The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Fantasy and Science Fiction

The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Fantasy and Science Fiction

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A selection that brings together stories chosen to create a historical anthology.
Published June 29th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Locus Awards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locus Awards

Amy Peavy
"Bears Discover Fire" By:Terry Bisson. I first heard this story on the Drabblecast. They have a fantastic reading of it. Check it out http://www.drabblecast.org/2012/01/26...

"Buffalo" by John Kessel is a story about an intelligent laborer who Meets and converses with H.G. Welles. They seem to have a lot in common.

"Even the Queen" by Connie Willis is an irreverent feminist tale concerning one girls choice to have her mensis, and her families reaction to her choice.
"Gone" by John Crowley addresses...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/197044.html[return][return]This is a totally superb collection. OK, $15.95 for 500 pages paperback may seem a bit pricy, but the quality of the stories really justifies it. Of the 18 stories, I had read eight previously - the six that have won both Hugo and Nebula (as well as the Locus Award, a precondition for inclusion), and also Sterling's "Maneki Neko" and Le Guin's "The Day Before The Revolution". The other ten are all classics which I should have read years ago a...more
Tara
The first story wasn't particularly engaging, so it has taken me a long time to finish the book. Glad I stuck with it though, as there are several stand-out stories and the final story, a tribute to Ray Bradbury by Neil Gaiman, was probably the best.
A chunky book though, while you want to take the stories to read with you everywhere the hefty tome demands you stay in bed or on the couch to dedicate time to reading this collection.
Looking forward to more.
Althea Ann
Excellent collection. Of course, when you're aiming to select the best stories from the last 30 years, you're bound to get some good ones! I'd already read about half of them, which wasn't a bad ratio, and I only disliked a couple. The anthology really works as an overview and a retrospective of the genre - I'd recommend it highly to anyone who asked me, "So, why do you like SF, anyway?"

Contents:
The Death of Doctor Island • (1973) • Gene Wolfe
The Day Before the Revolution • (1974) • Ursula K. L...more
Jeff
The first story is one by Gene Wolfe, and this book is already worth the money--I'm not even done with the story yet. Very excited to read some good stuff...

----
Update: It's all pretty good stuff. The Harlan Ellison story was good, but pretty much a one-trick pony. I really enjoyed the LeGuin story (more than I've enjoyed either of the two novels of hers I've read), and the story about Saint Judas Iscariot, by George R.R. Martin was pretty much written for me. I'm only a fourth of the way throug...more
Toggedout
Some of these stories are really gripping: The Death of Doctor Island, Jefty is Five, The Persistence of Vision, Bloodchild, and Rachel in Love. Truly heart-rending and amazing. Most of the other ones, though, fall to the tired trope of "technology equals amazing, so read me", or "I'm on the cutting edge of sci-fi so I don't even have to be sci-fi anymore." Most of the unnamed (by me) stories in this collection reminded me of the hipster culture of Williamsburg, NY. Some were nifty, some were em...more
James
This took a few years to read but almost every story in this book is fantastic. There are only a few stinkers but that may be just a matter of opinion.

To me, the best science fiction stories are those that use technology/science/the future/etc to examine issues of human nature and this collection is replete with these type of stories (as opposed to those that use a science fiction setting for yet another action adventure).
Barney
A very strong anthology of high quality work. Unlike many anthologies there is little if any "filler" to be found here. Worth owning for the Ellison, Varley, Gaiman and Bisson stories. Gaiman's OCTOBER IN THE CHAIR is a loving homage to Bradbury that should not be missed. And for the record this got remaindered quickly and may currently be had for pennies on Amazon.
CJ Bowen
A couple of excellent stories, many enjoyable stories, a couple of mind-numbingly bad stories.

Highlights:

Duds:
Even the Queen - Connie Willis
Border Guards - Greg Egan
Desmond Rivet
A mixed bag. The Neil Gaiman one was mediocre. The George R. R. Martin one ("The Way of Cross and Dragon") was excellent, as was the one by Ted Chiang ("Hell is the Absence of God"). The Only Neat Thing To Do was pretty good too.
Natalie
This was such a great collection of science fiction short stories. I can see why they all won the Locus Award. My favorite stories in the collection were John Varley's "The Persistence of Vision" and George R. R. Martin's "The Way of Cross and Dragon". Fantastic read.
Emma Griffiths
A lot of variety and very different examples of the genre. I particularly liked The Death of Doctor Island, The Persistence of vision, The Only Neat Thing To Do and Even The Queen. Has been a while since I read a good compilation of short stories. Very American collection.
Fred
This was well worth the read. I believe that there were 18 stories in the book and of those only two or three dragged at all. A few of these really are wonderful and worth getting the book just for them alone (Harlan Ellison's story for example).

thordora
Nice collection of some fairly influential pieces. But, anything containing work from Octavia Butler is immediately in my good books.

Left it at the mental ward since all their books sucked. :)
Jeanne Burkhart
Overall, mostly really great short stories. Some are, as would be expected, really weird. It's nice that there are some good women authors--Octavia Butler, James Tiptree Jr, etc.
Graham Clements
Easily the best speculative fiction anthology I have read. Most of the stories are novella length and there is not a dull story among them. A fantastic read.
Traci Loudin
Some really neat stories and fresh ideas from several decades of great authors.
Deb
Wonderful short stories from many of my favorite Sci-Fi authors!
Brandon Patton
Now to finally get that subscription to Locus...
Kaethe
Nov 12, 2009 Kaethe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
must read "The Only Neat Thing to Do"
Fishsanwitt
Apr 12, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
stamped

Merged review:

catalogued
James
James marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Severa
Severa marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Morgan Wisheart
Morgan Wisheart is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Aug 13, 2014
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 5)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Nineteenth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Ravens in the Library - Magic in the Bard's Name
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space:
  • E Pluribus Unicorn
  • Other Worlds Than These
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Jack Vance Treasury
  • The Girl With No Hands (and other tales)
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Secret History of Science Fiction
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror, 1987: A Comprehensive Bibliography of Books and Short Fiction Published in the English Language (Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror) Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Horror, 1991: A Comprehensive Bibliography of Books & Short Fiction Published in the English Language Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror, 1990 (Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror) Alien Worlds Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror, 1986