Start by marking “Mission Control, This is Apollo: The Story of the First Voyages to the Moon” as Want to Read:
Mission Control, This is Apollo: The Story of the First Voyages to the Moon

Mission Control, This is Apollo: The Story of the First Voyages to the Moon

July 20, 1969, marked one of the climactic moments in our history?the day Apollo 11 landed on the moon. But it is only one piece of a magnificent story. Mission Control, This Is Apollo, by the acclaimed Andrew Chaikin (author of A Man on the Moon, basis of the HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon), recounts space history from the Mercury missions through Apollo 17 and ...more
Published May 28th 2009 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mission Control, This is Apollo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission Control, This is Apollo

Jill
Nov 01, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
A fantastic nonfiction book on the Apollo missions with a brief overview of the Gemini missions before it. Each Apollo mission includes a few-page detail of the mission, the astronauts' reactions, and beautiful paintings created by Apollo 12 astronaut Alan Bean. The book not only gives excellent facts (mission details including the astronauts, dates, and mission objective; illustration of the landing sites on the moon; details on the spacecrafts) but the writing helps express how awe-inspiring o ...more
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Mar 06, 2012 IndyPL Kids Book Blog rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the story of the Apollo space program. Apollo is the name NASA gave to the missions that put men on the moon.

The book is full of interesting (and funny!) stories about how the space program developed. If you read it you will find out how the scientists, engineers & astronauts figured out how to make everything work.

Since the author interviewed 28 astronauts, the book is full of inside stories based on their memories. Because the words are right from the astronauts you get a really pe
Ed
Dec 05, 2012 Ed added it
Chaikin, Andrew. (2009). Mission Control, This is Apollo: The Story of the First Voyages to the Moon. New York: Viking. 128 pp. ISBN 0-670-01156-8 (Hardcover); $23.99

Many of us recognize Alan Bean as one of the Apollo astronauts. Bean served as the Lunar Module Pilot on the Apollo Twelve mission, which landed on the moon in a prechosen location, an amazing scientific accomplishment and a first. Very few of us will think of Bean as an artist. However, after achieving the distinction of being the
Becky
Nov 17, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, youth, 2009
4 1/2 stars.
Having come of age during the Apollo era, I am always interested in a good moon book and I really liked this one.

I loved the clear organization of this beautifully designed, oversized book. After a brief overall introduction, each chapter is devoted to one of the Apollo space missions. Each mission begins with a prominent heading that includes the mission dates, the astronauts that flew the mission and the goal of the flight. The reader is struck immediately by how quickly one Apollo
Eli B
Dec 11, 2012 Eli B rated it really liked it
In July of 1969, one of the greatest moments in the history of mankind occurred. It was the day Apollo 11 landed on the moon. That is only a tiny bit of the incredible story. Mission Control, This is Apollo: The Story of the First Voyages to the Moon, by Andrew Chaikin talks about the history of man traveling into space and beyond. The book is illustrated with very cool pictures by Alan Bean, who has spent his life creating art to help people learn a little bit more about NASA. Something that m ...more
Mooboy
Jul 29, 2012 Mooboy rated it really liked it
Do you know where the saying “Houston we’ve had a problem” is from? If you answered the Apollo 13 mission, then you are correct. Do you also know where the saying “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind” is from? If you answered the lunar module Eagle landing, then you are correct again. I learned both of these sayings from the book Mission Control, this is Apollo.

This book is illustrated by the Apollo 12 astronaut Alan Bean. This book is nonfiction and is illustrated with
Donna
Nov 03, 2009 Donna rated it liked it
I think this is a good basic introduction to the Apollo space program and it's mission to land on and explore the moon. It's full of colorful paintings created by former astronaut Alan Bean, who took part in Apollo 12. I was intrigued by the interesting textures of the paintings (which can clearly be seen in the reproductions throughout the book) and then learned in a note at the end that Bean used plaster to create a rough surface to paint on, and then stamped replica space boots and space equi ...more
Trinity Y.
Jan 04, 2016 Trinity Y. rated it liked it
Shelves: g8-semester-2
Honestly speaking, this book shocked me. Shaped like a picture book, the pages never stopped giving me valuable information. Written by both an Apollo 12 astronaut and an author of several space books, this book shows the Apollo missions from the first to the seventeenth. I learned a ton of interesting facts through pages stocked with details about each Apollo mission. From reading this book, I was able to have a better understanding of the developments from day 1 to victory.
BillyAnn Stempel
This book is all about the space race and out Apollo program. It takes us through the various trials of spacecraft and training that goes into manning the spacecraft. It features various things that must be considered before sending people into space as well.

The illustrations are majorly compromised of photos.

