Start by marking “Brethren: An Epic Adventure of the Knights Templar (Brethren Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brethren: An Epic Adventure of the Knights Templar (Brethren Trilogy, #1)

Brethren: An Epic Adventure of the Knights Templar (Brethren Trilogy #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,175 ratings  ·  149 reviews
ON THE EVE OF THE LAST CRUSADE...
One young knight, bound by faith, driven by valour, begins a quest to protect a secret that could change the course of history irrevocably.

Published July 11th 2006 by Dutton Adult (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Brethren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brethren

Paul
This could and should have been so much better. All the necessary elements seem to be there for a great memorable story only for it to disappoint and frustrate far more than invigorate or appeal. To use an analogy, imagine having all the right ingredients for a delicious cake, mix them together, bake and getting an undercooked barely edible biscuit instead.
The author manages the notable feat of taking five hundred long pages to achieve less than what others have in two-thirds as many pages. Youn
Ace
The historical research done by this author is obvious in the story and she should be given credit for doing a great job on it however, I just could not connect with the characters. The main character was too weak and the conversations between him and his other teenage friends sounded more like modern day teenagers. While most of the chapters started with beautiful description of the landscape etc., sometimes they just seem out of place. It was like a mix match of scenery and characters. This wa ...more
C.W.
BRETHREN, the first entry in Robyn Young's acclaimed epic trilogy about the travails of a young man on the path to becoming a Templar knight during the disastrous end of the Crusades, is full of interesting details and twisting plot-lines. Will Campbell, the hero of the story, is a youth damaged by a tragic event which has torn his family apart. As he struggles to gain his knighthood in the Templar Order, where he's been assigned by his father, who's taken Templar vows and left for service in th ...more
Paula Lofting
Will Campbell has to serve as an apprentice to a foul-tempered Templar priest before he can achieve his dream of knighthood amongst the fierce Templars, God's Warrior monks. For longer than he should have, Will was forced to remain a sergeant in the service of Everard, a man of dangerous secrets. Amir Baybars has dragged himself out of slavery to become his people's leader, driven by an unquenchable desire to rid his land of the European invaders. As the story builds to a crescendo, the two men' ...more
Fiona
Okay, so I didn't quite read all of it, but I read most of it so as far as I'm concerned IT'S READ. Sod it. What a load of absolute tripe. It isn't even good tripe, it's badly written tripe.

The characters were badly written cardboard cut outs. Will sounded like some kid directly out of High School, minus modern day slang. Elwen looked like she had just walked out of a Pre-Raphaelite painting what with her long flowing hair that flowed loose down her back, golden tresses that quite often fell loo
Simon Turney
I wasn't really sure what to expect from Brethren as I hadn't read a synopsis beforehand. Sometimes I find that adds to the book as it means I go into it with an open mind. Also, given my very rigid list of books to read, Brethren sneaked in by simply being "I quite fancy a read of that" as I walked past the bookshelf. That, for me, is quite rare. All I knew was that it involved the Knights Templar and the crusades.

I was fascinated, then, to discover that the book is not simply an 'us-and-them'
Ellie
Set in period between the Seventh and Ninth Crusades, Brethren purports to tell the story if the Crusades from both the East's and the West's points of view. The West's version is told through the tale of Will, training to follow in his father's footsteps as a Knight in the Order of the Templar, while the East's view is depicted through the tale of Mamluk Sultan of Egypt, Baybars.

The Templars, as usual the subject of speculation and rumours of secret societies, are here given a secret Order with
Paul Bennett
Sometimes I bemoan the fact that I have too many books to read which means that it takes me a while to get to them all. I bought Brethren months ago but only recently did it rise to the top of my to be read pile. Once I started reading it I was chagrined that I hadn’t read it sooner. This is one terrific tale of the 13th century and the turmoil between East and West, between Christian and Muslim and between the various knight orders especially of the Templars and Hospitallers. It seems that ever ...more
Josh
Nov 25, 2009 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys history
Recommended to Josh by: I found it online
The Brethren Trilogy is historical fiction, covering the Knights Templar and the last crusade. All three books have been published, but I am waiting to read the third one; I don't want to purchase the hardcover edition, especially since the paperback form will be released in January.

This, the first, was far superior to the second, though neither were precisely bad. The series is centered on a young sergeant hoping to someday be a templar. His name is Will Campbell and he is from a low born fami
Miriam
As the author is a creative writing teacher I was expecting more. (Didn't Dutton assign her an editor?)

I (almost) always finish any book I start reading. This story of 475 pages only paid out in the LAST SEVEN PAGES. The premise is intriguing: two stories told alternating between the Crusaders point of view and the point of view of Baybars, the Mameluke slave who became sultan and a great general. I was pulling for the Saracens. All the Crusaders and the English King Henry and his son, Edward,
Maya
It didn't take me long to read the first part of the Brethren Trilogy called Brethren. You can always tell when I like a book very much because I tend to start reading and not stop until its finished or I fall asleep.

Besides the story which is all about the coming of age of two very powerful people, and the side story which is about the mystery of a missing book, and the Knights Templars; the book has a lot to recommend it.

The historical detail that the author put into the book was amazing. She
Ben
I have just re read this (debut) book and the beginning of the trilogy.

Full of incredible detail and many keenly made points/ observations on the nature of the times both past and the parallels that can be drawn with modern events/ attitudes.

It's a brilliant read and is full of well written characters, what proves this more than anything is that really not a lot happens, yet it still holds your attention.

When I say not a lot happens, this is obviously not true, it's full of friendships & lov
Billy
Excellent Historical Fiction. I can't wait for the follow-up!,

Robyn Young has shown true greatness in this, her first novel.
The story, which surrounds the Crusades and all that relates; the Templar Knights (and their counterparts of the time; Hospitallers and Teutonics), the Mongols, the Sultan Baybars, Kings Richard the Lionheart & Henry III and Prince Edward of England, Louis IX of France.
The story encompasses the crusades from the viewpoint of both the christians and the muslims and firml
Elspeth Cooper
This book has been lying on my bedside table now for about a year, and the bookmark hasn't moved from page 121 in all that time.

I struggled to get into it. Her research, from what I could tell, is thorough and detailed, and she sets a scene well, but hand on heart I could not make myself care about any of the characters, so they all seemed to blend together. Something was off with the pacing too. Perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance, as at the time I was only able to read in short bursts, but
Deirdre
This is the story of Will Campbell a reluctant Knight Templar, his friendship and love and his growth from a boy to a man. Will is a Templar because his father decided he should be, he lives with the guilt of having accidentally killed his sister and that his father didn't speak to him for years.

It's also the story of Baybars and his fight to rise his life from Malmuk slave to ruler. Ruthless he pursues the expulsion of Christians from the lands he regards as his with ruthlessness.

It's interesti
Anne
This book is mainly the story of young Will Campbell, who comes from scotland to England to study to be a Templar knight. it follows him from his early teens until his twenties where he finds himself in the Holy Land fighting a Saracen army led by Baybars, a legendary leader. he is also searching for his estranged father, who had taken the cross and gone to the Holy Land. Rich in history of the period, this book is the first in a series.
Graham
Somewhat silly Temple within a temple. Templeception I guess. I liked her writing style though, not as good as Cornwall, but then who is? I learned quite a bit of history with extra research with this one. Characters are very well developed and rounded. All in all a pretty good read.
Dawn
The first book in a planed trilogy follows William Campbell of the Templar Knights as he searches for a missing book. The most interesting aspect of the book is the fact that the author uses two distinct voices to tell the story; eastern and western.
aobibliophile™
once i started, i couldn't let go of this amazing historical fiction! i've had my copy for years but only got to read it a few days ago. now i look forward to reading the rest of the books in the Trilogy!
Karen
While I liked the story I didn't like any the characters.
Elaine
Ayan Jalut The Pools of Goliath-The Battle of Ain Jalut , the "Spring of Goliath") took place on 3 September 1260 between Mamluks and the Mongols in the southeastern Galilee, in the Jezreel Valley, north of Jerusalem The battle marked the high-water point of Mongol conquests, and was the first time a Mongol advance had ever been permanently beaten back in direct combat on the battlefield

Mamluk- slave warriors of Egypt , from Syria

Genghis Khan Mongol's-- founder died 1227
Mongols invaded Syria in
Sammie
I wish I could give this book 1.5 stars. Some aspects of it I liked, but there were enough that I didn't like that I can't quite bring myself to select 'it was ok'.

My main criticism of this book is that it has all the subtlety of a punch in the face. Major plot points were crammed into single pages to move the story along. It reads as a lurching, stuttering story that goes nowhere for a long time and then suddenly leaps foward. Twists didn't feel natural and major events fell flat for me.

