird!! Or was the best thing the Masai warrior? Or maybe the honey? It could be the riddle. But no, the best thing was the Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches. Yum! Only one more riddle left. ...more
Alyssa Caraballo
I thought the book was ok my favorite part was when Jack and Annie are being chased by a pride of lions and nearly being eaten before reaching the tree and heading home.

In the begging Jack and Annie hear the the magic tree house calling for them so they head off to the tree. When they get there they find that Morgan has left them a riddle to solve . The riddle is I'm the color gold and sweet as can be But beware of the danger around me. So the tree house sends them to Africa to find the answer.
This was one of the better in the series we've read so far. It had the kids on the edge of their seats the whole time, so excited to see what happens next.
The writing is so simplistic, I'm making Audrey read the first paragraph of each chapter to me. She is doing great and loving these books. I think this is probably one we will read again. Audrey and Briella loved the Elephant shower.
Maya Orama
This story is about a boy and girl going on a great adventure for the next ingredients . It was in the morning Jack and Annie got from the store to get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich . Annie found the magic tree house they climd up the ladder and went into the magic tree house their Morgan wrote a letter that said get an great ingredient they went on no found the book the magic tree house spun and spun in till it was absolutely quit then Jack and Annie got down the ladder all the animal were ...more
Rosa Cline
This is the eleventh book in the series of books the Magic Tree House. Although it is a chapter book my son and I sat and read it for about 30 minutes or so. Very interesting, keeping our attention. Just enough 'Science' to keep it educational but yet enough imagination in it to keep it fun too.

This was wasn't disappointing after enjoying the first one as much as we did. Each book apparently will have a 'guide' to the two children in the book but to the reader-listener it will give History less
Conan Tigard
In this eleventh installment of the Magic Tree House, it is the third book in the four part series solving four riddles for Morgan le Fay so the kids can become Master Librarians. I have always loved Africa and the animals that are still found there. I think all children are intrigued by lions roaming free over the land hunting whatever they please.

Lions at Lunchtime continues the wonderful story of Jack and Annie exploring the Earth in different times and locations.

This series is terrific for
Tomoya Sugiyama

6/28 = 30min. 6/29 = 35min.

sibling, Morgan,Africa, animals, lion, pinch!, lunch

Is your image of Africa same as this story or not? Why?/Why not?
A: Before "Yes", but now "No". Because I have gone to Africa in fact, you know.

This story is really close to me because I was in Uganda which is one of the countries of Africa. This story was an exaggerated a little bit. Of course there are some safari in there, but it is not all of Africa. That's why I gave
Jack and Annie go back to prehistoric times and have to solve a riddle that Morgan gave them. Annie gets stuck in a river, they have to scare off dangerous hyenas, they meet a Masai warrior, and figure out a way to get past lions. It helped improve our vocabulary because it exposed us to new experiences and a different culture. Yet it had enough familiar information that we could make good connections. It mixes in facts with fiction, so even people who prefer non-fiction might really enjoy this ...more
Amanda Carpenter
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

I decided on book 5 to start reading them aloud for my dogs enjoyment too. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen).

This book isn't really that
Nicole Harney
Summary: This magic tree house book starts like all the rest. Jake and Annie see a gazelle and chase after it into the woods to their magic tree house where they find Morgan. Morgan’s ready with a riddle to give them for their next adventure. Jack and Annie wind up in Africa trying to solve this riddle, “ I’m the color of gold and as sweet as can be. But beware of the danger that’s all around me. What am I?”. Annie like always runs off and tries to help every animal that needs help while Jack ke ...more
Eric Summers
The Magic Treehouse books belong in every classroom. They are short, easy to read books that pack a lot of learning and adventure into only a few pages. Even the most anti-reading students will grudgingly get through them, although they will never admit to liking it.

This entry in the series is about African wildlife in general, not just lions. Of course, the lions do make an appearance before all is said and done.

Great read-aloud, great for intro to Africa unit.
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Jack and Annie continue on their quest to become Master Librarians. They must solve this riddle on their Magic Tree House trip to Africa:

...I'm the color of gold and sweet as can be
But beware of the danger that's all around me.
What am I?...

This adventure is full of danger. Annie falls into quicksand and nearly gets pulled under. The children are stalked by a giant vulture. They have to deal with hyenas, elephants, wildebeests and zebras. They learn that zebras eat coarse grass so the wildebeests
It was about Jack and Annie trying to get a honeycomb. They got it and they were starting back when they were attacked by a lion. They got it and were heading for the treehouse. Then they got under a giraffe to protect themselves. Then the giraffe started heading for the treehouse. But the giraffe stopped. They were only about 3 feet from the ladder so they went up. The lion saw them and he swang but they were too high up.
I actually learned something new from this book! (I'm 23 and read A LOT haha)
The facts about animals in Africa were interesting. And I loved how Jack and Annie escaped the Lions :)
The Lions weren't j the story much, but I guess they made the title cuz Jack kept thinking about them the whole time :)
Great story part of a great series. Fans of The Magic Tree House would love it!
Trent Duskie
Good book about a brother and sister who go places when they are in their tree house. Broadens the imagination and takes students imagination with them when the go places. I really was able to follow this book because I love lions and how the act in the natural habitat.
It's the best book ever! And i m having fun with this. Mayby I'll just keep it. My favorite part was when Annie just got an elephant bath..Err... Don't write err there, OK. An elephant bath is when elephants pick up water in their trucks and spray it on people so they get nice and shiny.
Luna, 4 years old.
Jack and Annie end up in Africa on their quest to solve yet another riddle. The only lame part was the kids’ excitement when they discover how to make a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Still, Osbourne does a fine job making the book both fun and educational.

This one was cute. The riddle this time actually seemed to make sense and to be solve-able without having to first go on their adventure with them and find the necessary clues.

The animal facts were interesting and fun. And the adventures Jack and Annie get into here are exciting and somewhat more plausible than in some of the other books.

My favorite thing about this book was the connection that Jack and Annie drew between the way the honey guide and the Masai work together and what the
I didn't like it because it really fake and anyone who reads it knows it. I person don't think there parents should be letting there young kinds run off into the wood to some stupid tree house that is magical.
This was my first Magic Tree House experience and I cannot wait for more! What an awesome way for students to experience things without being able to travel! I cannot wait to read this during our animal unit!
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

“Yes,” said Jack. “But it was very close.” 2 likes