Start by marking “Rapid Descent” as Want to Read:
Rapid Descent

Rapid Descent

The kayak trip was supposed to be a honeymoon. But when Nell and Joe Stevens are caught in a flash flood, Nell is swept under, trapped and loses consciousness. When she awakes, safe on shore, she finds a note from Joe, explaining that he has gone for help. He never returns.The search that follows raises more questions than it answers. About the family he never mentioned, w ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published January 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rapid Descent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapid Descent

Janet Robel
Sep 16, 2014 Janet Robel rated it liked it
After reading this book, I sure wouldn't want to do any kayaking. In the beginning, I kept wondering if Nell was going to make it. As the story moves on, we are still left wondering what happened to her new husband, Joe. The mystery was good with Nell waking up from being unconscious and not really sure what happened to her and wondering why Joe never reached help. Then as the years go by, she still searches for answers. With the help of a police officer named Orson, she may finally get those an ...more
Joe White
Dec 09, 2013 Joe White rated it liked it
Shelves: on-shelf, fiction
For a white water kayaker, this might be an absorbing read.
I thought that the overall approach needed editing for conciseness. For a murder mystery, the impact of the surprising twists was often lost in padded dialogue or actions.
While it was obvious that the main character was a strong willed independent woman, I thought that the fact was reiterated too often.
The lead sheriff, investigator should have played a stronger role instead of being a background presence. The presentation of his charact
Diana
Sep 17, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok
A friend gave me this book and I was sure I wanted to read it. It is about a group of people who have a river trip business (includes kyaks and float trips) I know nothing about "river rats" and riding the rapids. Quite frankly I am afraid of water and wouldn't ever want to take a trip. However, I did learn a lot about rafting and kyaking and this book is a good murder mysery.
Joe and Nell are newly married and since they don't have a lot of money decide to take a river trip by themselves for th
Rhonda
Dec 30, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-read
Enjoyable book, but the author went into extreme detail about kayaking and white water rafting that left me confused since I have no background of either. Nell wasn't a bad character and I loved JJ; he was a riot. The male main character was not that great for me. And the love story between Nell and Orson; there really wasn't anything until they declare their love at the end. No real development there.
Patricia
Aug 17, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book. Technically, it is romantic suspense, but it is way heavy on the suspense. And way heavy on descriptions of white-water running in rafts and kayaks. It is rich in description of scenery and of the folks who make a living as business people and guides. As I used to enjoy water sports a lot, I really enjoyed this book. I have only done a little fast water running, so I loved reading about it.

The characterization is good. Had a few doubts about a six-year-old as precocio
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:

This book starts as a drama around a river kayaking trip. But disaster befalls the main characters.

Then the plot thickens as new characters are introduced, who lend a deceptive shadow which draws the reader to an exciting finale.
Anita
Sep 18, 2012 Anita rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I took a white water raft trip 2 years ago and was facinated by the different experience an individual has as opposed to a group trip. Loved the narretive explaining the kayak terms and what can go so very wrong on a river. I really hated it when the cops all but accused Nell of the murder of Joe. After reading what she went through and then having the cops not believe it was an accident, I was ready to hurl the book across the room... But, what would a mystery be without a murder. The second ha ...more
Anke
Aug 11, 2015 Anke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed boek. Gedeeltelijk voorspelbaar, maar ook een wat onverwachte ontknoping.
Kim
Nov 09, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
It was a good book.
Harlequin Boeken
Een thriller die zich afspeelt in de wereld van het wildwatervaren – ik wist eigenlijk niet of dat iets voor mij was. Maar het antwoord bleek volmondig ‘ja’! Een fascinerende setting , en een beklemmende thriller op de koop toe.
- Harriët Vierdag, Harlequin
Tony
Sep 02, 2013 Tony rated it it was amazing
My first book by Gwen Hunter. She is an excellent fiction author. That she wrote this book on a subject I enjoy was a big factor, but I'm looking forward to trying some more of her work in the future. Now, I need to see her other pen names.
Terrie
Feb 22, 2009 Terrie rated it liked it
Recommended to Terrie by: 1/1/09
Probably would have enjoyed this more if I were into whitewater rafting. However, even so, the plot was a little weak and overshadowed by all the kayaking detail. There are also some loose ends that are unsatisfactorily tied up.
Catherine
Happened to read this during a trip that included a white water rafting adventure! Talk about timing is everything!!! Great book -- totally surprised at the ending.
Olean Public Library
Sep 08, 2009 Olean Public Library rated it did not like it
At times there was way too much narration. One could get bogged down by kayaking terms. The mystery had a twist. Whodunnit was not obvious overall a good story line.
Dana
Jul 19, 2010 Dana rated it really liked it
really good book! didn't care for all the specific details about river gear but kept reading and it only got better! so don't give up reading this!
Andra
Dec 20, 2013 Andra rated it liked it
a lot of technical stuff about white water rafting , but still interesting.
Philip
Aug 19, 2012 Philip rated it it was amazing
Could not put this thriller down till I found out who Done it!
Stacia
Apr 08, 2009 Stacia rated it liked it
This was one of the better Mira titles!
Terry
Jun 14, 2012 Terry rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book.
Charisa Flaherty
Jun 28, 2013 Charisa Flaherty rated it liked it
Easy, fun read
Muzette Alcocer
Muzette Alcocer marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
J
J marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
anita. hendrix
anita. hendrix marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Astrid Langeveld
Astrid Langeveld marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Ashlyn
Ashlyn marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Toni Thomas
Toni Thomas rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • No Escape
  • Sight Unseen
  • Last Girl Dancing
  • Now You Die
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane, #2)
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Die Süße des Lebens
  • Vector
  • Sinners and Saints
  • The Devil's Pitchfork (Derek Stillwater, #1)
  • The Soul Collector
  • Castles in the Mist (Akora, #3)