Start by marking “Lovemarks” as Want to Read:
Lovemarks

Lovemarks

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,089 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
"Ideas move mountains, especially in turbulent times. Lovemarks is the product of the fertile-iconoclast mind of Kevin Roberts, CEO Worldwide of Saatchi & Saatchi. Roberts argues vociferously, and with a ton of data to support him, that traditional branding practices have become stultified. What’s needed are customer Love affairs. Roberts lays out his grand scheme fo ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by powerHouse Books (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lovemarks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovemarks

Alex
Mar 12, 2013 Alex rated it did not like it
Pretentious, earnest, more a vanity project than anything. I get the message, and he may even be right but it feels very flimsy. The actual content would fill a pamphlet more than a book. Disappointing.
Gail
Of all the biz-themed books I've been reading this year, I have to admit that "Lovemarks" has done the least for me.

I found the style of the book the hardest element in luring me in. Whereas I'm sure a lot of visual types (or individuals with ADHD) would be drawn to how the author, Kevin Roberts (CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi), treats his text in this tome of his, I was not a fan. I found all the text over graphics and images to be a major distraction in trying to take home the lessons about bran
Ryan Hakes
Apr 07, 2011 Ryan Hakes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lines filled with pretension and bravado are fun when coming from Arnold or Stallone. But it's unbearable coming from an ad exec desperately trying to prove to the reader how important the work of selling sugar water and denim is to the world. Nothing enlightening like the incredible Olgilvy on Advertising, this book exists because the author is rich and famous.

Paris Hilton could have written this.

Dmitry Kuriakov
Feb 11, 2015 Dmitry Kuriakov rated it really liked it
Наверно самая неоднозначная книга по брендингу. Собственно после книги осталось впечатление, что автор говорил о чём-то настолько трансцендентным, что передать, переосмыслить сказанное уже почти невозможно. Книга является противоположностью трёхтомнику Аакера, да и подавляющему числу книг по маркетингу. Если коротко, то это книга о брендах, о которых потребители говорят: я не могут жить без этого бренда. Т.е. речь пойдёт в книге о, так сказать, бренд религии. Однако, к сожалению, книга не описыв ...more
Cecily Robertson
May 05, 2012 Cecily Robertson rated it really liked it
The idea here is wonderful. This book is about the marketer's challenge of finding ideas that will last forever by uncovering timeless emotions like love. People will always love, and Kevin Roberts realizes that having a relationship with consumers is the only way you can really make money. Where you have a consumer in love, you have a "lovemark." Lovemarks are owned by the consumers, not the company. The company is more like a caretaker of the lovemark, and the company should always, always lis ...more
Paul Rojas
Feb 12, 2017 Paul Rojas rated it it was amazing
Hasta hoy mi libro favorito
Melissa
Apr 21, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
This book was relevant when written and is just as relevant now. What a great discussion on concepts for engaging your audience and creating brands (excuse me, lovemarks) that last. Roberts is witty and everything in this book, from his writting style to design layout of each page, was well-thought out and captivating. Originally, I checked this book out from the library. Now, it is one that I will buy as a reference for my own collection.

It was definitely not a review of the same old concepts y
Zlatina Mitova
Apr 11, 2015 Zlatina Mitova rated it it was amazing
Notes:

Great ideas, like humor, come from the corners of the mind, out on the edge. That's why humor can break up log-jams in both personal relationships and in business.

I lose patience with the wanna-be science of brands. The definitions, the charts, tables, and diagrams. There are too many people following the same rule book. When everybody tries to beat differentiation in the same way, nobody gets anywhere. You get row upon row of what I call "brandroids". Formulas can't deal with human emotio
Chelsea
Jun 04, 2009 Chelsea rated it really liked it
A beautifully designed book with very interesting concepts. The book was recommended by some fellow photographers who practice the idea, so it was easier for me to draw parallels between the almost-abstract concepts and their real-life practice. The book does seem to lack a bit of actual substance on first read, but I frequently find myself coming across an element of Lovemarks (Mystery, Sensuality, and Intimacy) and realizing how it relates to my life and work. It definitely is a book that is m ...more
Amanda
Feb 12, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
"Human attention has become our principal currency." -- Kevin Roberts

Fascinating insight from an industry genius on what companies and industries are lacking these days -- LOVE. Roberts argues that without emotional ties to consumers, companies are often here today, gone tomorrow. The ones who survive -- think Apple, Starbucks, Nike, Amazon, Coke -- have it figured out and are setting the bar high. Listen to your consumer because they ultimately own the company and its brand.

A great read from st
Alex
May 30, 2008 Alex rated it did not like it
It was written by the Devil, ha ha. I'm reading it because I want to study a little bit more the world of brands, consumerism, products, buying (our world), in order to protest/attack it. The author argues that brands are obsolete because the world and customers have changed, and no longer buy a product and keep their loyalty until the end. He says now it's time for "lovemarks," which are products that connect to the consumer in deep emotional ways, which in my view is emotional manipulation. It ...more
Martin Bihl
Mar 02, 2010 Martin Bihl rated it liked it
love him or hate him (and there's ample support for both sides in this book) kevin roberts has hit on the key question for anyone involved in selling anything to anyone: why will people fall in love with this? answer that and you're actually answering a bunch of other questions, all of them vital and all of them that will make your work better. i'm using this as required reading in the advertising class i teach at drexel, and have found it very useful as a tool to educate about the advertising w ...more
Lawson Hembree
Jun 27, 2013 Lawson Hembree rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Lovemarks is like a picture book for adults. The visual layout compliments the great content, making for a unique reading experience (though some text is hard to read because of the text/background combos). Roberts outlines the evolution of the Lovemark concept in a way that the reader can apply to his/her consumer-facing brand (though B2B companies may have a harder time with application).

