Start by marking “Rapid Descent” as Want to Read:
Rapid Descent

Rapid Descent

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The kayak trip was supposed to be a honeymoon. But when Nell and Joe Stevens are caught in a flash flood, Nell is swept under, trapped and loses consciousness. When she awakes, safe on shore, she finds a note from Joe, explaining that he has gone for help. He never returns.The search that follows raises more questions than it answers. About the family he never mentioned, w ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published January 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rapid Descent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapid Descent

Janet Robel
After reading this book, I sure wouldn't want to do any kayaking. In the beginning, I kept wondering if Nell was going to make it. As the story moves on, we are still left wondering what happened to her new husband, Joe. The mystery was good with Nell waking up from being unconscious and not really sure what happened to her and wondering why Joe never reached help. Then as the years go by, she still searches for answers. With the help of a police officer named Orson, she may finally get those an ...more
Joe White
For a white water kayaker, this might be an absorbing read.
I thought that the overall approach needed editing for conciseness. For a murder mystery, the impact of the surprising twists was often lost in padded dialogue or actions.
While it was obvious that the main character was a strong willed independent woman, I thought that the fact was reiterated too often.
The lead sheriff, investigator should have played a stronger role instead of being a background presence. The presentation of his charact
Diana
A friend gave me this book and I was sure I wanted to read it. It is about a group of people who have a river trip business (includes kyaks and float trips) I know nothing about "river rats" and riding the rapids. Quite frankly I am afraid of water and wouldn't ever want to take a trip. However, I did learn a lot about rafting and kyaking and this book is a good murder mysery.
Joe and Nell are newly married and since they don't have a lot of money decide to take a river trip by themselves for th
Rhonda
Enjoyable book, but the author went into extreme detail about kayaking and white water rafting that left me confused since I have no background of either. Nell wasn't a bad character and I loved JJ; he was a riot. The male main character was not that great for me. And the love story between Nell and Orson; there really wasn't anything until they declare their love at the end. No real development there.
Patricia
This is a really good book. Technically, it is romantic suspense, but it is way heavy on the suspense. And way heavy on descriptions of white-water running in rafts and kayaks. It is rich in description of scenery and of the folks who make a living as business people and guides. As I used to enjoy water sports a lot, I really enjoyed this book. I have only done a little fast water running, so I loved reading about it.

The characterization is good. Had a few doubts about a six-year-old as precocio
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:

This book starts as a drama around a river kayaking trip. But disaster befalls the main characters.

Then the plot thickens as new characters are introduced, who lend a deceptive shadow which draws the reader to an exciting finale.
Anita
I took a white water raft trip 2 years ago and was facinated by the different experience an individual has as opposed to a group trip. Loved the narretive explaining the kayak terms and what can go so very wrong on a river. I really hated it when the cops all but accused Nell of the murder of Joe. After reading what she went through and then having the cops not believe it was an accident, I was ready to hurl the book across the room... But, what would a mystery be without a murder. The second ha ...more
Kim
It was a good book.
Harlequin Boeken
Een thriller die zich afspeelt in de wereld van het wildwatervaren – ik wist eigenlijk niet of dat iets voor mij was. Maar het antwoord bleek volmondig ‘ja’! Een fascinerende setting , en een beklemmende thriller op de koop toe.
- Harriët Vierdag, Harlequin
Tony
My first book by Gwen Hunter. She is an excellent fiction author. That she wrote this book on a subject I enjoy was a big factor, but I'm looking forward to trying some more of her work in the future. Now, I need to see her other pen names.
Terrie
Feb 22, 2009 Terrie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terrie by: 1/1/09
Probably would have enjoyed this more if I were into whitewater rafting. However, even so, the plot was a little weak and overshadowed by all the kayaking detail. There are also some loose ends that are unsatisfactorily tied up.
Catherine
Happened to read this during a trip that included a white water rafting adventure! Talk about timing is everything!!! Great book -- totally surprised at the ending.
Olean Public Library
At times there was way too much narration. One could get bogged down by kayaking terms. The mystery had a twist. Whodunnit was not obvious overall a good story line.
Dana
really good book! didn't care for all the specific details about river gear but kept reading and it only got better! so don't give up reading this!
Andra
a lot of technical stuff about white water rafting , but still interesting.
Philip
Could not put this thriller down till I found out who Done it!
Stacia
This was one of the better Mira titles!
Terry
I could not finish this book.
Melanie T. Moore
Melanie T. Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ren
Ren marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Babette
Babette is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Shelia Devine
Shelia Devine marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
May 10, 2015
Beret Brenckman
Beret Brenckman marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Inferno
  • Watching Amanda
  • Kiss of Death
  • Final Breath
  • Midnight Rain
  • Every Fear (Jason Wade #2)
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane #2)
  • Share No Secrets
  • The Soul Collector
  • Dangerous Deception (The Protectors, #27)
  • Sinners and Saints
  • Now You Die
  • The Devil's Pitchfork (Derek Stillwater, #1)
  • Die Süße des Lebens
  • Tell Tale
  • Castles in the Mist (Akora, #3)
  • The Dollmaker
Delayed Diagnosis (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #1) Sleep Softly Prescribed Danger (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #2) Grave Concerns (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #4) Deadly Remedy (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #3)