Start by marking “Don't Get Caught with Your Skirt Down: A Practical Girl's Recession Guide” as Want to Read:
Don't Get Caught with Your Skirt Down: A Practical Girl's Recession Guide

Don't Get Caught with Your Skirt Down: A Practical Girl's Recession Guide

A straightforward, no-nonsense, practical, woman-to-woman guide to understanding the economy and personal finance, navigating the sea of confusing investment options and cutting back on spending during this difficult, belt-tightening recession.

We’re in the midst of some of the toughest times we’ve ever seen. But it’s not time to panic—with some solid guidance and financial
Published December 30th 2008 by Atria Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Get Caught with Your Skirt Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Get Caught with Your Skirt Down

Amanda
Jan 18, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay book but it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be. It had some great tips in it, particularly about renting versus buying a home and it also had a great breakdown of the economic situation in 2008. It was also interested to read how the author and her husband have invested their money.

Overall, though, it felt a bit rushed and, honestly, the language was a little difficult to deal with. This is supposed to fall into the "smart chick lit" category but it read kind of dry at time
Susanna
Aug 20, 2010 Susanna rated it it was amazing
Lea
Feb 23, 2009 Lea rated it liked it
Shelves: current-events
This book skims on everything you've already heard, more or less. It was surprisingly readable, got through it in a few sittings. Jill Keto is funny and charming and entertaining. She is realistic as well. Some of the information is not as helpful as I hoped, if you're in debt her advice: pay it off. Duh! There's a lot about investing and starting a business, which didn't apply to me. There's also the pros and cons to buying a house, which I already did. And not too much help on what to do now ...more
The Lost Lola
Mar 15, 2009 The Lost Lola rated it it was ok
Shelves: economics
This book doesn't provide much more information then is already readily available, only Keto succeeds in offering even more depressing news about our current economical state. She doesn't offer much in the way of explanation, so it pays to read this with some knowledge of economic terminology (which I am lacking, so this was pretty much in jibberish to me). Some of the information provided was practical, but that included only about 2 chapters (how to track and spend wiser and how to haggle like ...more
Laurie
Feb 02, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Robin, so we can discuss it.
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This book is a perfect example of "don't judge a book by its cover". Once you get past the hokey title and cover art, you'll find common sense wisdom about finances. Author Jill Keto explains the recent economic downturn--her book is current right through October 2008--in ways that make sense to regular people, and she gives pointers for how to weather what's ahead. Highly recommended for all who are not financial experts!

Honestly though, I really hated the cover!
Amanda
Jan 18, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read on how to become a "recessionista". It was full of advice and information about the economy, how to financially prepare for the future and attempt to recession-proof your life. Some of the info was a bit obvious, but I learned a lot about econ 101 which I clearly missed in school. I think it's worth a quick read to fill in any blanks you might have on your current economics/financial/investment/prepare for the recession knowledge.
Katie
Jan 18, 2016 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on a fluke. I'm trying to educate myself on money issues. It was very easy to read and understand, but being 26, single, and still in school, I found some of the chapters didn't pertain to me. I did learn some helpful tips and I think later in life that I will go back to this book.
Kimberly
Jan 18, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book motivated me to become much more money savvy. It made me realize that I wasn't really seeing the big picture. Now, I feel equipped to make smarter financial decisions based on what I read in this book.
Liz Tarditi
Liz Tarditi rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2009
Katie Killian
Katie Killian rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2011
Mrs.George
Mrs.George rated it liked it
Harmony
Harmony rated it it was ok
May 28, 2009
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2009
Connie
Feb 05, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
some good practical ideas and a short lesson on economics.
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2009
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Anon
Anon rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2014
Clint Johnson
Clint Johnson rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Courtney Baltazar
Courtney Baltazar rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2010
Kimberlyannc
Kimberlyannc rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Toniann
Toniann rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2009
NinjaK
NinjaK rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Chrystal
Chrystal rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2009
Rachel Haimowitz
Rachel Haimowitz rated it it was amazing
Bonnie