Howev
Elaine
The first of what is proving to be a well planned and researched trilogy documenting the time of the third Crusade. The characters are spilt into various groups. Will, one of the protagonists, begins the novel as a sergeant (a trainee Knight Crusader), and we learn much of the organisation by following Will's training. He is motivated by following in his father's footsteps, and this lends a depth and pathos to his ambitions. We also have insights into the role of the Hospitallers, another sectio ...more
M.G. Mason
I ought to have liked this more than I actually did. It was well written and as the author says, it is designed to tell the story of the final Crusade from the point of view of both Christian and Muslim. I read a lot of historical fiction and it was much better written than some examples I can think of. The descriptions are good and the battles well handled. Overall it has the makings of a good quality historical novel.

However there are some severe flaws that I cannot forgive. The characters are
Ingrid Hansen
Aug 15, 2011 Ingrid Hansen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with a history interest
Recommended to Ingrid by: A friend
This book is in its own way a good book. I was thrilled to read in the authors "Note", that she tried to be as authentic and true as possible to the story about the Templars who went to Outremer to try to convert all the Muslims living there.
Another good thing is that you follow the Emir Baybars rise to becoming a Sultan and how he does it.
He's a ruthless man who wants all Christians out of his part of the world and somehow you wont blame him for being so vindictive.
Our main character Will Cambe
Ru
The epitome of a sprawling epic, with attention to detail so fine, you'd think it all happened yesterday. I generally find fictional tales set in genuine true-to-life history to be compelling; in the case of this book, I found the *concept* more compelling than the execution. There are almost too many fine points contained in this story, which is admirable & impressive, but many points don't have a real bearing on the story of Will Campbell, The Knights Templar, and the pursuit of The Book o ...more
Heather Palmer
May 30, 2009 Heather Palmer marked it as to-read
ON THE EVE OF THE LAST CRUSADE...

A richly detailed, epic historical adventure set in Paris, London, Egypt, and Palestine on the eve of the last Crusade, Brethren tells the story of a young knight’s search for a mysterious (and potentially deadly) book belonging to a secret organization within the Knights Templar.

When young Will Campbell joins the most power
Angela
The novel Brethren: An Epic Adventure of the Knights Templar is a book of epic proportions, using the much disputed Holy Land as the backdrop for much of the story. On a basic level, it tells the story of two men, William Campbell and Baybars, both of whom are driven in many ways, by the desire for revenge. Campbell is a young Scot who wishes to follow in his father’s footsteps, by becoming a Knight Templar. His path to attain this goal is never easy, being fraught with danger, frustration and i ...more
Josh
Epic. Sprawling. Exciting. Romantic. Sad. These five words could be used to describe this book about a secret organization within the Templar knights. As long as I can remember I have been fascinated by the Templar knights. I don't know how it started or even why, but I actively seek out novels that use this group of men as characters. When I came across this trilogy by Robyn Young, I knew that I was going to be diving into the series with gusto. This first book did not disappoint. It follows a ...more
Lucinda
Robyn Young's Brethren trilogy (which consistes of book 1 Brethren, book 2 Crusade and book 3 Requiem)is truely brilliant and hence i am eagerly awaiting to read her new novel Insurrection, that i am sure will be just as spectacular. Brethren is by far one of the very best historical novels that i have ever read as it is so realistic and richly detailed, that the reader feels as if they have been sent back in time and plunged into the very centre of all the action. It is exciting and enthralling ...more
  • Outlaw (The Outlaw Chronicles, #1)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Standard of Honor (Templar Trilogy, #2)
  • Men of Bronze
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Fire and Sword (Revolution, #3)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • The Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2)
  • Attila (Attila Trilogy, #1)
  • The Crusader
  • Traitor's Blood (Civil War Chronicles, #1)
  • Ironfire
  • The Religion  (Tannhauser Trilogy, #1)
  • A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury
  • Corsair (Hector Lynch, #1)
Robyn Young lives in Hove, and is the author of BRETHREN, the first novel in a trilogy set in the world of the Crusades. The author of numerous poems and short stories published in magazines and anthologies, Robyn has a Masters in Creative Writing with distinction from the University of Sussex. She teaches creative writing part-time in Brighton.
More about Robyn Young...
Crusade (Brethren Trilogy, #2) Requiem: The Fall of the Templars (Brethren Trilogy #3) Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1) Renegade (The Insurrection Trilogy, #2) Kingdom (The Insurrection Trilogy, #3)