3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  663 ratings  ·  29 reviews
From the celebrated author of RubyfruitJungle and Bingocomes a stirring novel of the Civil War, a tale oftrue love and mistaken identity. Brimming withcolorful characters and vivid settings, HighHearts is Rita Mae Brown at her mostambitious and entertaining.

April 12,1861. Bright, gutsy and young,Geneva Chatfieldmarries Nash Hart in Albemarle County, Virginia, thesame day F...more
Published April 1st 1987 by Bantam (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about High Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Hearts

The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonThe Civil War by Shelby FooteCold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Best Civil War Books
153rd out of 509 books — 543 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraCold Mountain by Charles FrazierThe Red Badge of Courage by Stephen CraneTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
American Civil War Books
114th out of 205 books — 135 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara Hall
I really enjoyed this book. The summary is true; this is an epic story that brings fresh life into possibly one of the most popular historical events in fiction. I enjoyed learning about the cavalry tactics and regular life of a soldier in that part of the fighting force. There was a ton of history but it was all meshed in the fiction so well that it gave realism to the characters, as if they had been real historical figures.

I liked most all the characters, but confess I didn't love any of them...more
Mckinley
What would the telling of the Civil War read like with a woman soldier? Here we find Brown's take on that question. Five days after marrying, Geneva Chatfield's husband, brother, and father all leave home to enlist their services in the war effort. Not willing to live without her husband Nash, Geneva disguising herself as a boy and leaves home to join up with him in the cavalry. A superb horsewoman, Geneva establishes her place in his company by beating Major Mars Vickers, the group commander, i...more
Nati
Jun 13, 2014 Nati added it
Natnael Muluneh
571 Pages, 1987
Rita Mae Brown

High Hearts is the story of newlyweds Geneva Chatfield and Nash Hart. The couples get married in Albemarle County Virginia the same day the Civil war begins and five days later their marriage is put to the test as Nash is sent off to join the Confederate Army. Geneva will go to extreme length to be near her husband. She cuts off her hair and joins Nash’s Calvary as Jimmy Chatfield. Geneva is the tallest girl and best rider at Albemarle Co...more
Fiona
Read this a very long time ago but I remember how much I enjoyed it. I should really have a 'to read again' list for books like these.
Graceann
Mar 03, 2008 Graceann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
There were uncounted women who cut their hair, lowered their voices and took up arms on both sides of The Civil War. Rita Mae Brown does a wonderful job crafting a fictional story using this truth as her premise. The characters are richly drawn (I actually preferred the evolution of Geneva's mother, Lutie, to Geneva herself), and the story layered and interesting.

Geneva can't bear to be away from her husband when he enlists as soon as the guns fire on Fort Sumter. She joins him as a soldier, and...more
Claudia Reinfelds
"If this was not taught as inevitable, it would force students of all ages to question methods of government, to question the morality of powerful lobbying groups forcing their will on the majority as well as to encourage the students to formulate strategies."

"I don't have your wide embrace, your high heart. There are other ways out there, mother. They'll be worse. We haven't learned a thing."
Rita
1986
A very enjoyable story about the Civil War from the perspective of Charlottesville VA, apparently the author's home town as well. She tries to let us 'hear the voices' of some of the slaves as well as the Southern white main characters.

By the time I finished, I realized I had been reading a retake of Gone with the Wind. Geneva is a Scarlett type of ambitious, practically minded young woman. Her husband is an Ashley type, not suited to wars or business, more the sentimental poetic type. The c...more
Freyja Vanadis
Not really impressed with the way Southerners try to whitewash (no pun intended) the war's history. For starters, the way they stubbornly insist on calling the Civil War the "War Between The States". Um, hate to tell you guys this, but when it's a war between states in a country, it's a civil war. And there's nothing civil about it. Also, the way they refuse to admit that slavery was the true, underlying reason for the war. I don't know if they honestly don't believe it, or they know better but...more
Ariel Uppstrom
The book follows a girl in her desire to stay close to her husband during the Civil War by concealing her identity and appearing to be a man. She joins her husband's cavalry regimen on the Confederate side. The reader also gets the viewpoints of her husband, cavalry leader, mother, and slave friend. I found these perspectives more interesting most of the time than the main character's. Overall, entertaining and fast read book.
Kathy
This book was first published in 1986 but how timely it was for me to read it at this time, the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. Also thought a lot about the wars that are going on today.
I loved this book for the wonderful interesting characters.

My husband just finished reading this book and he enjoyed it too. He thought it was well written and an interesting story.

Jeanne
after reading 'my name is mary sutter' i commented to my librarian that i loved this book and learned a lot about the civil war. he then ordered high hearts for me and said it was one of his favorite books. it was a very good read ...learned a lot more about the war and the fact that there were women (in disguise) who fought as well.
Julie
I realized a couple chapters into this that I had already read it. (Fortunately, I checked it out from the e-library.) That didn't at all detract from my enjoyment reading it a second time. This is a story full of heart, humor and sadness. Definitely an excellent read.
Brandi Ferdig
read it, long time, don't remember.. think this was the Tennis one..back in the day when Martina Navratilova was chilling with Rita Mae. i know that Rita Mae Brown assisted Martina with her autobiography, which i also read
Karen
May 16, 2008 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs
I read this back in the early 90's. Very different from her other offerings, "Six of One", or "Southern Discomfort". I liked after I got used to the change in style. But I like Rita and Sneaky Pie's books the best.
Grace
A friend lent me this book with the testamonial it was one of her all time favorites. It took me awhile to get through it - I kept finding reasons to move to other books. It was a good story, but a little too long.
Casey309
This is a terrific book not at all like Rita Mae Brown's other books. It's about a female soldier durning the a Civil War. It's a little slow in the beginning but, give it a chance. It'll be we'll worth it.
Monica
May have ben the best book i've ever read. Rita writes about women and relationships very well. These characters are believable and compelling. The story is heartening, the book is a page turner.
Gretchen
poorly put together story of the Civil War--told by women --I love history when it is told correctly even in an historical fiction work--this was JUST fiction put on your romantic but awful shelf..
Micki James
I've marked this book "read" because I've read all I'm ever going to of it, but honestly, I could never make it out of the first chapter.
C.J. Prince
I never had much sympathy for the South's point of view in the Civil War. This book changed my mind.
Simone
Great historical fiction of the Civil War showing that women did in fact serve in the army on occassion
Gayle
This book was responsible for my years-old interest in the Civil War.
Cornelia
An interesting read with good characterisations and without taking a side.
Gail
A woman disguises herself and goes to war for the Confederate side. Good read.
Dimps
I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.
Melissa
civil war and gender roles
Betty
Dec 22, 2007 Betty added it
A quick and fun read
Nina
A must read!
  • Noble Cause
  • The Bride Found (Civil War Brides, #2)
  • A Place I've Never Been
  • Thorns of Eden
  • Edge of Time (Langston Brothers #1)
  • The Glory Cloak: A Novel of Louisa May Alcott and Clara Barton
  • Broken Promises: A Novel of the Civil War
  • A Scarlet Bride
  • To See Your Face Again (Savannah Quartet, #2)
  • Maybe the Moon
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Desert of the Heart
  • Hiding My Candy
  • Savannah Heat (Southern, #2)
  • Spy Lover, The: A Novel
  • Undaunted Love
  • One Summer Night
  • The Hound and the Falcon
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.
More about Rita Mae Brown...
Rubyfruit Jungle Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1) Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3) Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy #5) Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)