Start by marking “Listen, Listen” as Want to Read:
Listen, Listen
Preview

Listen, Listen

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Phillis Gershator's rhythmic verse and Alison Jay's intricate images come together beautifully to celebrate the sounds of the seasons, from summer to autumn, and winter to spring.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Barefoot Books (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Listen, Listen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen, Listen

Shelly
I enjoyed this oversized board book. Kids love noises, and this book is full of them, from the noises the insects make in summer, to the silent sounds of winter. I can just hear young children mimicing the sounds that are read to them in this delightful book. Children love to learn about the differences in the seasons and this book will help them to do just that. The muted colors and rustic looking illustrations by Alison Jay, add character to this book. I especially liked how she added faces to ...more
John Parker
Board books should be easy to handle, engaging, and fun. Listen, Listen fits that bill as Barefoot Books enters this market. Readers are encouraged to listen to the seasonal sounds around them, and there are plenty. From the newness of spring to the whispering snowflakes of winter, Alison Jay’s illustrations literally crackle with sound. The movement in the illustrations furthers the theme of listening and the characters are so generic that they overcome what some may interpret as a lack of mult ...more
Molly
Very cute- I love books where they ask you to find stuff in the pictures. A little lengthy for kids with short attention spans, but one-on-one would probably work.
Mary Wirt
This book goes through all the seasons, starting and ending with summer. At the end, there's a little I Spy type page for each season.
Rosemary
The concise text is poetic and charming. I recognised the style of the illustrations from I took the Moon for a Walk, another good children's book.
Princess of Dragons
These books have been translated into a number of different languages, hence why I picked it up, to help me study Welsh. The pictures are surprisingly good however, and I think a child would adore it.
Suburban Homeschooler
Would be a nice pre-k book, but a bit too long.
Chinasa Izeogu
This charming book introduces the changing seasons through sound.

"Rains fall, pitter, patter. Sparrows gather, chitter, chatter."

I just love the use of cracking varnish on the alkyd oil paint illustrations. It complements the timeless subject very well.

Read it for story time. It is a hit for all ages. Educational components include: sound, opposites, English - prepositions.

This is a Barefoot Book.
Lisa
Follows the various sounds you would hear throughout the year. The illustrations are unique in that they are in different shapes than the standard square (ovals, half moons, etc.), depending on the season. The rhymes and sounds make it a fun read (and perfect for story time). The last 4 pages are like an I Spy book where you look for things in the various seasons (ex. pumpkin, a dragonfly, etc.)
Kelly
This book has lots of fun sounds for reading aloud: chirp, churr, buzz, whirr, zip, zoom, slip, slide, etc.[return][return]The story itself doesn't have much of a plot. It steps through the seasons and shows different activities for each season. The illustrations look old-fashioned and are probably my favorite part of the book.[return][return]Overall, this book is okay but not great.
Marie
A new look at the seasons. I like what this book is trying to do, considering the seasons through sounds of things common in that season. It has limited success, however. There are too many cases in which the words are not sounds, and a few of the seasonal things can be heard just as often in other seasons. Still, it's an OK book to add to the repertoire of season stories.
Rogelia Pena
This picture book incorporates onomatopeia and other literary figures in a beutiful way as it describes the different seasons and the way nature interacts with them. It would be a great read-aloud for 1st grade and up. Students can also read it and gain a lot of detailed and vivid vocabulary that can spark their writing
Desiree Kulewsky
I really liked this book because it rhymed, the pictures were circular and because the text bended around the pictures. I think the whole format of the book was great and i love how the author went through each season and then did a quick summary of the seasons in the end.
Dichotomy Girl
This was a fun book. Josh and I took turns reading it to Avery, who liked that it was big and shiny and very "pat-able", I think she liked the all the sounds as well. She's not old enough yet, but I enjoyed the pictures, they were very well done.
S.K.
My five-year olds and I spent quite some time with this book. We studied the illustrations and played "I spy" just as the author/illustrator intended at the end of the book.

Beautiful.
Chelsea Weide
This book explains the season very well and also has a fun rhyming verses. The words paint a great picture of what you normally see, hear, and do during that time of the year.
Dianna
I'm not even going to talk about the text; I got this for the illustrations because I love Alison Jay's work. C'mon, look at that cover. You know you want to read it!
Kathryn
Loved it! The four seasons as identified by their sounds. The text is such fun, especially for read aloud, and the illustrations are just glorious!
Jason Barney
This is a great book to talk about seasons in the classroom. It has the many sights and sounds of each of the seasons to present to the class.
Maria
The illustrations are quite lovely and the rhythm of the words make Listen, Listen a perfect choice for a read aloud or story time.
Janae
A beautifully illustrated book about the seasons. The back few pages help children to identify key features of each season.
Lauri Meyers
The illustrations keep giving you something new each time you open the book. The rhyme, rhythm, onomatopoeia flow beautifully.
Maya
I'm an adult, I don't have kids, the rating is based on my enjoyment of the book. I guess I need more substance. :/
Katje van Loon
A lovely, non-hemisphere-specific journey through the seasons and the sounds associated with them.
Lisa
I agree with Marie's comments, but the artwork alone makes it deserving of another star.
Suzanne
Rhyming book about the seasons. Another nicely done book from Barefoot.
Andi Winterfield
Such a beautiful book about the seasons. The pictures are amazing!
Bianca Rae
I love this book and have all of the words memorized!
Erika
How can you not love Allison jay's illustrations?
Amanda
book about seasons--i love jay's illustrations
  • I Took the Moon for a Walk
  • The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
  • Max's Words
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • In a Blue Room
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!
  • Soup Day
  • If You'll Be My Valentine
  • Barnyard Banter
  • The Busy Tree
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • Jack's Garden
Time for a Hug Moo, Moo, Brown Cow! Have You Any Milk? When It Starts to Snow Who's In The Garden? Time for a Bath