Calvin and Hobbes : Sunday Pages 1985-1995

Calvin and Hobbes : Sunday Pages 1985-1995 (Calvin and Hobbes)

4.69 of 5 stars 4.69  ·  rating details  ·  2,655 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The large format of this wonderful book evokes the feeling of unfolding the Sunday paper and getting lost in Calvin's imaginative, troublemaking world. This survey of Bill Watterson's beloved "Calvin & Hobbes" comic strip covers the entire life of the cartoon, from 1985-1995. Original pencil drawings are juxtaposed with their finished color counterparts, complete with...more
Published May 11th 2008 by Barnes & Noble (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Calvin and Hobbes , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calvin and Hobbes

Michelle
Do I cry that I'll never see another original Calvin & Hobbes cartoon or do I rejoice that I own this book and others? I'll go with rejoice. What makes this collection special is that it's the catalog for an exhibit of some of Watterson's Sunday Pages. Each comic is shown with the original black and white sketch on the left and the full color strip on the right. Most include comments from the cartoonist as to why he chose the specific strip for the exhibit. As I read each strip I found mysel...more
Olivier Goetgeluck
"Isn't it strange that evolution would give us a sense of humor?"

"You know, Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."

HeavyReader
I think I sent a copy of this book to Cassidy. Of course, he really likes Calvin and Hobbes.

I prefer the strips that are not crazy dinosaurs on the planet Zoirbsky sequences, so the Calvin and Hobbes Sunday strips are some of my least favorite.
Miss
I miss Calvin & Hobbes.

This was an interesting perspective on the strip, focusing on the art more than the stories.

It's always interesting to gain insight into the creative process. (well, maybe not always!)
PurplyCookie
The collection begins with an essay from Watterson about his perspective on Calvin and Hobbes 6 years removed, and it's probably my favorite part of the book. Also included are the non-colored sketches of each strip on its neighboring page. Since these sketches are reprinted in color, you can see the erasures, griddings and white-outs; a nice touch, for sure.

Comic strip enthusiasts are going to grab this book no matter what I say (and well they should if you're a collector/completist like myse...more
Russell Olson
I remember reading this when it first came out, but I don't think I really knew what I was looking at. I think, probably like many fans of the comic, I was just hungry for a dose of Calvin and Hobbes and didn't really take the time to pour over the drawings and the thought process behind them. I don't even recall having read Watterson's introduction to the collection. Now that it is clear that C & H won't be returning to the funny pages and I've learned a heap of a lot more about cartooning...more
P
With all the depressing news out in the world today, I needed to kick back and distract myself with the Sunday Funnies. You can't get any better than Calvin and Hobbes. Watterson's essay on the Sunday comic as an art form and his argument against C & H licensed merchandise is also interesting. 17 years later and I'm still bummed that his strip only went for 10 yrs. Of course, The Beatles were together for only 10yrs as well; something to think about.

The book is actually an exhibition catalog...more
Brett Hollinger
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde...more
Deb Luppino
Calvin & Hobbes is still the best. What makes this book special are the comments by Bill Watterson written 10 years after he finished the strip.
Heatherblakely
I love Sunday comics, and seeing the explanations for some of these was interesting (seeing the very last one was a little sad, though).
Konrad Swartz
Wonderful to read a bit from Watterson. Wonderful to read Calvin & Hobbes.
Paul
Why is it that whenever I'm feeling a little low, all I have to do is pull one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the shelf and give it a good re-read to perk me up. I've many other "funny-books", but these are the ones that bring me most joy.
Then, a little after I am done, I start re-realizing that Watterson will probably never do any more, then I get sad again.
I'm very grateful for what I have... and I'll re-read them as many times as I need... I just wish there were more.
OK, now I'm feelin...more
Mia
I am a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan, and I loved this collection.
James
Another great compendium of comic strips.
Jerry Li
A sad goodbye to old friends...
J. Torres
I just re-read this collection for the first time in almost a decade. Not only did it make me miss Watterson, but it made me miss comic strips, which are disappearing from newspapers at an alarming rate - and what is still being published can't touch Calvn & Hobbes. The last page (featuring the final Calvin & Hobbes strip) even made me misty. Yes, I laughed, I cried, and I need to go and revisit the other Calvin & Hobbes collections in my library. A great read.
Cris
Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages is more than just a reproduction of Sunday comics. Watterson includes little tidbits about what inspired a particular strip, the visual effects he was creating, etc. I especially appreciated the inclusion of the reasoning behind Watterson's decision to end the strip.

