Start by marking “Travels Through Middle Earth: The Path of a Saxon Pagan” as Want to Read:
Travels Through Middle Earth: The Path of a Saxon Pagan

Travels Through Middle Earth: The Path of a Saxon Pagan

Tolkien's enduring vision of Middle Earth was largely inspired by the worldview of ancient Saxon Pagans. In this pagan guidebook, Alaric Albertsson presents a complete introduction to Anglo-Saxon cosmology, deities, spirits, and rituals.

Travels Through Middle Earth offers practical information about the Saxon Pagan path, including many ways to incorporate Saxon rituals int
Published June 8th 2009 by Llewellyn Publications (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Travels Through Middle Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travels Through Middle Earth

Jenn Basel
Nov 30, 2013 Jenn Basel rated it really liked it
It’s 4:30 AM and it’s been a week or so since I read the book, but I’ve farted around long enough. Here goes.

It is my opinion that Travels Through Middle-Earth: The Path of a Saxon Pagan, by Alaric Albertsson, is a must-read for anybody interested in modern Anglo-Saxon paganism/heathenry.

I’m not sure what background Albertsson has when it comes to paganism, but he seems to know a bit about Wicca, and provides a little bit of compare/contrast between Wicca, Asatru, and Anglo-Saxon paganism/heath
Steve Cran
Feb 24, 2013 Steve Cran rated it really liked it
I am familiar with Asatru and the Heathen religion taken from the perspective of the Scandinavians and Icelanders. The original follower of the Norse deities were all pretty much Germanic or Anglo-Saxon. This book offers a beginner course from the view point of British Anglo-Saxon practice. For the most part is much the same. Rituals are very similar. The most glaring difference though is how they pronounce their words. For example Odin is not called Odin but he is rather called Woden. Freya is ...more
The Elves
Nov 29, 2015 The Elves rated it really liked it
The title of this book, Travels through Middle Earth: the Path of a Saxon Pagan is a little bit deceptive, in as much as the Middle Earth it speaks of is the Middle realm of Anglo-Saxon Norse mythology and not really Tolkien’s Middle Earth for the most part, although they are related, but still this is a good book on a subject, Saxon paganism, of which these elves knew little.

As the author points out, however, all of those of us who have been reared with English as a primary language, whether o
Cathy Douglas
I expected more from this than your basic Paganism 101, but that's what it turned out to be. There's not much to this volume but a little basic Asatru (the modern name for norse paganism), a little Wicca, and a mead recipe. The truth is that we probably won't ever know that much about Anglo-Saxon paganism, because these two races only emerged from the surrounding tribes when they got into conquering and smiting, by which time they were, of course, Christian. Most of the information that can be g ...more
Mike
Sep 01, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
A basic introduction to Anglo-Saxon paganism as the author practices it. I would have happily seen more depth and detail, but I do take Albertsson's point that he's consciously shying away from defining an orthopraxy. His clear outlay of basic terms and concepts, as well as his frequent comparisons/contrasts with other faiths and traditions, gave a solid view into his practice, especially for readers who already have some familiarity with other varieties of Euro-American paganism.

My main beef is
Carol Waller
Jan 02, 2015 Carol Waller rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
An intriguing look at a practicing Anglo-Saxon Pagan or Heathen as he says. Spends a lot of time showing the differences between the Norse pantheon and the Anglo-Saxon one (as well as throwing shade at Stan Lee). Feels English speakers should have more affinity for Anglo-Saxon as it is coded in our speech. But then again, the English language is a wide and vivid tapestry from many peoples, times and cultures. My orlay may have A-S influences, but it also has the books I read, the countries I gre ...more
Kevin
Jan 05, 2010 Kevin rated it liked it
Anyone seeking to pursue spirituality through Anglo-Saxon Paganism should start right here. This is as excellent an introduction to a particular faith as I've ever encountered. The author blends an abundance of practical and scholarly research, along with a pragmatic sense of humor, to relate basic information and useful rituals that everyone in such a pursuit could use. The book is not too long-winded, but still informative enough to make a precise start down this interesting path.

