Start by marking “The Beast in the Nursery: On Curiosity and Other Appetites” as Want to Read:
The Beast in the Nursery: On Curiosity and Other Appetites

The Beast in the Nursery: On Curiosity and Other Appetites

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  9 reviews
If you are disturbed by the idea that to grow up is to learn to live with disillusionment, if you are fascinated by the perplexity of child-rearing, or if you fear you were more creative as a child, The Beast in the Nursery offers an illuminating and possibly life-changing experience.
In four interrelated essays, Adam Phillips arrives at startling new insights into issues...more
Published March 30th 1999 by Vintage (first published January 27th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast in the Nursery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast in the Nursery

Alison
Not a parenting book but it goes in that category for me because it was due to this blurb on that back that I selected it from the library shelves: "a look at childhood curiosity and appetite - what inspires it, what kills it and how it may be sustained." I got more than I bargained for - large dollops of Freudian psychology which were challenging and rewarding. A book I have finished thinking I should read again soon.

"Ultimately the child needs to abrogate him omnipotence - abjure his magic - a...more
Magda
«η συμμόρφωση και η όρεξη είναι πάντοτε αταίριαστο ζευγάρι»

Λέγεται, ξανά και ξανά, πως μια εικόνα είναι χίλιες λέξεις. Μπορεί χίλιες λέξεις να είναι πολλές ή λίγες για μια εικόνα, μα είναι σίγουρο πως τελικά περιγράφεται με κάποια σχετική ακρίβεια με τη βοήθεια του λόγου. Αν προσπαθήσουμε να είμαστε το ίδιο περιγραφικοί, αναλυτικοί και σαφείς με μια μυρωδιά, μια αίσθηση, ένα συναίσθημα, μια εντύπωση, θα διαπιστώσουμε αμέσως πως είναι ιδιαίτερα δύσκολο.
Υπάρχει ένα μέρος της ζωής μας που δεν μπορε...more
Nick
Interesting guy... Loves his psychoanalysis though
Tim
This guy is brilliant but difficult--is that a sign of the difficult subject matter or that he's not a great writer?
Tom
This isn't much of a book, though Phillips' musings are sprinkled with provocative & suggestive remarks.
Rich Castles
Would love to just put quotation marks around the whole book and make it a quotable quote.
Willow
the person who loaned me this book said that adam phillips is obnoxious. but in a good way.
Beth
This book was a challenge and I have gotten a lot more out of other psychoanalysis books.
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Alina
Alina added it
Sep 27, 2014
Nairy Fstukh
Nairy Fstukh is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Keskot
Keskot added it
Aug 02, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Lewlewlew
Lewlewlew marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
On Kissing, Tickling, and Being Bored: Psychoanalytic Essays on the Unexamined Life On Kindness Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life Monogamy Going Sane: Maps of Happiness

“Anger, then, is only for the engaged; for those with projects that matter.” 2 likes