Start by marking “Listen, Listen” as Want to Read:
Listen, Listen

Listen, Listen

Listen carefully to all the wonderful sounds of the different seasons, from summer's sizzling sun to winter's crunching snow. Try making up some sounds of your own, too.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Barefoot Books (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Listen, Listen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen, Listen

Shelly
Feb 01, 2009 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this oversized board book. Kids love noises, and this book is full of them, from the noises the insects make in summer, to the silent sounds of winter. I can just hear young children mimicing the sounds that are read to them in this delightful book. Children love to learn about the differences in the seasons and this book will help them to do just that. The muted colors and rustic looking illustrations by Alison Jay, add character to this book. I especially liked how she added faces to ...more
Chinasa Izeogu
Oct 20, 2011 Chinasa Izeogu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This charming book introduces the changing seasons through sound.

"Rains fall, pitter, patter. Sparrows gather, chitter, chatter."

I just love the use of cracking varnish on the alkyd oil paint illustrations. It complements the timeless subject very well.

Read it for story time. It is a hit for all ages. Educational components include: sound, opposites, English - prepositions.

This is a Barefoot Book.
Steve Holden
In our curriculum, we read a story from a published text collection called "Seek the Sun." We read it this week again, and it's about a Japanese village where a tall building is built near a couple. They are angry because they lose sunlight for their home. They end up going to court, and it's based on a true case long ago where in the village, builders had restrictions on how tall a building could be. Anyways, the short story is told by Phillis Gershator. I didn't know much about her, but I saw ...more
John Parker
Jan 08, 2009 John Parker rated it really liked it
Board books should be easy to handle, engaging, and fun. Listen, Listen fits that bill as Barefoot Books enters this market. Readers are encouraged to listen to the seasonal sounds around them, and there are plenty. From the newness of spring to the whispering snowflakes of winter, Alison Jay’s illustrations literally crackle with sound. The movement in the illustrations furthers the theme of listening and the characters are so generic that they overcome what some may interpret as a lack of mult ...more
Lisa
Feb 20, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidland
Follows the various sounds you would hear throughout the year. The illustrations are unique in that they are in different shapes than the standard square (ovals, half moons, etc.), depending on the season. The rhymes and sounds make it a fun read (and perfect for story time). The last 4 pages are like an I Spy book where you look for things in the various seasons (ex. pumpkin, a dragonfly, etc.)
Marie
Oct 04, 2008 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A new look at the seasons. I like what this book is trying to do, considering the seasons through sounds of things common in that season. It has limited success, however. There are too many cases in which the words are not sounds, and a few of the seasonal things can be heard just as often in other seasons. Still, it's an OK book to add to the repertoire of season stories.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
This book has lots of fun sounds for reading aloud: chirp, churr, buzz, whirr, zip, zoom, slip, slide, etc.[return][return]The story itself doesn't have much of a plot. It steps through the seasons and shows different activities for each season. The illustrations look old-fashioned and are probably my favorite part of the book.[return][return]Overall, this book is okay but not great.
Rogelia Pena
Dec 12, 2013 Rogelia Pena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng261
This picture book incorporates onomatopeia and other literary figures in a beutiful way as it describes the different seasons and the way nature interacts with them. It would be a great read-aloud for 1st grade and up. Students can also read it and gain a lot of detailed and vivid vocabulary that can spark their writing
Kim Bogren Owen
Apr 22, 2016 Kim Bogren Owen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explore the sounds of the season in Listen, Listen by Phillis Gershator and Alison Jay. This cheerfully illustrated books looks at seasons through their sounds. After reading this, ask your child what a snow storm sounds like and if it is quieter or louder than the sounds of spring.
Dichotomy Girl
Feb 02, 2012 Dichotomy Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book. Josh and I took turns reading it to Avery, who liked that it was big and shiny and very "pat-able", I think she liked the all the sounds as well. She's not old enough yet, but I enjoyed the pictures, they were very well done.
Princess of Dragons
These books have been translated into a number of different languages, hence why I picked it up, to help me study Welsh. The pictures are surprisingly good however, and I think a child would adore it.
Desiree Kulewsky
I really liked this book because it rhymed, the pictures were circular and because the text bended around the pictures. I think the whole format of the book was great and i love how the author went through each season and then did a quick summary of the seasons in the end.
Chelsea Weide
This book explains the season very well and also has a fun rhyming verses. The words paint a great picture of what you normally see, hear, and do during that time of the year.
Maria
The illustrations are quite lovely and the rhythm of the words make Listen, Listen a perfect choice for a read aloud or story time.
Mary Luzader
Nov 05, 2014 Mary Luzader rated it it was amazing
This book goes through all the seasons, starting and ending with summer. At the end, there's a little I Spy type page for each season.
Molly
Feb 19, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute- I love books where they ask you to find stuff in the pictures. A little lengthy for kids with short attention spans, but one-on-one would probably work.
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! The four seasons as identified by their sounds. The text is such fun, especially for read aloud, and the illustrations are just glorious!
Dianna
Aug 21, 2010 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even going to talk about the text; I got this for the illustrations because I love Alison Jay's work. C'mon, look at that cover. You know you want to read it!
Janae
Apr 16, 2013 Janae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
A beautifully illustrated book about the seasons. The back few pages help children to identify key features of each season.
Amanda
Oct 08, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
book about seasons--i love jay's illustrations
Jason Barney
Sep 28, 2012 Jason Barney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book to talk about seasons in the classroom. It has the many sights and sounds of each of the seasons to present to the class.
Caroline
Learn about the sounds of each season.

Colorful illustrations.
Bianca Rae
Jan 11, 2011 Bianca Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and have all of the words memorized!
Erika
Jun 14, 2012 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can you not love Allison jay's illustrations?
Lauri Meyers
May 26, 2012 Lauri Meyers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations keep giving you something new each time you open the book. The rhyme, rhythm, onomatopoeia flow beautifully.
Mary
Oct 19, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Words words words! Sound words! Season words!
Rosemary
Nov 22, 2014 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concise text is poetic and charming. I recognised the style of the illustrations from I took the Moon for a Walk, another good children's book.
Suburban Homeschooler
Would be a nice pre-k book, but a bit too long.
Lisa
Oct 04, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I agree with Marie's comments, but the artwork alone makes it deserving of another star.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Leaf Jumpers
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Too Purpley! (Too! Books)
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms