Start by marking “Sarah's Cottage” as Want to Read:
Sarah's Cottage

Sarah's Cottage

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Recently married to Charles, Sarah is furnishing a cottage in Scotland and starting on a life in sharp contrast to their wartime experiences. Their full entrance into village life is helped by Sarah's delightful grandparents, who have given them the land on which they have built their cottage. They work together, collaborating in translations for a publisher. Charles embar ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 434 pages
Published January 1st 2009 by ISIS Large Print Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah's Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah's Cottage

Sara
I suspect I'm coming close to categorizing myself as a Dessie (DES enthusiast). Maybe it's the idea of a simpler time, the easy pace, the richness of relationships among the characters. I especially appreciate the "others-centric" quality of many of DES's characters. Selflessness was not only accepted, but expected. We could do worse than to embrace this beautiful Christian quality.

In this sequel to Sarah Morris Remembers, Sarah demonstrates selflessness in her graceful relationship with husband
Ann
This is the sequel to "Sarah Morris remembers". WWII is over, Sarah and her Austrian-born husband Charles are married and ready to settle down in a delightful cottage near her grandparents. As is typical for D.E. Stevenson's books, nothing much happens - we just follow the couple's lives. The plot, if there is one, revolves around Frederica, Sarah's niece, who is shamefully neglected by her tycoon father and selfish mother. Sarah and Charles spend as much time as they can with the girl and see h ...more
Carolyn
The sequel to "Sarah Remembers". Sarah and Charles create a lovely life together and save a young niece in the process. A story of another type of life style than our modern rush. A favorite.
Alisha
Begins as a country idyll, with a couple fresh off their honeymoon coming home to their new cottage in Scotland. The kind of book where delightful things seem the norm, like when they arrive unexpectedly early and figure that because there's been no time to stock the kitchen with food, they'll have to stay in a hotel for one night, but lo and behold, someone mysteriously found out they were coming and filled the pantry. As the book continues, a few sad or temporarily alarming things happen, but ...more
Susan
I've been re-reading Stevenson, but maybe this isn't the time for it: Her characters seem superficial and privileged this time through. Sarah and Charles, after their wartime experiences, settle into a cottage built on her grandfather's estate. They are glad for visits from her niece Fredericka, whose own mother is cold and indifferent. People get older. Charles, with Sarah's help, writes a book. If you're in the right mood, of course, this is a heart-warming novel of the Scottish borders, with ...more
Sharen
Takes us back in time to an era of cozy homes and family life. Not nostalgic for the way women acted vis a vis men and society mid-20th century though! Luckily, the human heart doesn't change and there are still valuable insights to be found in her characters.
Hannah
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars
Linda K
Quite enjoyable, following Sarah and Charles, as they settle into their Scottish home as newlyweds. Their lives are full of mostly good things. Although childless, they fill in as parents for their neice Freddie, whose parents are too busy and indifferent to care about their daughter.

Descriptions of their home, relatives and their day to day wanderings throughout the countryside are delightful.

A very good read.
Lora
This book is EXACTLY me! I have never "met" a book so perfectly in tune with my interests and thoughts. In fact, because I'm traveling overseas where I can't get another D.E. Stevenson right away, I for the first time in my life started to reread a book (this book) immediately!
Amy
I would give this a 3 1/2. I enjoyed it, but Miss Buncle's Book was better. All of the interiors mentioned were a delight to imagine!
Textmaven
Sep 14, 2011 Textmaven marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I took it apart in my book history class. Not sure if I should read it signature by signature.
Beth
A good sequel, but not quite as good as Sarah Morris Remembers.
Cynthia Smith
Cynthia Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Dawn-gale
Dawn-gale marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Kathy Garrelts
Kathy Garrelts marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable.
More about D.E. Stevenson...
Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1) Miss Buncle Married Mrs. Tim Christie The Two Mrs. Abbotts The Young Clementina