Unfortunately
Trampas Jones
Apr 11, 2013 Trampas Jones rated it it was ok
For those looking on a serious book on Saxon religion this is not it. Whch be guessed at seeing as Llewelyn published it. While many of the common myths in Saxon traditions he says are not true is correct I found his worldview, attitude and writing style to be very 90s and later neo-pagan. The first halve if the book was tolerable, albeit a bit paganism 101. The latter half of the book with holy days and rites of passage are so ludicrous I had a hard time finishing the book. If your a Wiccan or ...more
Daniel
May 06, 2010 Daniel rated it liked it
When I first picked up this book, I thought it would have something to do with J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth. Realized my mistake after getting it home and starting to actually read it!

All the same, Travels Through Middle Earth is interesting. It's a basic introduction to a modern reconstruction of ancient Anglo-Saxon pagan religion. When I say "basic," I mean just that, and that's my main complaint about this book. It's a little too basic--give me more information, please!

Compare to Brian Bates
Kati
Apr 01, 2016 Kati rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-life
While I found a couple of the author's ideas pretty far-fetched, over all I enjoyed his tone and the thoughts and ideas he shared. I've been curious the past couple years what the religions of my ancestors pre-christianity would have looked like, and this gives me a large piece of the puzzle. Though, he speaks to Anglo-Saxon Paganism, I would gather that it would be quite a bit the same whether those ancestors were Saxon immigrants to England, or residents of what are still German lands.
Ian Brunton
Sep 26, 2014 Ian Brunton rated it did not like it
Shelves: heathen
Disappointing. It's a very basic Asatru 101 book using Anglo-Saxon words instead of Norse words. There's hardly anything in this book that makes "Saxon Paganism" at all distinct from Asatru. The chapter on mead is utterly unnecessary. Toward the end, Albertsson makes a number of suspicious claims that really ought to be backed up with a citation or two. You'd learn more from an hour on Wikipedia.
Michelle
Oct 03, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginners to an Anglo-Saxon path
Recommended to Michelle by: Alaric Albertsson
I really enjoyed reading this book. Alaric is a wonderful author and provides excellent information for someone new to a Saxon path. This book really inspired me to move forward with my own Anglo-Saxon path and also, reconnect with my German heritage and ancestors. I can't wait to read more by Alaric!

Kendra
Basically an ANGLO-SAXON paganism 101 book. NOT Asatru, except in the similarities. A good basic overview, interesting read, discussing the views of Angle-Saxons. Did bring up the similarities with Norse, Scandinavian, and Germanic commonalities, but is not the same thing.
Bevan
Jan 02, 2013 Bevan rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
This book was fascinating... I loved how the author delved into the connections between the English language and Anglo-Saxon Paganism. Did this sway me to become a Pagan? Absolutely not... did it give me some much needed insight into this belief system? Absolutely yes. Easy, quick read.
Peter Cadoret
Dec 05, 2014 Peter Cadoret rated it liked it
Trying to cash in on the Tolkien frenzy this book provide an unsourced view of the recreation of the early anglo-saxon religion for the very basic beginner. It never gets into anything very deeply and seldom traces any practice back further than modern 1970s paganism. Disappointed.
Rhea
Apr 04, 2013 Rhea rated it really liked it
Calantirniel
Calantirniel rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
GMC
GMC rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Tim Rayborn
Tim Rayborn rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2016
Tressa
Tressa rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2012
Trever
Trever rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Preston
Preston rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2009
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Pixie
Pixie rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Starry
Starry rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Douglas Donaldson
Douglas Donaldson rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2017
Debbie~
Debbie~ rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Randomproxy
Randomproxy rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2017
Adam Travia
Adam Travia rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Lost Gods of England
  • History and Lore (Our Troth, #1)
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
  • Celtic Mythology
  • The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles: Their Nature and Legacy
  • Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions
  • A History of Pagan Europe
  • Comparative Mythology
  • The Real Middle-Earth: Magic and Mystery in the Dark Ages
  • Book of Pagan Prayer
  • The Call of the Horned Piper
  • Encyclopedia of Mystics, Saints & Sages: A Guide to Asking for Protection, Wealth, Happiness, and Everything Else!
  • The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why an Invented Past Will Not Give Women a Future
  • Pagan Spirituality: A Guide to Personal Transformation