Not every Sunday strip was included, and not every strip had commentary. My only request would be fore additional commentary.
I
ok well i remembered spending my days in my dorm or is it in my class cutting comic strips from the star and make a folio out of them. i was fifteen, i think, full of life.

now, twenty-two soon to be twenty-three (still a child at heart, i hope) came across this book at one of my university books festival, bought them, and i don't know, i think i have that stupid grin on my face for the rest of my day.
Jodi
This Calvin and Hobbes is a little different from the others in that there are both the original black and white drawings of the comics and then the same comic in color, and also that the author/illustrator leaves comments about many of the comics. I thought that the comments were interesting to see as to what goes into making a comic and the things that he had to think about to create each comic.
Abigail Ryder
In the foreword and in comments throughout, this book shows bits of Watterson's insights, processes, comments, technical information, and original drawings for the "Calvin and Hobbes" larger format (and often more artistic) Sunday pages over the years. An absolute "must" for admirers of the comic, in my opinion, and most especially those who are interested in the comic art form, in and of itself.
Duane
I usually enjoy Bill Watterson's work, but this book left me feeling used. Quite a few of the pages in this book are blank! Filled with colorized Sunday comics, this book does give us some inside information about the strips, but it also shows a little into the egotistical mind of the creator. I was really dissapointed in this book. I'd rather read his comics then his thoughts from now on.
Brandon Chow
Similar to the Bill Cunningham documentary in terms of approach to work.
Lani
Jun 04, 2012 Lani marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bought it last night at B&N for my parents. Basically an intro by Bill Watterson and 36 original Sunday comics - not inked - with their inked versions from the papers.

Nothing new really, but some of the insight was neat. Worth the $7 I paid for it, certainly. And it's a C&H book released in 2001, so I figured I should add it to my dad's collection.
Ceanne
I especially enjoyed this Calvin and Hobbes Sunday Pages and Bill Watterson's dialogue as to why he chose certain moments in the comic and his thinking behind changing his format.

The last page of the comic which is also the last of Calvin and Hobbes in Sunday pages was such a great life lesson, I've scanned it to put on my cubicle at work.
Nayantara
Where does one begin with Calvin and Hobbes? Bill Watterson is just awesome! My ten year old cousin enjoys the simplicity of Calvin and Hobbes. As you get older you appreciate it on a different level. The subliminal messages that are so brilliantly added in the comics is so great! Watterson's imagination and ingenuity astounds me! I love him!
Runa
Jan 01, 2012 Runa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard C&H enthusiasts/collectors
Not terribly impressed. Very small selection of comics, and each strip repeats twice (original & color). It's a neat idea to collect some of the strips with Bill Watterson's comments about them, but not really worth spending money on when I'm assuming you can get the same strips elsewhere with many, many more.
Tristan Sherbondy
i especially liked this Calvin and Hobbs collection in spite of its shortness because the Sunday pages are in all color and are full page strips that Bill was able to "have fun with". I also liked his insightful commentary about the comics. And really, it's Calvin and Hobbs... what more is there to say?
Katie
I have always loved Calvin & Hobbes. In the book, Watterson takes various Sunday strips over the years and talks about how they came about. Super interesting how newspaper format, panels, colors and lack there of really make a huge difference in how each strip appeared. Man, I miss these guys!
Ciara
Nov 15, 2008 Ciara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: calvin & hobbes fans, people who only like sunday comics
the unique thing about this book is that it is all sunday comics--the ones that were in color & had more space tocreate a story or illustrate one of calvin's fantasy worlds (typically involving outer space or dinosuars). so, that's a nice change from the average comics compendium.
Fernando Callejas
Mar 19, 2010 Fernando Callejas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Fernando by: my friends
This comic book is about a kid who has a friend called Hobbes that is a tiger.The two of them have imaginary adventures they play. calvin is like
a 5 or 7 year old boy that lives in his wordl but the theme of these comic is funny i like reading calving an the Hobbes.
  • Bucky Katt's Big Book of Fun: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
  • Foxtrotius Maximus
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • A Zits Treasury 02: Big Honkin' Zits
  • Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and His Revolutionary Comic Strip
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of...more
More about Bill Watterson...
Calvin and Hobbes The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?” 952 likes
“Calvin:"It says here that 'religion is the opiate of the masses.'...what do you suppose that means?"
Television: "...it means that Karl Marx hadn't seen anything yet”
38 likes