Start by marking “People Might Hear You” as Want to Read:
People Might Hear You

People Might Hear You

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After her aunt, who is her guardian, marries the forbidding Mr. Tyrell, twelve-year-old Frances is introduced to the mysterious temple and its strange fanatical beliefs.
Published September 1st 1997 by Puffin (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about People Might Hear You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Might Hear You

Emma Hoare
I haven't read this book since I was a teenager but I have remembered it ever since. This book affected me deeply. I enjoyed reading it at the time and thinking how realistic it was. I will have to revisit this one because this book and Robin Klein imprinted themselves on me as highlights of my reading list back then.
Jessica

Despite being young adult fiction, I really enjoyed this book! A tale of an unusual religion, and a young girls desperate attempts to escape!

The most compelling thing about this book is its realism, it makes me think of those cults you see on the news, with really unusual beliefs that are forced upon many members, and children that haven't had the opportunity to know anything else.

Finished this one In a day, so it's a nice easy read, but not overly simplistic, I felt it was really well written
Nikki
This is the only book i read in school, that i had any desire to read again!!

Interesting topic!

Wish Robin would write a sequel!!
Breanne
I know what you're thinking, one star? That's a little bit harsh.
I read this book for my English class and I can honestly say I disliked it. I had such a hard time getting through it and if it wasn't a required read, I definitely wouldn't have bothered finishing it. The ending was unsatisfying and left questions unanswered. The whole book felt slow and dragged. I won't be reading this again and am glad to have finally finished it.
Sofia Stenroos
I've been in love with this book for over a decade now, it still gets to me!

I've been searching the internet, book shops and shops that sells second hand books for this gem, but I'm out off luck!

I need to read this pearl again, it's wonderful and it should be made into a film just like The Giver was!
Julia
I read this book when I was a teenager, and I still have really strong memories of how unnerving I found it. It wasn't an easy book for me to get in to, mostly because of how different the lifestyle was, but once you made the mindset leap the book became really dark and very interesting.
Jennie
This is one of those books that stuck in my mind even though I've not read it in about twenty years.
Arlene Allen
I sure wish I could remember the storyline of every single book I've read....
A Black
This book is the worst book i've ever read it is a piece of fu**** sh**
Frank
this is the worst F****** book I have ever read it is a Piece of S***.
Kristi
I read this book for the first time about 30 years ago and read it over and over again in my teens. This is what started my fascination with cults. It was so scary and sinister and really made you think - the story wasn't spoonfed to you like many young adult books were back then.
Carly Tebbutt
Despite this being a book I had to read for class, I really enjoyed it and I think it is definitely worth the read!

It was at times creepy, but I found myself getting literally angry at some of the characters - The Step-Father, Claire and the Aunty. At other times I felt incredibly sorry for characters like Helen - she has absolutely no idea what the world outside the walls of the "Temple" is like.

It opened my eyes to a whole new world of religious cults, and Robin Klein captured this world throu
Sophie D
I loved this book so much. My mum gave it to me when I was about 8 and it'd been in my bookshelf for the longest time and I had always really wanted to read it. This book wasn't what I'd expected at all. It was so short and quick that it never really had a boring moment. The only downside was that it ended at the climax but other than that it was an amazing book about religion and life.
I read this book over 15 years ago as a teenager and loved it. The story line has stuck with me for a long time and it is one that ignited my love for books. I have not re read it recently and am slightyl hesitant just in case it doesn't live up to the memory. At the time I loved it.
Rebecca
Deals with a girl whose aunt (who's also her guardian) marrries into a family which is part of a wierd cult. Some pish poshy discussion/exploration on indoctrination, assimilation into belief systems etc, with the only 2 likeable characters eventually escaping into the night.
Mel
I've read this numerous times over since I was a young teenager. Now in my early 30's every now and then I revisit a novel from those days! ;) This is pretty cool, but Taronga and (especially) Playing Beatie Bow really are excellent. Worth a read, nonetheless.
Nicole
I read this book as a teenager, and thought it would be interesting to re-read it as a adult, as I thought it was a great book. I did enjoy reading this book again - probably a little bit simplistic (to be expected as it is aimed at juniors), but I liked the premise.
Jacqueline King
I pretty much hated every book my school assigned me - except this one. Even now, several years later I still remember it. I remember the emotions it evoked - anger, frustration, sadness, even fear. In interesting insight into the inner workings of a cult.
Sally
I have read this so many times. An absolute gem of a book - creepy and unfair and exciting and scary and everything wonderful! Except I always wanted a sequel... or at least another chapter? And to this day, I am still curious. Sigh!
Julian
Picked up this book at Robert Harris cafe in Greymouth, New Zealand. It is a "bookcrossing.com" book travelling around the world. It is geared towards the young teen audience, yet I couldn't put it down. It took a day to read.
Laura Morrigan
This book always creeped me out, and yet I read it several times. If you liked this, you might also like: The Passion Flower Massacre http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...
dick head
I was very discusted with this book, no idea why they made this book.. waste of my bloody time. I appreciate if you take this book out of this world. I do not recommend to read this book, or buy it.
Shanelle Kennedy
I was given this book in grade 3 at school and loved it so much that I refused to return it, and to this day it's still on my bookshelf :)
Stella Davies
Wonderful and inspiring story! I own this and have read it multiple times. Robin Klein is a fantastic and creative writer.
Elisa
One of my childhood faves... have read it quite a few times. I love Robin Klein. This is even more eerie as an adult!
Jehs
Quite creepy to read as a young kid, but still interesting. I remember not wanting to put it down.
Godsprincess
really good and enjoyed it heaps

Joz Hunter
kids book. read when i was a kid and loved it.
Dimi
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Blinky Bill
  • My Place
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • Storm Boy
  • Round the Twist (Uncollected)
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • For Love Alone
  • So Much to Tell You (So Much to Tell You, #1)
  • Galax-Arena
  • Wombat Stew
  • The Gathering
  • The Twyborn Affair
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
205124
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).
More about Robin Klein...
Hating Alison Ashley Came Back To Show You I Could Fly The Listmaker Penny Pollard's Diary Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (Zyrgon, #1)