If you're interested in marketing, business, or ideas, you need to read this book.
Maya
Mar 14, 2010 Maya rated it it was amazing
I love how this book makes you think of clients and consumers in a new light, that of lovemarks instead of just brands. It has some great examples of companies that are lovemarks but more importantly it talks about how emotions and all of the senses come into play as people become "brand loyal" and become in love with the products they use. This is a good read for any business person or business owner.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Lovemarks, de Kevin Roberts.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: marketing y ventas, gestionar marcas y posicionamiento.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Lovemarks, El futuro más allá de las marcas: Lovemarks
Evelyn
Jul 29, 2012 Evelyn rated it it was ok
I read this book because I was trying to get more ideas about marketing. Read is a strong word, though; it was part text and part art project. But there were some interesting ideas in there. The biggest one I took away was the quest to build "loyalty beyond reason." It's more appropriate to companies looking to sell a physical product, but I think there are some interesting ideas that can be useful to any company.
Kristin Brown
Sep 28, 2011 Kristin Brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit the I didn't get very far in this book before giving up. I wanted to like it--I wanted to get into the idea of lovemarks and branding through intimacy and empathy, etc. etc... But I just found his style of writing to be arrogant and difficult to read. I skimmed the remainder of the book and decided it wasn't really worth my time.
Tyler Hakes
Apr 22, 2013 Tyler Hakes rated it really liked it
Shelves: mktg-adv
Inspiring and a bit confusing and overwhelming at the same time.

The ideas are great. The words and thoughts are inspirational. But, it does have a bit of a snake oil salesmen vibe. The idea of a lovemark seems wholly amorphous, and yet him and his team, of course, have managed to master it.

Nonetheless it's thought provoking and inspirational in its overall message.
Linah
Jul 15, 2011 Linah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Interesting read. It talks about how marketing research doesn't always show you what exactly is going on in the market and it's important to interact and engage with customers. I loved the idea of "lovemarks" and loyalty beyond reason. It brings to mind a number of brands and ideas all around us.

I recommend it to anyone interested in branding or marketing.
katherine quiel
Apr 23, 2016 katherine quiel rated it it was amazing
I read this book around 2009 right after the U.S economy took one of its greatest hits.
It showcases examples of how businesses: brands now have to do more to not only attract but to keep patrons/ clients engaged and coming back for more and above all be loyal to what the brand represents.
I think the book is still relevant today in 2016 and it won't be a waste of your time.
Eidoegy
Sep 07, 2015 Eidoegy rated it really liked it
Usually i finish a book in 2 to 3 month time
But this book i finished in less than 3 weeks
Coz it really contain a lot of catchy ideas and innovation
You feel like you are reading a story in a very business context
The writer is clever but the book is little expensive
db
Nov 28, 2014 db rated it it was ok
Visually interesting! Could be inspirational at a point in design - maybe at that time when one feels tired of working on a product. I felt the information was more sizzle than steak. On the other hand, who can argue against love?
Nabeela
Jun 27, 2007 Nabeela rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a great book if you are interested in discovering the power of branding and brands and how companies build brand loyalty amongst their customer base. The book is very engaging in terms of how its written and is an easy and entertaining read.
Kandise
Jan 24, 2012 Kandise rated it really liked it
Interesting look at what creates and cultivates an emotional reaction with consumers. The only thing I solidly disagreed with was "... Crayola has sometimes bowed too low to the spirit of the time. Like when they replaced the memorable 'Flesh' with the bland 'Peach'." Ahem.
Zachary Jones
Nov 27, 2013 Zachary Jones rated it really liked it
If you are getting into brand thinking and either side of propaganda, this is an important station in the timeline of your learning. You can think what you want of it, but it is one of the milestones
Mcsia
Apr 15, 2010 Mcsia rated it really liked it
provided great insight on the new genre of advertising. Lovemarks is definitely a great strategy for marketers to reach their consumer.
Claudia Yahany
Jun 26, 2015 Claudia Yahany rated it liked it
Marcas, marcas, fabulosas marcas. Un poquito inspirador; aunque soy de la idea de lo que enamora (a largo plazo) es el propósito y no sólo el mensaje.
Bryan Blanchot
Feb 26, 2014 Bryan Blanchot rated it it was ok
Interesting book but seems more like a promotion tool for Saatchi & Saatchi than an authentic new framework to facilitate understanding of the brand and its relationships with consumers.
Sahin Giray
Dec 03, 2012 Sahin Giray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
perfect examples for brand differentiation by considering customer point of feel
Andrés Morán
Sep 23, 2008 Andrés Morán rated it liked it
Chévere.
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • The Brand Gap
  • Consumerology: The Market Research Myth, the Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping
  • Advertising: Concept and Copy
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • The Creative Process Illustrated: How Advertising's Big Ideas Are Born
  • Brandsimple: How the Best Brands Keep It Simple and Succeed
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • The Book Of Gossage
  • Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
  • Chief Culture Officer: How to Create a Living, Breathing Corporation
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • The Advertising Concept Book
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People

“Human beings are powered by emotion, not by reason Study after study has proven that if the emotion centers of our brain are damaged in some way, we don’t just lose the ability to laugh or cry, we lose the ability to make decisions.” 1 likes