I enjoyed this book. At times it felt as if it was an overwhelming amount of information on each page but I think it did a great job of covering a lot. This book would be a great resource
Leigh
Oct 30, 2014 Leigh rated it really liked it
Outstanding book about the Apollo missions. Well written and plenty of photographs and illustrations, kids will be fascinating by the challenges of space exploration.
Matt
Aug 24, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing
If you like this, adults and some kids may want to check out A Man on the Moon The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts by Andrew Chaikin, Apollo An Eyewitness Account By Astronaut/Explorer Artist/Moonwalker by Andrew Chalkin and Alan Bean Painting Apollo by Alan Bean
Patrick
Aug 27, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
i loved the book and you could not tell what was going to happen next
Christopher
Aug 27, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing
I love learning about astronauts so i loved this book.
Ian Overway
Jul 16, 2010 Ian Overway rated it it was amazing
YA Nonfiction Title
This is an excellent book that covers the history of the Apollo Mission from 1968 to 1972. This is an exciting book for those who like history, science, exploration, adventure oh and space travel. It if filled with not only the history of America's voyage to the moon but also give wonderful photographs as well as painting by Alan Bean (Apollo Astronaut & painter.) This book gives intricate knowledge of all the working of space travel from rockets, lunar modules, space suit
Abby Johnson
Dec 26, 2009 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
Each chapter deals with one of the Gemini or Apollo missions in the 1960s and 1970s in this detailed book about the United States's space program. Also included is information about the astronauts' lives in space. Detailed source list and index make this great for research. Interesting subject matter and tons of photos and paintings make this great for browsing, too. Recommended.

Read my full review on my blog: http://abbylibrarian.blogspot.com/200...
Michelle
May 16, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was well written in language that even I understood. The illustrations were done by Alan bean who was an actual Apollo astronaut. He adds comments and descriptions to go with each picture that adds insight that only an astronaut would have. I also really like the bonus information that appears in each chapter about a topic of human interested like "When you gotta go, you gotta go" You'll have to read the book to find out just how they did that.
The Library Lady
Jul 23, 2009 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Solid. But there have been a LOT of Apollo books during this anniversary of the moon landing summer, and there are several others that succeed better in being not only informative, but extremely entertaining, in particular Brian Floca'sMoonshot The Flight of Apollo 11
Katie Coci
Jul 12, 2010 Katie Coci rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful nonfiction book about the different Apollos and Astronauts. This book is jam packed with real pictures along with paintings. Anyone who is interested in Astronauts and space would fall in love with this book immediately. This book would be great to use with a space or planet unit in the classroom. This book is broken down into separate sections for each of the Apollos. This is a lengthy book that includes alot of information.
Katrina Kim
Mar 25, 2013 Katrina Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, science
Read this book when learning about space (moon)

Overall introduction of the Apollo space program. Apollo is the name NASA gave to the missions that put men on the moon.

Science related discussion:

* Astronauts (job/equipment)
* Gravity
* Oxygen
* Space/ planets
* Germs.

Extension: Describe and draw what it would be like to be a part on an apollo. Would you have fun? What are some things you need to survive in space?
Mandy
Jun 12, 2009 Mandy rated it really liked it
Among all the moon-landing books out there, this one stands out because of its personal touches: artwork and extended captions by Alan Bean and lots of "inside" info that the author collected through interviews with the astronauts and others. The book is very well organized, with just enough information about each of the Apollo missions and plenty of interesting "extras" (diagrams, maps, photos, notes, etc.).
Carrie
Mar 06, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book; it made the Apollo program seem so much cooler than the space shuttle missions that I grew up watching! It also really made me want to see us return to the moon and brought back memories of visiting Huntsville, Alabama and wanting to become an astronaut. Overall it was a great treatment of America's first manned space program, enjoyable for adults and children.
Allie
Oct 12, 2014 Allie rated it really liked it
Super fun book about the Apollo missions for older kids. One of the best parts is the illustrations are by Alan Bean, an actual Apollo astronaut. He gives them kind of weird captions, but they are really beautiful. I'd say this book is in league with Mark Kurlansky's World Without Fish.
Hannah
Feb 01, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
This book served its purpose - to provide a brief and basic overview of the US' exploration of the moon. I learned many things I didn't know (easy, since I knew basically nothing) and thought the book was totally approachable ... and pretty.
Mrs. Taylor
Great coverage of the 12 Apollo space missions, illustrated with paintings by astronaut Alan Bean. So, the question is -- what did Neil Armstrong really say? Check it out at Snopes -- http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall...

Gabriel
Feb 20, 2010 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, people who like space
Shelves: space
My book report about Mission Control, This Is Apollo!

There were 17 Apollo missions. The first man to walk on the moon was Neil Armstrong. Learning about going to the bathroom and eating in space was awesome!
Lisa
Aug 05, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: CapCh10-14
A fascinating look at the Apollo space program, which I grew up with, but knew little about. Alan Bean's annotated paintings add a unique element to the book.
Karla
Jan 16, 2010 Karla rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Absolutely gorgeous art painted by an astronaut who went to the moon! For that alone, I'd give this high marks.
Kathleen
Apr 19, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Review from library copy

Weird with some of the info in this one seeming to contradict Almost Astronauts :)
Melissa
Oct 01, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Wonderful. Made me want to watch The Right Stuff.
Hilary
Jul 29, 2009 Hilary marked it as to-read
Recommended at the BYU Symposium.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Franklin and Winston: A Christmas That Changed the World
  • Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings
  • Levi Strauss Gets a Bright Idea: A Fairly Fabricated Story of a Pair of Pants
  • Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors
  • Falling to Earth: An Apollo 15 Astronaut's Journey to the Moon
Award-winning science journalist and space historian Andrew Chaikin has authored books and articles about space exploration and astronomy for more than 25 years. Writer-director and explorer James Cameron (Titanic, Aliens of the Deep) called him “our best historian of the space age.”

Chaikin is best known as the author of A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts, widely regarded as
More about Andrew Chaikin...